Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

KelTec sub 2000

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by boogerhook, Apr 2, 2015.

1. boogerhook

boogerhook Seattle Well-Known Member

After another member on this forum mentioned a KelTec sub 2000 for home defense, I started to look into it. It has a compelling design in that it folds in half and easily fits into a laptop bag or any other non-conspicuous container (back pack while hiking). It's also light weight. Something to keep in your car (unloaded of course) but ready to go when needed. I like the concept a lot, however I have had not so great experiences with KelTec's PMR30, so I am vary about reliability.

Can you chime in? Have one in 9mm or .40? Thanks for sharing.

2. TastyWheat87

TastyWheat87 Washington Active Member

I have a friend who purchased a sub 2000 in 2010. He had major feeding and jamming issues. This is the only hands-on experience I have ever had with one.

That being said, I love the design, and have wanted one for a long time.

They just announced the Gen 2, which has several nice enhancements addressing concerns with the previous version. I plan to pick one up if I ever see one for a reasonable (not above MSRP) price, since these things are pretty hard to find.

Good luck.

boogerhook likes this.
  3. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I had a friend that had one, he liked it, but I never got a chance to try it myself. I too like the concept and wouldn't be above getting one if the price was right. Like was noted above, wait for the Gen2 models coming out this year (announced at Shot Show). They have changed the manufacturing process and stated that it's supposed to make them more available and bring the price down. Apparently one of the issues with availability in the past had to do with the plastic molding - they had to hand trim each piece. New processes have apparently eliminated that time consuming step. Reliability of newer models seems to be very good. If they can get them out at a reasonable price, I might be interested too.

boogerhook and BoonDocks36 like this.
  4. etrain16

Of course, if you want something compact (though not quite as short), you could consider a Mech Tech CCU with a collapsible stock. Base model is only $400, probably $500 with a collapsible stock. Then you just need a Glock, 1911 or XD lower to attach to it. And those are available now and appear to be very well made and very reliable.

boogerhook and BVB like this.
  5. BoonDocks36

BoonDocks36 Oregon, in the boondocks Christian. Conservative. Male.

I own the Sub 2000, 9mm in S&W Magazine style, as that matches my Kel-Tec P11.

Older models did have a problem with ejection, but the companies Life Time repair is great, so they had a Fix for it...

I am glad to know that there is a Gen 2 coming out, because Minus the one issue, the Concept is GREAT.!!!!

If you locate the Kel-Tec Owners forum, you will find that pne member even made a custom Shoulder Carry device, which Carried it folded, and as you brought it out, to use, it also went into full locked ready to use!

Great concept!

If I had over to do again, I would go with the Glock Magazine variation, and mate up to my Glock.... Oh, Oops I sold that to my Brother!!!!

philipINtheBoonDocks Yes, I would Buy another Glock 9 MM to match it!!! :)

boogerhook and etrain16 like this.
  6. 40calruler

40calruler Lake Oswego Well-Known Member

I have had the Kel Tec and the High point 9mm rifles. Kel Tec never had an issue but high point had to be sent back to the factory after I bought it used. They stand behind their lifetime guarantee as I am pretty sure that they just put my serial number on a new rifle and shipped it back to my doorstep.
    Kel Tec and High point ended up both being very reliable and fun. I liked the folding stock a lot and surprisingly accurate at reasonable distances. I would say the Kel Tec is a great gun for fun at first and once you break it in it would be a solid self defense gun. I never thought of either as that when I had both. Just really fun plinking guns!

boogerhook and BoonDocks36 like this.
  7. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

Mine ran perfectly with mild recoil and decent accuracy. The only thing I don't like is the reciprocating charging handle which will bite the person who is unaware of the issue.

boogerhook likes this.
  8. Blackcobra

Blackcobra Camas Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

I have a Kel Tec Sub9 - the all-metal one which is the original model before the Sub 2000. It is really fun to shoot, and I bought a leather briefcase for it - fits perfectly in there with several mags.

AngryRedTicTac and boogerhook like this.
  9. 40calruler

As far as annoying issue I would say the High Point has the win for me as a shooter. The shock absorbing stock and heavier frame made it have no recoil and the worst it did was eject casing for a mile! Thing felt like a .22 to me.

boogerhook and etrain16 like this.
  10. NoFlinch

NoFlinch In a van down by the river Owner of Cocaine addicted dog.

A friend has both the 9mm & 40 cal model.:)

I think he originally had a few issues with one, but none now.:)
    He shoots them both on a regular basis.:)

I have shot both a couple of times, running a few mags thru each time.

They are fun to shoot, but I can't really think of a real NEED for one....:confused:

He paid around $300 each for his...............Now they sell for $600 +/-.:rolleyes:

If I could find one for $300, I'd buy it:D.

Why, you ask.............Cuz they're :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:....................;):D

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    boogerhook, 40calruler and etrain16 like this.
  11. etrain16

I will agree with you there. I owned a Hi-Point 9mm carbine. It's heavy, which means little recoil, and it handles well. If only it had a double-stack magazine, I probably would have kept it. I eventually ended up with a Beretta CX4 as my 9mm carbine. It's very nice, but not everyone's cup of tea.

Alfonse and boogerhook like this.
  12. Hayshaker

Hayshaker Irrigon Active Member

13. 40calruler

I want a CX4 but have not got around to it yet. I love that I could use my 30 round 92 mags in that. All those carbines are worth it if you just want a super fun gun in what used to be a cheap easy to find caliber. I had to go check a nasty old house on the property that some crack heads tried to use as home for a inlaw that lives in the country and all I had was the high point a while back. I threw a laser/light combo on one of the rails..another plus of the gun with 4 rails. They ended up being long gone but that thing with a laser and no recoil was a comforting gun to have in my hands. Heavy enough to use to hit someone if need be.
    Kel Tec ran me 300 and high point 150 used. If they still had those price tags I would own both again.

etrain16 likes this.
  14. 40calruler

More on point I think you will absolutely not regret buying the Kel Tec. Such an easy gun to fall in love with.

NoFlinch likes this.
  15. Blackcobra

Blackcobra Camas Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

FYI - my Sub 9 uses the Beretta 92 mags.

16. 40calruler

Yes I would be just as happy with that again as long as it used those mags. I just want the CX4 as I have owned most other carbines and have yet to get to enjoy that one.

17. Hayshaker

Hayshaker Irrigon Active Member

I have a sub 2000 in 40 w/Glock magzaines and have shot several thousand rounds through it ~ all reloads.
    It has been very reliable. Have it sighted in for 50 yards and think it would be a good home defensive weapon. Especially with the red dot sight on it
    Recoil is a little stiff ~ very manageable. Use only 155 gr bullets and can load lighter loads from maximum. Would I buy it again YES in a minute. It's a fun gun to shoot.

boogerhook likes this.
  18. etrain16

Mine came set up to use PX4 magazines, but it's an easy swap of 2 parts to convert it to use 92 mags. That's what I ended up doing since I don't have a PX4. I got the whole thing plus (5) new PX4 mags for $579 delivered, cheapest price I've found them anywhere. About $30 in parts to convert it to 92 mags. Then I just sold those extra PX4 mags. And yes, those 30-round mags are nice, I've got several.

40calruler and boogerhook like this.
  19. boogerhook

boogerhook Seattle Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pointer, that is indeed interesting...
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/jeremy-s/mechtech-c-c-u/

etrain16 likes this.
  20. etrain16

Yep, I've seen that video. I'm planning to get one, just can't decide which caliber - either .45 or 10mm. He makes a nice case for the 10mm by showing that .40SW shoots through it as well. If that's the case, I'll probably lean toward the 10mm model.

Good luck in your search.

boogerhook likes this.