Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Keltec PLR 16 or RDB

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by boogerhook, Feb 7, 2016.

1. boogerhook

boogerhook Seattle Well-Known Member

I am considering both the PLR 16 as well as the RDB bullpup for an HD gun. Both of them have their design advantages, and one has a price advantage (actually the RDB is cheaper than a Tavor, so that counts as well), but my main concern is reliability. Anyone have experience with these two. I did not like the PMR30, very finicky with ammo, so I am more careful with Keltec now. Thanks for any advise.

2. HarryHaller

HarryHaller Kalama, WA Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I've shot a lot a fair amount of Keltec guns, I think they have some cool designs, but I've never been super impressed when shooting them. The trigger on the PLR 16 feels so thin and plasticy. The one gun I really enjoyed is the RFB, however after shooting a couple hundred rounds through it a weld failed. Customer service wasn't helpful at all. That whole experience with a $1600 gun, really put me off Kel-Tec. I'm not trying to trash Kel-Tec just stating my experiences.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Sgt Nambu and boogerhook like this.
  3. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'm sorry, KrapTec!

4. boogerhook

yea, looks like that ...

5. Boboclown

Boboclown North Carolina Well-Known Member

Tbh, when going for a bullpup I'd just stick with what's proven to work. The RDB is cool and all, but it kind of stops at the cool factor IMO.

boogerhook likes this.
  6. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

The only Kel Tec I trust is the P32 because the 32acp is not likely to over-stress the parts and it is the only thing light enough for my wife to carry in yoga pants.

7. odinforever2000

odinforever2000 Eugene,Or New Member

If you can find one, RDB is a neat gun. Its got alot of the features I had to Buy to put on my Gen 1 RFB (Underside rails, sling mounts, kydex checkrest..). Ian from fogottenweapons (youtube channel) did a review of the rifle and was impressed with it over the Tavor.

I dont have a PLR 16..but the RDB is a nice rifle.With an 1-4x optic it weighs the same as my RFB naked. I haven't seen any negative reviews on the RDB (Not from Iraqveteran8888 or Military arms channel) and personally, I like it..

Here is a full review on FULL 30 https://www.full30.com/video/55706c01c15ef0aeef3b9b4c8e0f025b

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  8. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

My P3AT ran flawlessly. The KSG broke a forend which was covered under warrantee. The Sub2000 ran great but would occasionally not go completely into battery on the first round. I would buy another P3AT with no hesitation. The other two were great fun at the range but not perfect, and lost a lot of value in a few years. So I'm not as big a fan as I used to be.

9. SCARed

SCARed Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Kel-tech are range toys only. Some have cool unique designs, but all have their problems. They aren't something you'd want to bet your life on.

10. boogerhook

saving for a Tavor sounds like a better option

11. revjen45

revjen45 Snohomish County Well-Known Member

A firearm based on a military design has had its beta testing done by a govt. entity that has a lot more resources than Kel Tec. Not too many gun companies have the wherewithall to put a rifle through the rigors of the Battle of Stalingrad. The M91 M-N may not be suitable as a base upon which to build an elegant sporter (ala the M98 Mauser) but they kept on tickin' under the most arduous conditions imagineable. Israeli weapons are designed to work all of the time and the Israeli govt has a bigger R&D budget than K-T. Also, K-T is building guns to sell to the public while Israel is building guns for its sons and daughters to defend the nation, people, and faith. If I were going to buy a bullpup auto for the kind of serious social work foreseen in the Book of Revelation I would choose the Tavor.