JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another couple hundred rounds through it today. Oil is much better for suppressed shooting than grease. Ran without hiccup this time. Got Funke's up yes, but kept eating everything I fed it. No more rimlock as I'm pretty much used to loading the mags now. Both hold 33 now without issues.

This gun loves standard velocity cci. I'm thinking it may end up just eating that more than my bulk stuff.

I'm undecided if working the bolt and inner rails with some polishing compound would help it any. It can feel like it's on the verge of not having enough oomph to push the next round off the magazine at times. Recoil spring isn't much.

The charging handle is my biggest dislike thus far. It's just kind of funky really. Hopefully someone comes up with a aftermarket replacement.

Oh and it's newest configuration is pretty much how this thing should ship in my opinion.

210D9576-4F54-480E-A69B-77F4C67C7F30.jpeg

I'm glad you're liking it......but......

THIS is a fine example of why I'll never own a Kel-Tec. They are just lousy made guns. Look at all the issues you've had so far. Mags don't load well, front end issues, hard to clean, etc.

They are a lazy company with lazy engineers. And they are fine releasing products that have issue after issue. I get that ALL manufacturers release "Friday" specimens here and there but KT is just lazy and doesn't care. Look what happened when you reached out to them. Did they care to make things right with their customer? Nope! They thanked you for being a beta tester and finding an issue their "crack" engineering team overlooked.

Enjoy your firearm. :)

I feel ya.

I think that's the new industry though. Lots of companies work that way now. Sig with their 365 and the one that would fire when dropped before it. The numerous Palmetto stuff that has a second or third generation model. Even Rugers new PC Carbine was soft recalled, aka hush recalled, due to some problems with the first batch shipped. Over the many years I've been involved in gun industry related stuff, I'd say just about most big names are guilty of beta testing on the end user.

The one thing that is good about it is that at least these companies are trying to bring new stuff to the market. This pistol is highly unique and has really nice features. Something that would likely never have come to the market on its own with a tiny company.

I'd imagine if I had a really bad problem or defect Kel-Tec would remedy the problem. They are big enough for that.

Also note the pricing on most of their products, they aren't exactly expensive.

I feel ya.

I think that's the new industry though. Lots of companies work that way now. Sig with their 365 and the one that would fire when dropped before it. The numerous Palmetto stuff that has a second or third generation model. Even Rugers new PC Carbine was soft recalled, aka hush recalled, due to some problems with the first batch shipped. Over the many years I've been involved in gun industry related stuff, I'd say just about most big names are guilty of beta testing on the end user.

The one thing that is good about it is that at least these companies are trying to bring new stuff to the market. This pistol is highly unique and has really nice features. Something that would likely never have come to the market on its own with a tiny company.

I'd imagine if I had a really bad problem or defect Kel-Tec would remedy the problem. They are big enough for that.

Also note the pricing on most of their products, they aren't exactly expensive.

I agree. I just get frustrated at the "beta testing" firearm manufacturers seem to be ok with. Sig isn't off the hook with me either. The P320 and the 365 should have NEVER been released to consumers in their native configurations.

At least Sig doesn't have screws all over their products holding the two halves together. That pizz poor manufacturing gets me every time. Reminds me of my Entertech water gun I had as a kid. Feels about the same too.

It's a relatively easy way to manufacture a gun by doing it in half's. If you machine a part, the more you move it the more it has to be re-indexed, the great chances it can become sloppy or have more tolerance issues. Ask me how I know, my short lived time at TNW Firearms. Lol. Injection molding on a mold is fairly straightforward. Yes it might have to be assembled with screws, but I wouldn't call it lazy. Just an easier way to get a gun together with no machining. The molds should come out pretty much identical every time.

I get it you don't like them. But it sounds like you haven't really shot or owned any? Just basic bias off internet stuff? Nothing wrong with that. However, the same ideology can be applied to lots of things. I think Glock is lazy for never actually creating anything new. They are like Apple, re-re-re-releasing the same thing with minor changes and calling it the next savior and grace. Just plain lazy.

This guns mags are hard to load at first, as was most of my Glock 33 rounders. None of them held 33 rounds the first time either.

This gun has also eaten every piece of ammo I put in it. So that's worth noting?

I mentioned things like the way it is designed, but it isn't no harder to clean than the barrel extension of an AR15 or all the books and crannies that get gunked up in a Ruger 10-22 receiver. Just me noting things for others. Trying to be thorough. I'm bored.

If I wasn't anal and wanted to ensure my silencer threaded to the barrels shoulder, I'm certain I wouldn't have needed to sand the front end down to make me feel better about it. If i cranked the can on I bet the plastic would have moved enough or it wouldn't have been an issue. Just me being Amal about baffle strikes as I had an end cap strike with a POS cheap three lug already. That and anyone without a can wouldn't even be bothered by this. If it was even an issue in theirs.

The receiver tolerance to bolt is very snug. On a 1911 that would be considered a great thing, here it's bad? I just mentioned that because I've noticed sloppy actions tend to be better for dirty 22lrs.

Not trying to put you on the spot, just talking to talk. I think this gun is fun and lots will buy it. Nothing wrong with it to be honest. Just my reviews. Sorry they tipped you further into not wanting a keltec! If you want some time behind this guy let me know. Maybe you'll come over to a maybe. ;)

Maybe Kel-Tec will make a .17HMR version and name it the DH-17. :p:cool:

LOL! @TeacherSmurf would instantly acquire one. :D

It's a relatively easy way to manufacture a gun by doing it in half's. If you machine a part, the more you move it the more it has to be re-indexed, the great chances it can become sloppy or have more tolerance issues. Ask me how I know, my short lived time at TNW Firearms. Lol. Injection molding on a mold is fairly straightforward. Yes it might have to be assembled with screws, but I wouldn't call it lazy. Just an easier way to get a gun together with no machining. The molds should come out pretty much identical every time.

I get it you don't like them. But it sounds like you haven't really shot or owned any? Just basic bias off internet stuff? Nothing wrong with that. However, the same ideology can be applied to lots of things. I think Glock is lazy for never actually creating anything new. They are like Apple, re-re-re-releasing the same thing with minor changes and calling it the next savior and grace. Just plain lazy.

This guns mags are hard to load at first, as was most of my Glock 33 rounders. None of them held 33 rounds the first time either.

This gun has also eaten every piece of ammo I put in it. So that's worth noting?

I mentioned things like the way it is designed, but it isn't no harder to clean than the barrel extension of an AR15 or all the books and crannies that get gunked up in a Ruger 10-22 receiver. Just me noting things for others. Trying to be thorough. I'm bored.

If I wasn't anal and wanted to ensure my silencer threaded to the barrels shoulder, I'm certain I wouldn't have needed to sand the front end down to make me feel better about it. If i cranked the can on I bet the plastic would have moved enough or it wouldn't have been an issue. Just me being Amal about baffle strikes as I had an end cap strike with a POS cheap three lug already. That and anyone without a can wouldn't even be bothered by this. If it was even an issue in theirs.

The receiver tolerance to bolt is very snug. On a 1911 that would be considered a great thing, here it's bad? I just mentioned that because I've noticed sloppy actions tend to be better for dirty 22lrs.

Not trying to put you on the spot, just talking to talk. I think this gun is fun and lots will buy it. Nothing wrong with it to be honest. Just my reviews. Sorry they tipped you further into not wanting a keltec! If you want some time behind this guy let me know. Maybe you'll come over to a maybe. ;)
I know that MCARBO has upgraded recoil springs for the PMR30, I wonder if those would work on your CP33?? Just a thought..

Cycles subs okish. Out of the 4 brands I brought up to NFWC this morning, 3 cycled just fine. The Aguila subs sounded the best. CCI Quiet turned it into a straight pull single shot. I also shot a few bricks of CCI Standard Velocity, which worked wonderfully, and was nice and quiet.

However I learned quickly that grease isn't the best lubricant for the gun. It gunked up shortly after 150 rounds to the point the recoil spring couldn't push the round into battery. Without any sort of forward assist, I was slapping the rear of the gun to assist the bolt picking up a round and going into battery.

Loading the mags is getting easier. I'm able to get that 33rd round in now. I find loading 30 is easiest.

View attachment 604280
Try some Hornady One Shot cleaner/lube. Did wonders for my 10/22s compared to wet lubes.

Not long ago we bought a CMR-30 for the Mrs. Total pile. Never could cycle through a single magazine without multiple malfunctions of every kind. Sent it back to the factory, thankfully on their dime. Came back, same thing. Dumped it.

I have one of their pocket pistols that is absolutely, rock solid reliable. But after that carbine, never again.

I'm glad you're liking it......but......

THIS is a fine example of why I'll never own a Kel-Tec. They are just lousy made guns. Look at all the issues you've had so far. Mags don't load well, front end issues, hard to clean, etc.

They are a lazy company with lazy engineers. And they are fine releasing products that have issue after issue. I get that ALL manufacturers release "Friday" specimens here and there but KT is just lazy and doesn't care. Look what happened when you reached out to them. Did they care to make things right with their customer? Nope! They thanked you for being a beta tester and finding an issue their "crack" engineering team overlooked.

Enjoy your firearm. :)
And if you send a firearm back to them, the return is 8 weeks! Been there, done that!

@Reno Do your magazines drop freely when empty?? I had a chance to examine one and the magazine wouldn't drop free when the released was depressed.

Mags do not drop free. They are not designed to I don't think. Not one report anywhere of an owner having their mags drop free from the gun that I know of. Has a heel release too.

Pretty sure he had it up for sale/sold.

Still for sale, hoping to sell a few off to fund some SBR stamps and maybe another rimfire can.

I have a ruger single action 17hmr... Was there an issue with them?

17hmr has been tried by many in a revolver, I think Taurus is the only one left still producing any. Most stopped producing them due to absolutely horrible loss of pressure and dramatically reduced FPS from cylinder gaps involved in revolvers design. However my original comment about 17 pistols was in reference to those who tried making one in semi. No one except Savage has succeeded in producing a semi in rifle or pistol form that hasn't had timing issues and premature extraction case blow outs.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top