JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, i saw one of these at the gunshow this weekend and I really like the way it feels. Also because I'm under 21, the ammo will be much easier to get a hold of compared to my 9mm. Basically Iv'e been looking at .22's for backpacking. I bought a remington 514 youth single shot to fill that role and so far I really enjoy it especially because it can shoot the .22 shorts. Of course, ruger then releases the 10-22 takedown that is just a little heavier than my 514 :s0054:
Anyway walking around the show i saw that pmr-30 and :love: . It is SOOO light. and more powerful than LR or Short. Plus 30round mags.

Basically just wanting some input or any ideas of similar weight backpacking guns of similar weight or power. My first ideal backpacking pistol I had in mind was a Glock 20/29 for bear protection. not that I'm expecting the pmr to fill that gap. I would carry alternative bear protection. (bells, mace and common sense IE tying up your food) ANY THOUGHTS?

Kel Tec says it all

This. I use to have a P-11. Perfect size for concealed carry, great ergonomics and a respectable caliber. Got rid of it two months after I purchased it. I had to send it back to the factory three times. Kel-Tec was located in Florida and each time the pistol went in they had it back to me in about a week. I don't know of any firearms manufacturer that is that fast. My problem was that I lost confidence in the pistol and sold it.

I have a PF9 that has been a great pistol, it is my EDC and it has earned my trust. I would not discount any gun just because of it's brand. I heard Ruger's were good, but I bought a lemon and am still trying to get that sorted out with Ruger. Every manufacturer has issues, and every manufacturer has good guns.

Honestly I have not heard anything about the PMR30, but it seems like it would be great for backpacking or survival.

because bear spray will deter even an enraged bear. And you're not killing something that is just hungry or protecting it's young. And you won't have to explain to game wardens why you shot a bear with a 10mm. I understand that protecting yourself is just fine and most of us have absolutely no problem as we're all law abiding citizens. But I want to have as few interactions with officers as I can, especially when they're suspicious that I might have done something wrong.

Oh, and bear spray won't go through the bear and potentially hit something behind it...

My opinions are mine, and they tend to differ sometimes from that of normal gun owners, so whatevs.

I see what you are saying but what if the wind is blowing in your face ? and you understand a 10mm in no ordinary handgun ammo, I've seen two moose in one day taken with a Glock 20.....yeah I was amazed too and was sold on 10mm at that moment

I'd rather not kill anything that doesn't deserve to die, but on the other hand its hard to depend on pepper spray over gunpowder. I see the since in it........

Basically just wanting some input or any ideas of similar weight backpacking guns of similar weight or power. My first ideal backpacking pistol I had in mind was a Glock 20/29 for bear protection. not that I'm expecting the pmr to fill that gap. I would carry alternative bear protection. (bells, mace and common sense IE tying up your food) ANY THOUGHTS?
My thoughts are that any weapon for backpacking defeats the fast and light principle that I like and pretty much is as useful as a bag of rocks. Furthermore, a .22 mag, although marginally better than a .22 LR or short, would more than likely only serve to piss off any bear that isn't a cub. The last black bear I bumped into took off running faster the other direction than a car could accelerate. If you are in Oregon, there's no Grizzlies so my thoughts are that people don't need bear spray or a pistol. I carry a spring assisted pocket knife in the unlikely event that I get jumped by a cougar and it doesn't totally daze me on the first jump. The knife does all kind of other duty: feathering kindling, cutting ropes, etc etc. and weighs but little. I was reminded of this yesterday and the day before as I was in cougar space and the deer hair and bones, the results of a cougar buffet: were still visible. Regardless, you rarely see them in daylight. The attack will come from uphill, and you may have a premonition it's about to occur, so react to that feeling: stop, get the knife out, peel your pack off and wait a bit. You'll feel kind of dumb, but ignore that feeling. Having had this occur only once to me (confirmed by tracks in the snow on the way out). I'm in the woods a lot, I've also taken to having the dog with me now. She didn't seem to impressed with the deer remains, but found some rodents to dig for. LOL.

The small one borrowing the big ones ball seen below.
Sadie_makes_a_friend_and_borrows_the_ball.jpg

I also think it's a good thing to feel like we are part of the food chain and can't just ignore the reality of that. It makes you feel more alive to confront the mentality of that when you are 20 miles from a road by yourself in the silence of the woods, or swimming in the ocean 1/2mile from shore in Tiger Shark infested waters with nothing but a dive knife and a snorkel, or sometimes with just a snorkel. But that's what I feel for myself anyway. It gives you a different frame of reference and is in many ways much more mentally interesting and challenging.

Sadie_makes_a_friend_and_borrows_the_ball.jpg

Furthermore, a .22 mag, although marginally better than a .22 LR or short, would more than likely only serve to piss off any bear that isn't a cub.

Like I said I wouldn't plan on using a .22mag for bear protection. And having a gun is a peace of mind. The benefits of the .22 cal rimfires is the weight and small game gathering potential should serious situations arise.

The benefits of the .22 cal rimfires is the weight and small game gathering potential should serious situations arise.
so now you want it for you SHTF gun.....You need to pick something man. You say the ideal pack gun for you would be a Glock 20/29 for bear protection, but if you get a semi auto 22 magnum than you will carry a bell or mace for bear protection or heaven forbid fall back on common since. Then you ask if anyone knows of any other light weight backpacking guns larger than a .22lr but smaller than a 7.62....Yeah I know of about 20 or 30......what are looking to do, shoot an incoming bear, gather food, or ring a bell with a high degree of common since? What's your idea of light weight? Are you out in all weather? Do you like a hammer or a striker? Revolver or Semi auto ? Steel frame, poly frame, alloy frame? Do you want to conceal it or open carry? What kind of safety do you prefer? ........