Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Kel Tec...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by mkwerx, Nov 30, 2014.

1. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

For everyone who says their Kel Tec ***** (inset model there) runs great - there seem to be an equal number who have issues - from the P3ATs to the P-11 to the the KSGs.

They have some great concepts - but poor quality controls and executions. Nutnfancy has had a chance to run with some pre-production bull pup 223's and video the results - and well, no way in hell I'd trust my arse to that gun, and I'm 99.99% sure I would never drop money on one of the production guns when they hit the shelves.

Dunno bout ya'll - but having the mag fall out after every shot or two, or the gun not picking up rounds from good mags - seems like a bad thing to me. I think I would sooner buy a Hi Point .223 than a Kel Tec carbine.

2. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Well, you do get what you pay for in this ol' world. OK guns if you get the right one.

3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Tavor... end of bullpup conversation. ;)

4. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

To me, reliability is the prime quality for any serious weapon. Toys can afford to be erratic. Looks, popularity and cost come trailing in after reliability as distant factors.

clearconscience, OFADAN and Sgt Nambu like this.
  5. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

Steyr AUG... end of bullpup conversation. ;)

Seriously this time.;);)

6. jmurray192

jmurray192 wilsonville oregon Active Member

Keltec has its issues. I've been lucky no issues with my ksg have about 300 rounds through it. I didn't watch the entire video but it seems as new guns are being made specifically to pmags. A lot of steel mags seem to be skinny compared to a fat pmag. I have a seekins high end billet 223 and pmags are rock solid in it. If I try a steel mag it will do close to the same. The catch just doesn't stick out far enough. I think of keltec as a company that makes fun toys for adults, not something you can trust your life on.

IronMonster likes this.
  7. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Which is what I eventually decided the Sub 2000 was I owned - a toy. While it was very accurate and for the most part operated OK I could see there were going to be eventual problems if I shot it much. Along with being difficult to completely disassemble I saw potential parts breakages in various areas and the glued in barrel was a disturbing revelation (although there is a mod for this). Regardless I am not going to own something that has to be handled with 'kid gloves'. I am in the 'reliability' camp with Doc on this one.

8. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Hopefully most of us are not buying guns for the sole purpose of apocalyptic combat. I have a carry gun and a home defense one and the rest are for fun. I have guns where I dont even have ammo for them.

If I was a gun designer I'd much rather be at Keltec making different stuff than be at Springfield putting "Grip Zone" on handguns because the suits want to market to call of duty players.

my PMR 30 is easily my favorite gun to shoot. It shoots dinner plate sized fireballs. Its like a gun that shoots m80 fireworks. I could shoot blanks out of that gun and still have a ton of fun.

yeah the magazines are a pain to load, the gun is really picky about ammo. Its mostly plastic and feels flimsy. But none of my other guns shoot fireballs!

9. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Well I am not - and never have but I am somewhat of a 'traditionalist' when it comes to guns. I started with guns long before all this high-cap, 'tacticool' emphasis and simply like the feel of real steel in my hands. I think I was smitten with the Sub2K when I first saw and shot one, much like a kid looking at a cool toy, and then had the opportunity to buy one for a good price. The more I shot it the less I liked it and like Bolus said:
    went without saying.

10. waglockfan

waglockfan Puget Sound Well-Known Member

No

11. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

< Why they don't have school shootings in Israel.
    Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

I've quite a few KT's, never had much if any problems with any of them. My favorite is the P-40 with the SIG .357 barrel. I've never had a jamb, misfeed, misfire or any other problem with it. If you "limp wrist" it I suppose you could have trouble though.

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    "Defender of Freedom" award
    NRA Golden Eagle member
    WAC member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  12. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

I cant speak for any of their long guns but the three P-11's and the P-32 I have owned have all been 100% reliable. They had rough finish and lousy triggers but they always went bang when I pulled the trigger. They are a good value for the money as budget self defense weapons IMHO.

BoonDocks36 likes this.