JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First post! At any rate, been looking for an inexpensive carbine, and wound up with Kel-Tec's SU-16's as a starting point. Most seem to take 5.56/.223 and retail for around $600. Anyone used one? Reviews seem favorable for a beginner carbine... easy to disassemble and clean, loads of affordable ammo available, etc.

Thanks for any and all input! :s0155:

Two thoughts related to inexpensive carbine...

First...that $600 range gets you dang close to an entry level or used AR. I'd be inclined to save another $50 and spring for an beginner AR.

Second... If you say cheap, entry level, cheap to shoot and reliable.... I think Hi-Point 9mm carbine. I've got one, it's just as fugly as the SU-16, and it goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

Am I proud of it?...Nope.
Could I sell it for what I have into it? Absolutely.
Am I going to any time soon? Nah...it's not worth the effort. It's cheap and mine and dead steady reliable.

$400(the diff between the SU-16 and the Hi-point) buys a lot of 9mm ammo.

Now you have my thoughts.

Good to know! Honestly I'm so wary of Hi-Point's quality vs cost that I don't think I could ever go for one. That said, I am aiming towards a used AR15 vs the Kel-Tec, with the only hold out being a warranty, except that there are a million AR's with parts to trade out that I'm leaning that direction anyway. Thanks for the input!

I've looked into the Kel-Tec SU-16 also and am seriously considering getting one, although KalamaMark makes a good point about the AR-15 and price. I've read some good reviews on the SU-16 and really like the look and design of it. The issue I've run into thus far is finding one for sale in this state, new or used and will most likely end up ordering one.

I have a SU-16 CA that is very accurate and my son claims it's his cause it fits him so well.I have had no problems with mine and would buy another in a heart beat.I would try to stay with the C or CA models cause the front sight isn't the cheesy plastic one out at the end of the barrel.Hope this helps...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top