JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a feeling there are going to be some pretty opinionated posts, and I want to see them. I don't want to see "just get a 5.7, because it's an FN" take into consideration initial price and cost of ammo/reloading or lack thereof...

On your mark,
Get set,
GO!

I've only held a kel-tec PMR-30 whereas I've fired a 5.7.

I absolutely love Kel-tec's design and innovation even if in execution they need more time/quality. But the PMR-30 feels cheap and the inflated prices aren't justified. Around or below its MSRP its probably a good buy if you really like .22 Mag, sights are great even if they are mounted on the thinnest slide I've ever seen on a semi-auto. And .22 mag is plentiful and half the cost (at least) of 5.7.

But the 5.7 is just incredible. Its my dream pistol and if ammo weren't so spendy I'd of cleared up funds a long time ago and bought one already. Recoil is unbelievably small and the controls and ergos just take a dump on the PMR-30 and most polymer framed guns imo. The round is expensive but performance isn't even close and if you're crazy/have the tools reloading is possible.

As morbid as it sounds there is a reason why the cartels are willing to pay four times the price for one, they are amazing little performers and deserve all the praise they get. The PMR-30 is fine for recreation whereas the 5.7 is built for all applications.

How about ballistics? Handgun to handgun. Carbine to carbine. I know there is some pretty hot 22mag ammo on the market right now and it looks like it has more MV and more energy than the ss195 5.7

SS190 will defeat 3 soft plates of lvl IIIa armor out of a 5.7...end this thread it is retarded

I said apples to apples. Does 22mag have AP rounds? Didn't think so... SS190 also goes for around $125-$150 per box or $24 per single round. So loose the attitude and end your self. You are retarded.

You asked for opinionated posts and you got one. In turn your response was to tell the poster to f--- off. Quality.

If you're looking for a lightweight pistol that handles a powerful small-caliber round, what other criteria do you have? Plentiful ammo? Inexpensive ammo? The FiveSeven isn't for the cheap or the poor, so if you fit one of those categories go a different direction. Does the FiveSeven offer a more diverse application (defense, etc.) against different types of assailants? Based on ammo type (AP, etc.) that's a possible yes. Why do you want opinions? Are you trying to determine which is best for you based on the experiences of others? Are you trying to find a justification that'll give you less remorse breaking open the piggy bank to buy the more expensive gun? Add a little more clarity to what you're really looking for, and drop the insults to people that put in their opinions and maybe you'll get what you need.

You asked for opinionated posts and you got one. In turn your response was to tell the poster to f--- off. Quality.

If you're looking for a lightweight pistol that handles a powerful small-caliber round, what other criteria do you have? Plentiful ammo? Inexpensive ammo? The FiveSeven isn't for the cheap or the poor, so if you fit one of those categories go a different direction. Does the FiveSeven offer a more diverse application (defense, etc.) against different types of assailants? Based on ammo type (AP, etc.) that's a possible yes. Why do you want opinions? Are you trying to determine which is best for you based on the experiences of others? Are you trying to find a justification that'll give you less remorse breaking open the piggy bank to buy the more expensive gun? Add a little more clarity to what you're really looking for, and drop the insults to people that put in their opinions and maybe you'll get what you need.

I take a post like that as a reflection on me personally. So yeah if someone is going to say, "you are retarded for making a thread like this," yeah I'm gunna tell that person to politely F off.

Back to topic.

I made the thread to see why people justify buying the 5.7 over 22mag. I'm not necessarily looking to by either. Although, the PMR30 does have a little novelty factor. I see now that the PMR30 has some running issues and obviously the FN doesn't. I have plenty of other go-to guns. So a weapons like this wouldn't be for defense or piercing armor. More of a novelty to add to the collection if it were to ever happen.

I'm just looking for opinions, not you're retarded close this thread. :rolleyes:;)

OK. The only downside to the 5.7 in comparison to the Kel-tec is $$$$. In a very short time at the range it is easy to blast through $75-$100 in ammo.

If you like to rapid fire, or have kids/friends that you take to the range, the 5.7 is very expensive as a plinker. My friend's daughter went through 150 rounds in the time it would have taken me to eat a sandwich. Blam, blam, blam - gee this is fun! In the PS90 or an AR57 that's only three mags.

A .22mag, 22lr (especially), or 9mm would be a better choice in that scenario - I quickly said hey let's try this Ruger MarkIII!. Plinkers/friends don't even notice a big difference and so don't have to fret about still being able to pay the rent when they are done.

I forsake expensive and useless things in life like a wife or new TV so I can afford to go to the range. It is a high cost, but a priority and the 5.7 is part of that budget.

For your decision making process I'd ask what kind of shooter are you? I see guys at the pistol range that are all about thinking about every shot, making it as accurate and controlled as possible. They pull the trigger every minute or so. If that is you, get the 5.7. For fast plinking I would lean toward 22lr or 22mag.

As far as ballistics, there isn't a huge difference in the basic ammo offerings imo, but the 5.7 is superior in speed and penetration in gelatin. Plenty of videos online doing comparisons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads