JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, I must say that my second impressions of the pistol are what I wish my first experience was! I took it out last night (10/14/10) and ran four different types of ammo through it and it ran beautifully!

I put 50 rounds each of CCI Maxi Mags, CCI hollow points, Federal hollow points and then a box of the Fiocchi stuff I'd used on the first outing. The first three ammo types were flawless, only one FTFD on the CCI hollow points (MUCH improved from my Fiocchi experiences on the first trip). :s0155: :s0155:

The last box was one of the original Fiocchi I'd used last time and through 50 rounds I only had 4 FTFD (2 each mag of 25). Even this was much improved from the last trip so I am very pleased with the results. One thing I noticed about the Fiocchi over the other ammo was the noticeable difference in the report (which was a lot less than the others). It sounded weak compared to the louder "bang" of the others (which would explain the higher chance of getting a FTFD with the Fiocchi).

Needless to say I am VERY pleased with the performance of my PMR-30. Once I have "disposed" of all the Fiocchi rounds I have I plan to stick with the Federal or CCI ammunition. The "cheaper" stuff might work in a rifle or revolver but the semi-auto PMR-30 really shines with ammo that has enough power to cycle the slide properly.

Just grabbed a new ones of these and it came with a note card recommending use of CCI Maxi Mag 40gr and specifically said not to use Fiocci any any other foreign-made ammo in this gun, to paraphrase.

I haven't had time to go to the range yet but have been through the ordeal of loading rounds. Some of my rounds are getting scared (dented), most the last ten rounds on the clip. I've never fired magnum rounds, I'm a .45ACP guy so these magnum shells seem to me to be made out of aluminum foil. Using the CCI ammo recommended by Kel-Tec.

Has anyone had this problem. Are these rounds still usable or is this dangerous?

Thanks.

:) I have read each comment about the PMR-30 problems. It appears no one has tried Winchester 22 mag. ammo. My Grendel P30 will only function with Winchester, but then that is what it was designed for. No other ammo works in it. The reason, believe it or not, is that the Winchester 'case' is just very slightly smaller in dia. and harder. So, check it out in your PMR-30. Get your micrometer out and check the differences in dia. in other ammo with Winchester. My advice is stay away from foriegn and cheaper ammo. Winchester has a larger variety of bullets and better powder. You have a good gun so feed it the best. P.S. Does the PMR-30 come with a lifetime gurantee as the Grendel P30 did??? Anyone know?

Frank,

I will try the winchester ammo in my new pmr30. The first one I had blew up in my face. A round did not go into the breech entirely before the hammer hit it. Keltec was pretty quick to send me a replacement. The gun is unbelievable at the range. A real pleasure to shoot but I think keltec has some manufacturing problems to overcome. I've been using CCI ammo and it seems to work well but the shells are paper thin as I have said.

Paul

P.s. No mention of a lifetime guarantee. I suspect you know the guy who designed the Grendel started keltec or so I have heard?

Paul........Please except a hand shake and a Thank You...for informing us about your range experience with the PMR-30. I am a young 77 year old Engineer and Production Manager and am still learning and we owe a lot to fellows like you that experiment and publish your findings. It's a great help and service to others. I wish to make a few comments about some of the possible causes for the problems you had with your first PMR-30. First of all, your experience with a shell blowing up in your face is a perfect example that we should always wear shooting glasses for protection as we are dealing with explosives, controlled or uncontrolled. Some guns, especially semi auto, need to be cleaned after firing 20 to 30 rounds, especially brand new guns. Being a Production Manager (retired) most new guns from the factory have not been cleaned before shipping. One example: a little 380 cal. pistol made in Calif. called a "Back Up" would not function. We took the grips off to check the springs etc. and removed enough filings to fill a teaspoon. We cleaned and oiled (and polished the ramp) and it worked okay but got better the more we used it. Your first PMR-30 firing pin may have gotten dirty from firing or perhaps was not properly cleaned at the factory or possible had rough machine edges. MY advice is: All new guns should be taken apart, inspected, cleaned and oiled by the new owner before firing. CHECK THAT FIRING PIN! The first SKS we got in from China, years back, looked fine. We were anxious to shoot it and slapped in ten rounds. I am very glad we were outside. I pulled the bolt back and let slam in and SKS fired all 10 rounds like a machine gun, and there is no way to stop it. The firing pin was stuck 'out' .
It had gotten a little rusty. I had a brand new Remington rife that also had a firing pin stuck out and fired when I pushed the bolt in place. Lets clean and inspect our guns often, especially that firing pin. Glad to hear you are a 45acp guy. I am as well.
Thanks again...........Frank

Frank,

I always wear eyegear. No argument there and yes, this experience reinforced that for sure.

I also always clean the barrel prior to shooting, even if new from the factory. However, this gun/round is very dirty and your advice about cleaning frequently is something I heartily advise.

I usually take a new gun apart and inspect it but failed to do so this time. Probably a mistake. I have already stripped down my new PMR30. Cleaned it thoroughly. However, I am going to hold off firing this new gun until I have a chat with the Keltec folks about what the problem with the orig gun was and what was done to remedy it.

Paul

Definitely good advice to disassemble, inspect, and clean any new firearm once in your possession. Even more so if it's just a "new-to-you" firearm from a previous owner. :s0155:

According to the Kel Tec web site the Mfg's suggested retail price should be $415. Far North Outfitters in Bonner's Ferry, Id., of course, had none in stock but would order one for me. He checked with his Distributor and said he could get shipment in a couple of weeks. I asked the price, He said $328. Does that sound right?? Even with sales tax that sounds like a great deal. But I'll let you know how it really turns out. Before firing it you can be sure it will have a complete inspection and cleaning. I have an old Mossberg 'Chuckster' 22 Mag. rifle. In it I use Winchester 22 Mag. Varmit Load (34 Grain Hollow Point) that looks like a rifle bullet....real deadly. Just recently purchased a box of Hornady 22 Mag, 30 Grain V-MAX. I am expecting great results with this one. Has anyone any experience with this??
I am hoping the two mentioned will work well in the coming Pmr-30. I'll let you know.

I once owned the predecessor, Grendal P30, which was a total jamomatic. While I would love to see the 22 mag in a reliable semi-auto configuration in a handgun, no one has ever made it happen. When someone does, and has an iron clad money back guarantee, please let me know. Until then, I will stick to 9's and 45's which are totally reliable at only twice the price and 2 to 4 times the power.