Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

kel tec pf9

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by williamcjones1988, Jun 2, 2012.

1. williamcjones1988

williamcjones1988 Portland, OR Member

So I went in to northwest armory and looked at a keltec pf9 everyday 250.00 with background thinking of switching from the full size hk Usp to a pf9 anyone got any experience with them pros cons

2. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

I owned one (actually had two - one for my wife too). I didn't like it as it has a bear of a recoil and hurt my finger and hand when doing range time. Personally, I would not go back to it ever again. My wife couldn't stand it either as it hurt her wrist and finger. She wouldn't practice with it so it was not a good thing. So she now has an M&P Shield which she loves to practice with. Me, I still only have my full size M&P45 which I will keep but I'm going to get the Shield .40 cal. as soon as I can for a smaller profile gun. It is almost as small as the PF9 (not completely) but it is way less recoil and is much more fun to shoot.

But, if you can get by the pain and will practice, practice, practice regardless of pain, then it may be one you can use. But it can be hit or miss as to getting a reliable one, as I've also heard of others who had a lot of FTF/FTE issues.

3. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I've never owned a PF9, but I do have a P-40 with both the .40 and .357 SIG barrel. Yes, it's a hand full but still very useful even with full house .357 SIG loads. Some people report problems with them, but I don't have trouble.

4. SynapticSilence

SynapticSilence Battle Ground, WA Well-Known Member

My first EDC was a PF-9. Ran great, reliable, but ditto on the recoil and finger bite. They sell a trigger shoe that makes a big difference in the trigger feel/bite. But don't get it if you plan on shooting hundreds of rounds at the range.

5. optiontrigger

optiontrigger Snohomish County, WA Member

I had two and sold both. The first one ran perfect but the second one had nothing but problems straight from the factory. After I got that one fixed I decided to sell both because they were not fun to shoot at all. When you're at the range, you eventually brush off the pain in the hand from the recoil as you're still shooting it at targets. The size was great for CCW but for a gun that you carry a lot and shoot little, in a high stress situation, I prefer to have better control of where the first shot goes. I bought the Ruger LC-9. It's the same size and the recoil is much less and it's far more comfortable to shoot. That extra 2 oz. and better design (in my opinion) makes a big difference.

6. Allfat

Allfat Marion County Active Member

I have a PF9 that I carry. I don't carry it all the time, mostly when I want a lower profile carry gun. Mine had problems when I first got it. It would not extract reliably. I called their customer service and they sent parts to me so I could fix it myself. New extractor and the problem went away for good. It has well over 1000 rounds through it since and not one single glitch.

I agree that it is not a comfortable gun to shoot, but with practice you can put your shots where they need to go. My sight dots were fading so I put some bright white paint on them and it helped a lot with sight acquisition and aiming. I feel confident in that gun to protect my life and the life of my family, I wouldn't carry it if I didn't feel that way.

7. BlackSwanArms

BlackSwanArms Monroe, WA New Member

I have one for every day carry when I can't take something more substantial. The recoil doesn't bother me but what does is the trigger. I'm a Glock guy so I've developed muscle memory to the Glock trigger. When you let off the Glock trigger until you feel it 'click' and squeeze again you fire again. When you do that with the KelTec it does not go 'bang' and you have to cycle the action and drop a live round to reset the trigger. Took a little getting used to and you have to remember to let your trigger finger fully go forward to reset the trigger. Other than that I like mine alright but I'd rather have my G27 on me if needed.

8. Defense Minister

Defense Minister Eugene/Springfield Active Member

I have one, and it has become my favorite carry gun. I have 600 rounds through mine, and the only time it has failed is after 100+ rounds at the range that caused the extractor spring screw to work loose. A little blue Loctite solved that problem easily, and I recommend doing that the day you buy the gun. Be careful when you re-insert the screw, as you can capture the firing pin under the screw if you're not careful, and render the gun temporarily useless.

Three things I highly recommend for the PF-9 are a Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeve, the Kel-Tec factory +1 mag extension, and the Northwoods aluminum trigger. They transform the PF-9 into a whole new gun.

9. NoviceSquared

NoviceSquared portland Member

I'd save up and get a M&P Shield or Sig of similar size.

They're good for the price, but I wouldn't want to shoot one if I had a choice in the matter.

10. RBid

RBid Wilsonville, OR Well-Known Member

I have one, until I can make it to NW Armory to trade it in.

PF-9s are notorious for failing to extract. If you go to KTOG.org, you'll find a ridiculous amount of discussion about doubling or tripling up on extractor springs, or other attempts to address the issue. I had similar experiences with mine, and contacted Kel Tec about it. They blamed the ammo.

For the record, I have had failures to extract with:
    Blazer Aluminum
    Blazer PMC
    Federal 115 gr
    WWB
    Speer Gold Dot 115 gr standard pressure
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P
    HSM reloads

...which is everything that I have run through it.

I had a run of about 200 consecutive rounds with no failures, at one point. When extraction issues came back, they did it with a vengance. I get an FTE every other round, now.

11. wombat

wombat Kirkland, WA Member

+1 with what DefMin wrote.

My PF9 is manuf 08/10 (emailed Kel-Tec to find out).
    Got up to 375 rounds no failures with Remington UMC 115gr and Fed HydraShok 124gr (P9HS1).
    ... now having failures to eject - Kel-Tec say replace the extractor and have sent me a replacement extractor (kit) for that purpose.

Rbid - I have had no issues with RBS range ammo, 115gr TMJ.
    http://www.rbsammo.com/product-details.cfm?9mm
    (If you are ever at NW Armory in either Bellevue or Issaquah in WA, drop me a PM f you care for some company ...)

Haven't tried Blazer -and won't now!

Other cartridges not recommended:
    MagTech 124gr
    Winchester X 147gr
    Buffalo Bore 115gr +p (24A) and 124gr +p (24E)
    Winchester Ranger 147gr SXT (RA9SXT)
    Winchester PDX1 124 (S9MMPDB) and 147gr (S9MMPDB1)
    Winchester SXT 147gr S9
    Speer GDHP 124gr 23617
    Speer Gold Dot HP 147gr 23619

Defense cartridges recommended:
    Federal HydraShok JHP 124gr (P9HS1), Hornady Critical Defense 115gr (90250) and Remington Golden Saber 125gr (GS9MMB)
    Have only had 10 rounds so far of Hornady TAP so far so good, but I wouldn't be happy until I reach 50 (as I have above) without issue.

Why finicky? ... my opinion is the short barrel is the reason; same issues as I encounter for a Kimber Solo I also have in the herd.
    By the by, all of the above ammo functions without issue in a Walther P99.

Might seem an expensive process to some, but a reliable gun/defense round is priceless.

For the PF9 itself, I would recommend it for consideration as a everyday daily carry (EDC).
    There are others that would be good to consider ... drop me a PM for more info on recommendations.
    If you like.

Chris

12. optiontrigger

The reason why the PF9 is finicky about ammo is because of the lack of quality control. I was a die-hard PF9 supporter when I bought my first one and couldn't figure out why the KTOG forum was full of people with problem guns since mine operated perfectly in every way. It wasn't until I bought my second one, that I had multiple problems including being ammo sensitive. Since I reload, I measured my ammo and it was all within spec. Measuring the chamber, it was narrower and not as deep - they didn't bore the chamber deep enough so I had rounds getting stuck in the chamber! The 9MM is a slightly tapered case. The KTOG site has a bunch of bobble heads that will not accept that KT has quality issues. Numerous threads say that Winchester white box is extremely reliable while others say that WWB won't feed correctly or won't extract. If they would be consistent in their manufacturing and quality checks, WWB will work in all their PF9s. I even had to explain to their CS guy repeatedly why my barrel was the problem and to get his calipers out and measure it against the spec.

13. wombat

... getting out the calipers!

14. optiontrigger

For the 9MM, the widest part (at the case shoulder) is max .391". Glocks and other higher quality manufacturers make sure to be generous at that part of the chamber by having it around .394" or so, so that a cartridge can drop in and easily drop back out. My first PF9 was .393" but the second PF9 was .388. Gee, when a round gets rammed into that tight chamber by the slide spring, common sense tells you it will get stuck. I was ignored on the KTOG forum, as they don't like to hear about problems like this.

I hope that you get yours working reliably though. It is an excellent size for an EDC.

15. wombat

option ...

I'll take this to a pm ...

16. RBid

RBid Wilsonville, OR Well-Known Member

wombat-

I'm not in Washington very frequently, but I think it is awesome that you are so welcoming. It's nice when the online community actually feels like a community!

re: PF-9 inconsistent quality control:

That would make sense. The theme on KTOG, and with many PF-9 owners is either feast, or famine. You have persistent extraction issues, or no issues, at all. The chamber being wide enough on one gun, and too tight on the next, would certainly create that sort of all-or-nothing performance.