JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to buy my first shotgun, and currently looking at the KSG. But before I pull the trigger, I'd like to hear from KSG owners on how they like this weapon, and also what kind of shells they use. Thanks for your input.

Geno

I just ordered this today...
18556259_1507726485946757_4842945193115570346_n.jpg

I don't own one, but I have shot one. Personally I thought it kicked like a mule compared to my Remington 870 or Saiga 12. Very cool design and I love bullpups, but I was just surprised by how much it kicked. I was shooting slugs if I remember correctly.

As you know the KSG comes bare, so I'll be starting with MBUS sights and a vertical grip of some kind. This is my first shotgun (not to worry I have shot a few in the last 30 yrs.), so there will be a bit of a learning curve as to what is the most effective ammo to use.

Geno

As you know the KSG comes bare, so I'll be starting with MBUS sights and a vertical grip of some kind. This is my first shotgun (not to worry I have shot a few in the last 30 yrs.), so there will be a bit of a learning curve as to what is the most effective ammo to use.

Geno

One warning. Don't cheap out on the vertical grip. There is a pic floating around of a guy who lost a good part of his left hand that way. Used a cheap one and was trying fast firing. It broke as he was slamming home another round and it put his hand in front of the barrel just as it fired.

I had one for a while, and put about 500 rounds through it trying to get proficient enough to make it my bedside gun. I thought, and this is subjective, that the recoil was less severe than my 870. I also thought that the gun was well built, very ergonomic, and overall will thought out. Unlike my Tavor, the KSG is not butt heavy, and is very well balanced.

I wound up selling due to the, imho, cumbersome process of clearing malfunctions.

My KSG is a brand new Gen 3 model- the earlier models did have some feed and ejection issues, and I'm sure even this one doesn't clear rounds as well as a side port shotgun. Every weapon has it's quirks- the KSG is definitely one of them. The big selling points for me are the shell capacity and compactness of the firearm.

I will give my range report once I receive the weapon and get it ready to shoot.

Geno

I've owned one for the better part of a year. Full power loads (slugs/00 buck) will rock you. I bought a few hundred rounds of the fiocchi 1 3/4 slugs and buck. They are awesome to shoot (zero recoil) and ideal for home defense. I have not had any issues as of yet but I have not really put it through its paces. I'm trying hard to like it.

Had mine for a about two years. The only thing I have noticed is when I let new shooters onto this particular firearm, they have a tendency to short stroke it. I will also echo the sentiments about slugs (or God forbid 3 inch Magnums) and recoil. Add another upvote for a reputable rail and foregrip if so inclined. I'm running the GG&G 5in mounting rail with a Crimson Trace MVF-515 attached to it. I also recommend the KelTec extended butt pad and an improved tube selector switch (I run the Carolina Metal Masters one). Stainless steel followers such as Vang Comp are also nice. 24 +1 rounds of Aguila mini's is sure fun though, and there is no recoil with those.

Had mine for a about two years. The only thing I have noticed is when I let new shooters onto this particular firearm, they have a tendency to short stroke it. I will also echo the sentiments about slugs (or God forbid 3 inch Magnums) and recoil. Add another upvote for a reputable rail and foregrip if so inclined. I'm running the GG&G 5in mounting rail with a Crimson Trace MVF-515 attached to it. I also recommend the KelTec extended butt pad and an improved tube selector switch (I run the Carolina Metal Masters one). Stainless steel followers such as Vang Comp are also nice. 24 +1 rounds of Aguila mini's is sure fun though, and there is no recoil with those.

Meant to mention the short stroke. Definitely an issue with new operators but disappears when you get used to the action.

I bought my KSG for home defense and CQB, so the improved lower rail, vertical grip, longer metal feed tube switch, muzzle brake, butt pad, single point QD mount, side rail, red dot and flashlight are on the list of upgrades I'll be making to my firearm. I'd be interested to hear about the stainless steel followers, as I'm new to the KSG game and want the best performance from this shotgun under all conditions.

I've heard the KSG has quite a kick, but I do shoot quite a bit of .308, so I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

Geno

The stock magazine tube followers in the KSG are just plastic, and in theory stainless steel followers will provide a smoother travel due to a reduced bearing surface, whether it's noticeable to most I would leave to the individual to decide. The other positive is that they handle any dirt/debris that may get in the magazine tube better. If you do go this direction just remember you will need two of them.

Well this thread got me to reach into the back of the safe. Ran a few boxes of assorted rounds through the KSG this weekend. Still have not had a single problem. I'm liking it.

Happy Memorial day, KSG fans! Funny how I had to just buy this shotgun to get a reaction from the KSG owners out there- nice to know I'm not alone. I got about 250 rds. of OO 9-pellet buckshot coming, and bought some Federal 1 oz rifled slugs too- this is gonna be fun.

Geno
Walmart_12 ga 1 oz slugs.jpg

Beautiful, Geno! My local Fred Meyers had three (!!!) of them a few months ago, one like yours and two all black. I wanted one so bad, but the timing wasn't right. At least I got to handle one. Definitely on the list.

No worries- Kel Tec will make more of them. How much did Freddies want for the black KSG's?

Geno

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads