Kel Tec KSG: owner feedback

Discussion in 'Pump-Action Shotguns' started by Gene Rojas, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Gene Rojas

Gene Rojas
    Keizer in my mind

I'm looking to buy my first shotgun, and currently looking at the KSG. But before I pull the trigger, I'd like to hear from KSG owners on how they like this weapon, and also what kind of shells they use. Thanks for your input.

Geno

2. Gene Rojas

Gene Rojas
    Keizer in my mind

I just ordered this today...
    18556259_1507726485946757_4842945193115570346_n.jpg

svxr8dr, 3MTA3 and Alexx1401 like this.
  3. American123

American123
    Federal Way

I don't own one, but I have shot one. Personally I thought it kicked like a mule compared to my Remington 870 or Saiga 12. Very cool design and I love bullpups, but I was just surprised by how much it kicked. I was shooting slugs if I remember correctly.

robertg and Gene Rojas like this.
  4. CountryGent

CountryGent
    Southern Oregon
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Neat-O. Maybe provide a range report, if you are so inclined.

Alexx1401 likes this.
  5. Gene Rojas

Gene Rojas
    Keizer in my mind

As you know the KSG comes bare, so I'll be starting with MBUS sights and a vertical grip of some kind. This is my first shotgun (not to worry I have shot a few in the last 30 yrs.), so there will be a bit of a learning curve as to what is the most effective ammo to use.

Geno

3MTA3, Alexx1401 and CountryGent like this.
  6. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster
    SE Portland
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

7. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

One warning. Don't cheap out on the vertical grip. There is a pic floating around of a guy who lost a good part of his left hand that way. Used a cheap one and was trying fast firing. It broke as he was slamming home another round and it put his hand in front of the barrel just as it fired.

3MTA3 and Gene Rojas like this.
  8. Gene Rojas

Gene Rojas
    Keizer in my mind

I have read that story- I'm looking at aluminum VGs, and planning to put a Hi-tech muzzle break on it too.There are alot of good accessories for this shotgun.

Geno

Alexx1401 likes this.
  9. Nocaster

Nocaster
    Beaverton
    Active Member 2016 Volunteer

I had one for a while, and put about 500 rounds through it trying to get proficient enough to make it my bedside gun. I thought, and this is subjective, that the recoil was less severe than my 870. I also thought that the gun was well built, very ergonomic, and overall will thought out. Unlike my Tavor, the KSG is not butt heavy, and is very well balanced.

I wound up selling due to the, imho, cumbersome process of clearing malfunctions.

Alexx1401, 3MTA3 and Gene Rojas like this.
  10. Gene Rojas

Gene Rojas
    Keizer in my mind

My KSG is a brand new Gen 3 model- the earlier models did have some feed and ejection issues, and I'm sure even this one doesn't clear rounds as well as a side port shotgun. Every weapon has it's quirks- the KSG is definitely one of them. The big selling points for me are the shell capacity and compactness of the firearm.

I will give my range report once I receive the weapon and get it ready to shoot.

Geno

3MTA3 and Alexx1401 like this.
  11. BroncoFan

BroncoFan
    Eastern Oregon

I've owned one for the better part of a year. Full power loads (slugs/00 buck) will rock you. I bought a few hundred rounds of the fiocchi 1 3/4 slugs and buck. They are awesome to shoot (zero recoil) and ideal for home defense. I have not had any issues as of yet but I have not really put it through its paces. I'm trying hard to like it.

Gene Rojas, Alexx1401 and 3MTA3 like this.
  12. svxr8dr

svxr8dr
    Vancouver, WA
    OathKeeper #004404

Had mine for a about two years. The only thing I have noticed is when I let new shooters onto this particular firearm, they have a tendency to short stroke it. I will also echo the sentiments about slugs (or God forbid 3 inch Magnums) and recoil. Add another upvote for a reputable rail and foregrip if so inclined. I'm running the GG&G 5in mounting rail with a Crimson Trace MVF-515 attached to it. I also recommend the KelTec extended butt pad and an improved tube selector switch (I run the Carolina Metal Masters one). Stainless steel followers such as Vang Comp are also nice. 24 +1 rounds of Aguila mini's is sure fun though, and there is no recoil with those.

Gene Rojas and Alexx1401 like this.
  13. BroncoFan

BroncoFan
    Eastern Oregon

Meant to mention the short stroke. Definitely an issue with new operators but disappears when you get used to the action.

Alexx1401 likes this.
  14. Gene Rojas

Gene Rojas
    Keizer in my mind

I bought my KSG for home defense and CQB, so the improved lower rail, vertical grip, longer metal feed tube switch, muzzle brake, butt pad, single point QD mount, side rail, red dot and flashlight are on the list of upgrades I'll be making to my firearm. I'd be interested to hear about the stainless steel followers, as I'm new to the KSG game and want the best performance from this shotgun under all conditions.

I've heard the KSG has quite a kick, but I do shoot quite a bit of .308, so I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

Geno

15. svxr8dr

svxr8dr
    Vancouver, WA
    OathKeeper #004404

The stock magazine tube followers in the KSG are just plastic, and in theory stainless steel followers will provide a smoother travel due to a reduced bearing surface, whether it's noticeable to most I would leave to the individual to decide. The other positive is that they handle any dirt/debris that may get in the magazine tube better. If you do go this direction just remember you will need two of them.

3MTA3 and Gene Rojas like this.
  16. Gene Rojas

Gene Rojas
    Keizer in my mind

My KSG finally arrived at my LGS.

My KSG_001.jpg My KSG_002.jpg

Geno

BroncoFan and svxr8dr like this.
  17. BroncoFan

BroncoFan
    Eastern Oregon

Well this thread got me to reach into the back of the safe. Ran a few boxes of assorted rounds through the KSG this weekend. Still have not had a single problem. I'm liking it.