1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Kel Tec 9mm

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Navvet, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Navvet

Navvet Lynden, WA Active Member

I bought a Kel Tec 9mm for pocket carry and my Glock is too bulky. I took it to the range and it jammed 4 times out of 7 rounds and then the firing pin snapped. I returned it to the factory and they have had it a month with no word. I have three Kel Tec carbines that I love, has anyone else had problems with the pistols?
  2. bilge pump

bilge pump Federal Way WA Member

It's a good idea to go through the internals on such a light weight, inexpensive pistol, particularly if you purchase it used. The new ones are probably better than the first models, but for $225-$300 new, it's not as if they had a gunsmith custom fit them after final assembly. I found the KTOG message board sticky very helpful when I inspected my new PF9: PF-9 Disassembly and Repair - KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum
  3. cotillion

cotillion medford Active Member

It's hit or miss. It should be 100% when it gets back though
  4. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

If you read the forum here even the Kimber Solo Carry is unreliable!!

I've had several KT's and all have been reliable. Even the P-40 (.40 S&W) with the .357 SIG barrel in it. It really jumps but if you don't limp wrist it you won't have any trouble.
  5. CharonPDX

CharonPDX Portland, OR Active Member

Wow. Which Kel-Tec? I use the P-11, have only given it a thorough complete tear-down cleaning once in 12 years, buy the cheapest 9 mm ammunition I can find, and I have never had a jam.

Just recently sent it back to the factory for a thorough refurb, though. Had 'em do all the fixin's. Polished the feed ramp, lighter-weight trigger spring, etc, etc. I second bilge pump's link: KTOG is an excellent resource.