JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got a kel-tec 380 about 9 months ago and still undecide about it. have shot 150-200 rounds thru it with a couple of FTE's( maybe limp wristing). Yes, it's not a target pistol but I am having trouble with the long trigger pull and holding the pistol in an accurate position. I have small hands and the size of the pistol still is a concern. Maybe more practice. Comments!

Give it more time. I have a Ruger LCP copy cat and I find it difficult to accurately shoot it out past 15 yards. I think it might be better to just practice point shooting at close range then using the teeny tiny sights. The long trigger pull is also a challenge for me being a mostly 1911 shooter. I am not used to a long double action trigger pull but the more I practice the better I get with it.

I had one for about a year and carried it off and on throughout the summer. I liked the size and weight and found it very easy to carry while wearing shorts. I practiced enough to get pretty consistent accuracy out to about 15 yards but that was probably stretching it beyond what the Pistol was designed for. My biggest issue was with reliability. I was constantly having feed and ejection problems. I tried 3 or 4 different magazines and several types of ammo but things just never seemed to improve. This was extra frustrating due to the fact that two of my friends purchased identical pistols at the same time and had minimal issues. In the end I sold mine and am now looking to pick up a Ruger LCP or LCR as a replacement.

I had one once. I put two layers of bicycle innertube around the grip which gave me a better feel, slightly reduced recoil, and a slightly larger grip for my large hand. Still, I think it would be much better for a smaller hand.

Still, it never worked for me and I sold it. It was too small for me :( and I had to either bend my trigger finger back too far or use the middle section of my finger...either way leading to reduced trigger control. I ended up with a Kahr.

And I agree with Motoman about the Crimson Trace. It helps aiming, and if you can't hit them you can scare or blind them. :D

I picked up a p-11 6 months ago for my edc. Straight away I hated the trigger. Don't get me wrong--I understand why it is the way it is and i agree that it should be this way(it's the guns only safety), so I learned to master it. Two tips that helped me alot:

Whites trigger mod:

http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks1.htm#White%20Trigger%20Stop

Basically you cut and glue a pencil eraser behind the trigger. You cut the eraser length down so that the trigger is almost ready to fire when it comes in contact with it. This allows you to 'stage' the trigger so that u get used to where in the stroke it will fire. This, combined with tip#2, a snap cap, helped immensely. I practiced staging and firing the trigger with the snap cap hundreds of times. Now I am to t the point that I really don't need to eraser anymore and I can shoot it quite accurately.

I also put a hogue jr wrap grip on it, which helped to hold on to the little devil when firing.

I sometimes carry an even smaller .380, the North American Arms Guardian. I too had a lot of trouble handling the long, strong trigger pull with accuracy. Normally I prefer to squeeze the trigger with the first crease of the trigger finger. I found that with such a small gun if I fired with the fingertip on the trigger that it was much easier to control.

I also have added a couple of those big, wide rubber bands from broccoli bunches (not often seen anymore!) to the grip of my .380. This is like an abbreviated grip sleeve, adding some "palm-swell" shape and positioning to the tiny grip. It just helps settle the gun in my hand for better control and accuracy.......................elsullo :s0155:

The small Keltecs are made for up close personal defense and complete concealment. Up close means stick it on their body and shoot pretty much. Practice at 7 yards, not at 15 yards. 15 yards is 5 feet short of a city lot, farther than close personal defense. I have three in different calibers and they all work 100%. Some have had problems but keep in mind they are a reasonably priced weapon that anyone can afford. Keltec will fix any problems, which are few considering the number made. Spending 2 or 3 times as much for a similar pistol is comparing apples and oranges.

I have carried a Keltec as a bug and deep concealment gun for 10 years. I shoot it at the range every couple of years. It is a very close up 'belly' type of gun. When I take it to the range I only shoot 'point and shoot' at about 5 yards and closer. I am mostly concerned with reliability and general accuaracy. It always hits the paper and always fires. The long trigger pull is the safety. I carry this gun in my back pocket most places I go and it's light weight and ease of concealability are its true value.

Understand each gun for what it is designed for and the small Keltecs are bug's and deep concealment guns, nothing more. They are for taking to places like Safeco Field where open carry and regular concealed carry are more challenging.

The small Keltecs are made for up close personal defense and complete concealment. Up close means stick it on their body and shoot pretty much. Practice at 7 yards, not at 15 yards. 15 yards is 5 feet short of a city lot, farther than close personal defense. I have three in different calibers and they all work 100%. Some have had problems but keep in mind they are a reasonably priced weapon that anyone can afford. Keltec will fix any problems, which are few considering the number made. Spending 2 or 3 times as much for a similar pistol is comparing apples and oranges.

good post,.. i practice with mine at 5-7 yards. also never had an issue, warranty is awesome

I use to have one of those and never did get use to it, so I tried a Taurus TCP and am shocked how much I like it, it's one of my favorite guns to shoot. I can get a 6" group at 25 ft easily with it, not good for a target pistol but I think it's good for a pocket gun. Try one out I bet you'll be surprised.

I don't really like shooting my P3AT, but I've had few problems with it (maybe I lucked-out) and it's almost unparalleled in its ability to conceal.

I carry a S&W 642 most often. I recently purchased a Kahr PM9 and that may take the place of the P3AT in some situations.

I Agree with GOGODawgs.
Carry it, but don't shoot it very often. I have had three of the miserable things because I couldn't believe that last was was really that bad. I liked them fine until I went out an shot them then I sold them.
Life is too short to put up with shooting that little Keltek other than making sure it functions.
Great carry gun but the laws of physics are against any gun that small and light.
For me, there are range guns (1911) and there are carry guns and finding one to do both is a problem. My hats off to anybody that could put up with 200 rounds through a .380 P-3AT.

I originally got a P-32. When I tried carrying it, then trying to fire it, It was one malfunction after another. Mostly fail to feed. There would be a traffic jam in the mag as the next round would NOT come of the mag. Come to find out that .380 rims are larger than the cases. The rim would hook the next one below it in the mag and lock on. Hence, a jam. It will get you killed on the battlefield. I went with the P3AT. No more jams. .32 sucks! :mad:

Do not neglect the finger ententsions. Makes a huge differnece.
The bersa thuder finger ectention fit. Keltec also has them and i just found anohter place that has them.

I originally got a P-32. When I tried carrying it, then trying to fire it, It was one malfunction after another. Mostly fail to feed. There would be a traffic jam in the mag as the next round would NOT come of the mag. Come to find out that .380 rims are larger than the cases. The rim would hook the next one below it in the mag and lock on. Hence, a jam. It will get you killed on the battlefield. I went with the P3AT. No more jams. .32 sucks! :mad:

You must have been using hollowpoints. They are a little shorter than hardball and what happened is called "rimlock". The magazines are built for hardball and "rimlock" won't happen with hardball. I have only seen "rimlock" a couple times so maybe there is something about the way you load the magazine. I just carry hardball in my 32.

I have carried the Kel-tecs since they first came out with the 32 caliber version. Used the Winchester Silvertips and found them to work reliably.

Moved up to the P3AT gen I when it first came out and still carry it daily. Works great as a carry weapon and its the one gun you will always carry because its extremely light and flat, easy to conceal. Again I use the Winchester Silvertips and have had zero problems.

A Tip: You must shoot enough rounds through your 32/380/9mm Kel-tecs to break them in properly. They are all different and may take up to 300 rounds to run smooth. If you still have a problem after that point send your pistol back to the factory and they will fix it for free. They are good folks and stand behind their guns.

These are defensive weapons folks, not target pistols. Good for 7-10 yards. The PF-9 is accurate at 50 feet or more, if you can hold it steady, so its an exception to that 7-10 foot rule.

I have a P-32 and a P3AT. I carry the P3AT as a BUG every day. I forget it's even there and when I run to the market "just for a second" I grab the P3AT and stick it in my pocket. I bought mine used so it was already broken in.

I had a P3AT and after a month or so I got rid of it. I have L to XL hands and it fit ok but I did not care for the quality for the money...... it had no slide lock (stupid) and when you took the slide off, this little part would always drop out and get lost. I sold it to my friend and he loves it and I went and got a sig sauer P6 9mm compact. I love the sig and if I had to carry a "small" CC weapon, I'd go with my old rossi .357 .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top