JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've worked for Keith at the gun show many times, and I have to say the single most annoying thing is the idiot who comes up pretending/dreaming/whatever about the rifle he wants while giving the impression he has money in hand and is ready to buy. He's the one that asks if he can see the Rem 7mm with SS and wood in the box at the bottom of the stack, and after pulling it out, spending a half hour listening to his BS, the guy says he needs to ask his wife and disappears never to be seen again.

Now multiply that story x100 and you may get the picture of what has to be dealt with at the gun show and at the shop. Employees are human and not everyone has the patience of Job when dealing with folks who feel the shop is some sort of petting zoo.

The above is exactly why Keith's has the issues that it has... There are a number of types of people that go into a store... Those that know exactly what they want and walk in to BUY it, those that are unsure or doing price comparisons, those that like to chat to people of like minds and get ideas on future purchases... I for one do not buy my guns based solely on price, I also buy them based on relationships that have been built with certain retailers... I am all of those types of buyers and I expect the same level of treatment when I walk into a store whether I am buying that day or in six months or even a year... As I have not been to Keith's store or even to his tables at the gun show (based on lack of "relationship") in a long time, I can just say that the rude buy or get out attitude is what ended my shopping with Keith's... It is my expectation that the person behind the counter know guns, is able to sell and most importantly has customer service skills... This is a RARE commodity at Keith's and for other gun retailers in PDX area for that matter... A quick sale will make you money on the short term, but a relationship and quality customer service can build you a customer for life that will keep a business healthy in the lean times...

There used to be a waiting period after you purchased a handgun to be able to pick it up, but that ended years ago(15-20 years ago). This refers to a couple of threads ago and as far as keiths goes their alright, my dad was the gun or archery manager for Larrys back in the day and if you had to deal with some of the people that they have to deal with you might have a better understanding for the occasional attitude.

Everytime I have gone into Keith's store it was always the eye roll or the employee gives the "are you serious?" look. I have walked into buy and have gone in with others to buy and that customer nonservice earned other area dealers more business. I'll not ever return to Gresham to visit that store again.

I bought my last handgun from Keiths but only because I knew what I wanted. I didn't need to deal with their horrible customer service and the price was $130 less than NW Armory. I would usually buy at NW Armory but $130 is too much of a difference. I would pay about $40 more to shop at a place I like, like NW Armory.

Never answer phones and voicemail is full. I've been willing to make the drive from Hillsboro to Gresham twice because they had the gun I wanted in stock but, I'm not willing to drive without knowing for sure.

I went to Keiths over a month ago, looking for an 870. There was a line of about 15 people, I figured they were waiting for a background check so I made my way to the counter in the back of the store, I asked how much a mossberg was and he told me with an attitude so I saw an 870 and asked how much that one was. He told me with an even bigger attitude that if I wanted to see or ask any further questions I would have to wait behind 15+ people for the answer to my question. I asked, Isnt that the background check line? He smirked Nope. I turned around, walked out and vowed to NEVER go there again. Walked into gun zone and got my 870 that day, no hassle.

I went to Keiths over a month ago, looking for an 870. There was a line of about 15 people, I figured they were waiting for a background check so I made my way to the counter in the back of the store, I asked how much a mossberg was and he told me with an attitude so I saw an 870 and asked how much that one was. He told me with an even bigger attitude that if I wanted to see or ask any further questions I would have to wait behind 15+ people for the answer to my question. I asked, Isnt that the background check line? He smirked Nope. I turned around, walked out and vowed to NEVER go there again. Walked into gun zone and got my 870 that day, no hassle.

No doubt Keith's has terrible customer service, the line of 15+ people were there before you, but that still doesn't excuse the response. However, each sales person only helps one person at a time, thus the line.

This is actually what won me over as a customer, other than NW Armory raising prices on everything...
Oregon gun store owner tried to block troubled woman from buying gun | OregonLive.com

You can rest assured Keith's will have the best price in town. If you know what you want that's the place to go to buy your firearms. It is true they don't answer their phones or take time to hold your hand as you ask how much on multiple guns. They don't have time for that. It is by far the busiest gun store in Oregon. If you want customer service go to a less busy shop. If you want the largest inventory, with the best prices go to Keith's.

I've worked for Keith at the gun show many times, and I have to say the single most annoying thing is the idiot who comes up pretending/dreaming/whatever about the rifle he wants while giving the impression he has money in hand and is ready to buy. He's the one that asks if he can see the Rem 7mm with SS and wood in the box at the bottom of the stack, and after pulling it out, spending a half hour listening to his BS, the guy says he needs to ask his wife and disappears never to be seen again.

Now multiply that story x100 and you may get the picture of what has to be dealt with at the gun show and at the shop. Employees are human and not everyone has the patience of Job when dealing with folks who feel the shop is some sort of petting zoIIo.

You don't think that happens in every business? Guess what, it does. We have had our sales people help a customer for quite a period of time only to have them walk out without purchasing anything. Or worse yet take 15 minutes of staff time placing an order only to immediately cancel the order(causing more paper work and loss of staff time) or come back 30 minutes later to cancel wasting even more staff time. It is part of running a business and owners should recognize that. Staff should also be taught how to politely help more than one customer at a time, especially when one is obviously just a tire kicker.

I went to Keiths once to look for a specific gun I was interested in. Plus I was curious about the store as I had purchased a used gun from a gun show from them and was impressed with the price. I drove from Newberg and it was during a weekday. Long line of customers and a sign saying wait in line if you want help from a sales person.I looked in the cases and did not see what I wanted and didn't want to waste an hour in line only to find out they didn't have what I wanted. They did have some one working the ammo counter so I purchased two small boxes of.22lr and left. It was a long drive from Newberg and essentially a waste of time. I won't make the trip back, although I will stop in if I happen to be in the area, which is not likely.

I am sure they have the same dilemma that stores like WalMart have. People complain that can't get help at WalMart, but they want cheap prices. Hiring staff costs money and so prices go up. People want cheap prices but good customer service. Can sometimes be hard to offer both. But it sounds as if Keiths is losing enough business due to lack of staff. If they hired even just one more person, especially some one to answer the phone, increased sales might be enough to offset the expense of hiring them.
Not answering your phone and having your voice mail full is poor business practice.

You don't think that happens in every business? Guess what, it does. We have had our sales people help a customer for quite a period of time only to have them walk out without purchasing anything. Or worse yet take 15 minutes of staff time placing an order only to immediately cancel the order(causing more paper work and loss of staff time) or come back 30 minutes later to cancel wasting even more staff time. It is part of running a business and owners should recognize that. Staff should also be taught how to politely help more than one customer at a time, especially when one is obviously just a tire kicker.

A mind reader?
There was nothing more said than what I typed, and I typed my experience. Give Keith a call...maybe he'll give you a job and it will then be the Mecca of gunshops once again ;)

A mind reader?
There was nothing more said than what I typed, and I typed my experience. Give Keith a call...maybe he'll give you a job and it will then be the Mecca of gunshops once again ;)

Trust me, he can 't afford me. Self employed and I make good money lol. I also know how to deal with "challenging customers".
And yes BTW, I am a mind reader. You must be too to have known that :)

I bought most of my handguns from Keith. They simply had the best prices I could fine, even online.
The last time I went into his shop, I was looking for a higher end 1911. they were packed as usual but I did manage to get someone to help me. they took the time and I swear I fondled each and every 1911 he had there other then the special edition Colt. This includes Ed Browns, WIlsons, Nighthawk, ect. They were very helpful in contrast to most of what I have heard. I decided the 1911 I wanted was a Dan Wesson Valor, which they didn't have... So, all in all it was a very good experience.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top