JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hard to do with high ammo prices. What are you guys doing to keep up your skills? It's my opinion that to get the most out of the least ammo expended shooting in matches will keep you sharp. Most matches don't take many rounds and the pressure to do well will keep you trained. Plus you will be able to see how your gear holds up when you shoot under pressure.

Make every shot count...:s0015:

Speed .22 challenges have been fun.

Other then that, I just shoot as much as I can.

Paintball is a great way to train for pressure - those little balls leave big welts on my body lol. Teaches you to keep your head down if you haven't learned that yet.

Speed .22 challenges have been fun.

Other then that, I just shoot as much as I can.

Paintball is a great way to train for pressure - those little balls leave big welts on my body lol. Teaches you to keep your head down if you haven't learned that yet.

I like the idea of paintball but real bullets go through things paintballs will not. As long as a man doesn't spend too much time with it there shouldn't be a fracture of cover and concealment thinking. We all need to keep our shooting eye good and paintball really helps. What does it cost per ball now?

Honestly, it's been 16+ years since I last played and I was involved with a simi-pro/pro team at the time so I was getting better then wholesale prices on paint.

I think the most I paid for a case was $100 and the least was $20-30 I think.

Reload.

you don't save money on high volume common rounds like 55gr fmj and 115gr 9mm, but you shoot a whole lot more
any other half expensive hunting, match and SD ammo you save a crap ton of money

none of the ammo scares affected me, just kept shooting like nothing happened, the upside is no one was at the ranges other than other reloaders

most people serious about shooting already reloads......other than that I got no suggestions, don't be a slave to the market and stupid people ruining everything, reload

your groups will improve and the since of accomplishment is through the roof when you surpass top shelf factory ammo with loads you created for 21 cents each

Reload.

you don't save money on high volume common rounds like 55gr fmj and 115gr 9mm, but you shoot a whole lot more
any other half expensive hunting, match and SD ammo you save a crap ton of money

none of the ammo scares affected me, just kept shooting like nothing happened, the upside is no one was at the ranges other than other reloaders

most people serious about shooting already reloads......other than that I got no suggestions, don't be a slave to the market and stupid people ruining everything, reload

your groups will improve and the since of accomplishment is through the roof when you surpass top shelf factory ammo with loads you created for 21 cents each

I agree but for good training shoot with a purpose. Match shooting combines accuracy and the speed of target acquisition under pressure. All of which are important under a survival situation.

I make the most of 1-2, 50rnd boxes of Tula pistol ammo (9 or .45)

Ive been depleting my .223 tula stockpile as I keep practicing with my ARs, moderately with "realoads" but mostly focusing on shotplacement and shooting in odd yet likely positions.

I know I know.. Naysayers will metion something about the bimetal jacket or steel cases but I dont care, its saved me quite a bit of money so far and my rifles and pistols are just as acurate as the day I started shooting steel cased cheap ammo.

But mostly instead of burning 200-500 rounds in one day Ill spread that out over 2-4 weekends and really try to dial in what Im practicing for. Its fun and conserves ammo.

I agree but for good training shoot with a purpose. Match shooting combines accuracy and the speed of target acquisition under pressure. All of which are important under a survival situation.

Homemade dueling tree, shoot against someone with a set amount of ammo. Split the amount between 3 mags so mag changes have to happen and the person left with the most paddles loses

Barrier drills, home made.
Set up gongs , silhouettes and clay pigeons.
The shooter is allowed 5 rounds per mag and has to make 2 its per opening with the corresponding color gong. Also has to shoot the clays and silhouettes called out......30 rounds 6 mag changes....if any part of your body comes out from behind the barrier than you are done.

another is to set up silhouette. 4 mags 5 rounds each. 100 yards shoot off hand shoot five center mass, mag change , go prone 5 at the head. Get up and sprint 50 yards while changing mag, off hand shoot 5 in center mass, drop prone and shoot 5. its against the clock, every missed shot outside the 7 ring and off the head is -5 seconds

IMGA0116_zps53795140.jpg IMG_1703_zpsfe254678.jpg IMG_1156_zps65a48f9b.jpg Snapshot16-25-20132-58PM_zps7faad3c3.png IMG_0090_zpsfc77604b.jpg

Friend of mine owns this place in Delaware..they take this paintball stuff real serious there..he would not have made a 100 acres devoted to paint ball if he was not making bank...and there was not a demand..and there is still awesome whitetail hunting there.

http://oxcc.com/

I do dry fire work 2-3 times/week for 15 minutes each session. That includes trigger manipulation and draw --> shoot/no shoot types of things. It's a lot more impactful than people realize.

I do dry fire work 2-3 times/week for 15 minutes each session. That includes trigger manipulation and draw --> shoot/no shoot types of things. It's a lot more impactful than people realize.
oh yeah, its all about muscle memory....if there was just a way to add recoil and shooting malfunctions to it

I have a air gun range set up in my shop. Two 25 yard traps at 90 deg to each other and 7 and 15 yard pistol traps. I have half a dozen air guns and mix it up. I have two M&P clones so the feel is similar to what I am actually shooting. It's helped me a bunch. I've shot several thousand "rounds" that I never could have shot otherwise. I also find it a great way to wind down before I head home for the day. If I take an hour and shoot before heading home it's a lot like therapy

Hard to do with high ammo prices. What are you guys doing to keep up your skills? It's my opinion that to get the most out of the least ammo expended shooting in matches will keep you sharp. Most matches don't take many rounds and the pressure to do well will keep you trained. Plus you will be able to see how your gear holds up when you shoot under pressure.

Make every shot count...:s0015:
I have an airsoft pistol range in my garage. Approx. 8 yards from muzzle to target. Shoot replicas. Sound and recoil are the only unrealistic experiences.

It is starling nesting season, and my hoarding neighbor has about 100 of them that nest in his barn. They fly over to steal chicken food and pull grubs in my orchard, both of which are easily seen from my office. The Remington .22 leans up against the wall next to my computer, with the window cracked open, at least 3 of those feathered rats die everyday. I am good out to about 60 yards, then they move to the front yard which is also easily seen and I leave the shop door cracked and can usually pile up a couple there each day.

They get pretty nervous after about a week of that, then I start putting chicken food out to bait them it. Simple things amuse old men.

I had a laserlyte laser trainer (uses a bore sight laser and a target that detects the shot) that was fun until it broke. nice way to train holster work in your basement

These also look fun but quite expensive

I do dry fire drills, and shoot reloadable rubber bullets in my garage. No recoil, but I get plenty of practice drawing and putting my first shot in a target. Doing it after a run helps induce stress [emoji12]

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top