JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What's your opinion and why? This is like an age old debate that I hear goes both ways since I have been in the game. Military says unloaded, some say it don't matter? Right now I cycle my mags to relieve the spring but I was thinking, is that worse?

The steel used in the springs would have to be heated to near melting for the compression of a loaded magazine to deform them in any amount.

Repeated loading and unloading will wear them down over time though

I might take one bullet out of a pistol mag and 2 out of a 30rd mag for storage, but it's being used that wears them out.

If you have shot a Glock (or other pistols) a lot you probably have changed the recoil spring, or shot a rental that was really loose, from all of the shots compressing the spring.

My 2 cents.... I don't load fully, 7 in my wilson carry mags, and I rotate once a week.... Unload and same ammo into another set of 3 wilson mags.

Never leave home without a reload ! What's in ur Holster? LOL

My 2 cents.... I don't load fully, 7 in my wilson carry mags, and I rotate once a week.... Unload and same ammo into another set of 3 wilson mags.

Never leave home without a reload ! What's in ur Holster? LOL

Won't that effectively wear the springs out faster than just keeping them loaded?

Pretty sure I've answered in at least four maybe more.

+1

There was a Browning BAR mag found out in the boonies of Ft 'forget-it's-name-off-the-top-of-my-head-but-give-me-a-day-or-two-to-remember-it' and they estimated by it had been there since the late 30's by the head stamp on the ammo. Spring tension was unaffected.

Met up with some pouges in Afghanistan and their magazines were like brand new both inside and out when we left country.

SF-

I don't feel that it wears faster, I have used the same mags for years in ipsc, speed steel, and tac matches and have just ordered new wilson spring kits. I think they are the best!

After a new mag is loaded it will have spring set (memory) and ur GTG.... Wilson mags and there spring kits come with their GOOd follower.

Just my 2 cents worth....

:s0013:

Here we go again. There are two or three threads on this already.

Well now there's 4, is search working again? Guess instead of making a smart butt answer, I would just not read the post. Starting to think this is not a forum for people to ask questions, especially if they have been asked before, guess I should just come up with conspiracy theories and fuss about ammo prices......just giving you a hard time BAMCIS

I had a couple dozen mags loaded for one of my AK's dating back 22 years ago & they all have worked perfect so far, now that I've finally gotten around to using some of them. I think I usually have reloaded and used the same ones through out the years but I know some of the metal ones were originally loaded up 22 years ago when I got that gun & they've all worked perfect too.

BTW the search function is up and running again.

Thank for the info. I am asking because something deep inside me believes those 17 round and 30 rnd mags are going to be a thing of the past here soon. As much as I want to think they are not, I realize that Obama won the election, and those people who voted for him wants what he wants. So in that case, yes, the people have spoken.....see there, conspracy theory for ya. But I want to protect those for as long as i can, and I have a lot of them.

Well now there's 4, is search working again? Guess instead of making a smart butt answer, I would just not read the post. Starting to think this is not a forum for people to ask questions, especially if they have been asked before, guess I should just come up with conspiracy theories and fuss about ammo prices......just giving you a hard time BAMCIS

Its all good. I have a thick skin.:s0114:

I have studied this very topic in depth have given my thoughts on "keeping the mags full or rotating" threads before.

Here's the short version:

I learned it does not hurt the spring(s) to keep it compressed or relaxed (within design parameters). It doesn't hurt it/them to get worked either. Afterall that's what they're designed for. Need proof? Think about the valve springs in a four stroke engine. Those springs get compressed then relaxed many times a second for 100,000 or so miles. What do you think the springs in mags are made of? Do you really think gun, or in this case magazine manufacturers are going to come up with a new alloy? And if they did do you think that is inferior to the alloy(s) the engineers in Detroit already have? Then if by some miracle they did come up with a new and better alloy, how long would it be before the boys in Detroit started making their springs of the stuff?

Personally the only reason I would see a need to "rotate" mags is to get the dirt and crud out of them from being in a dusty environment (like AFG). And then I simply unload, clean and reload them.

Peace :peace:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top