JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
But I gotta say, Wenis, where'd your wife get that console vault???:s0155: That is very cool. . .

She bought it at Costco online, believe it or not. Check their website. They sell it about $50 cheaper than anyone else.

But like previously mentioned, I use the console vault to keep a pistol inside when I'm at a place where I can't carry it, like a bar, football game (yesterday), etc. To me, it's better than a plastic glovebox that can be ripped out whether it's locked or not.

This thread made me think maybe I should just keep a cheap pistol in the car all the time:
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2949&highlight=cars

However, sometimes my spouse drives my car and I am the only one with CPL license. Do you need a CPL to keep the pistol loaded but locked in the car, or you don’t? :huh:I am in Washington state.

If this is allowed, what is a cheap .45 caliber pistol that you recommend to keep it in the car? (It has to be cheap enough that if it gets stolen, I can deal with it financially :s0131:)

R.C.W. 9.41.050 Says:

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

I had taken that to mean that you could only have a loaded pistol in a vehicle if you had your CPL AND the pistol was on your person OR the pistol was locked in the vehicle and out of sight.

Now I'm not sure. It doesn't say AND or OR at (ii). As I study it more I think it is probably an assumed OR but I'm not sure how much I would gamble on that. Either way any car drivers would have to have their CPL and know about the pistol being there. So your wife would have to get her permit and remember that the pistol was there...otherwise it could be awkward if she was pulled over.:s0131:

R.C.W. 9.41.050 Says:

I had taken that to mean that you could only have a loaded pistol in a vehicle if you had your CPL AND the pistol was on your person OR the pistol was locked in the vehicle and out of sight.

Now I'm not sure. It doesn't say AND or OR at (ii). As I study it more I think it is probably an assumed OR but I'm not sure how much I would gamble on that. Either way any car drivers would have to have their CPL and know about the pistol being there. So your wife would have to get her permit and remember that the pistol was there...otherwise it could be awkward if she was pulled over.:s0131:

Having read that critically I do believe that is what it states. Think about this... If the gun is locked in a pistol safe bolted to the vehicle and your wife does not know the combo, have a key, or the pass code she has no access to that gun. Doesn't that mean since it's completely useless to her it might as well not exist. Now I'm not advocating this but if it actually is illegal as I see it all she has to do if a police officer pulls her over is act stupid.

Officer: Is that a pistol safe I see there?
Wife: Oh yeah that's my husbands
Officer: Is there a gun in it?
Wife: I don't know, I don't have a key, code, combo, etc.
Officer: Do you have a CHL?
Wife: No sir I'm not comfortable carrying a gun
Officer: Could you please open the pistol safe?
Wife: No, sorry officer as I said I have no ability or desire to open that safe
Officer: Really?
Wife: Really, really
Officer: [Grumble] alright, I guess if you can't open the safe and don't know if there is a weapon in it or not it isn't an issue but please inform your husband to make sure there isn't a gun in there when you or anybody else is borrowing the car.
Wife: Yes SIR! He will certainly hear about it.
:s0112:
Isn't this just pleading the 5th. You can't be forced to incriminate yourself right?

Just a different viewpoint. I personally have had my car stolen. It was recovered, slightly damaged. I personally think that keeping a firearm in a unattended vehicle all the time, lets another firearm out to be stolen by criminals and used for whatever. Luckily living in S. Florida, I can keep a firearm in my car while I'm at work and keep it in the glovebox if properly secured. Taking from home into the car and out of the car when home seem IMO a more responsible approach.
rhtwist

Just a different viewpoint. I personally have had my car stolen. It was recovered, slightly damaged. I personally think that keeping a firearm in a unattended vehicle all the time, lets another firearm out to be stolen by criminals and used for whatever. Luckily living in S. Florida, I can keep a firearm in my car while I'm at work and keep it in the glovebox if properly secured. Taking from home into the car and out of the car when home seem IMO a more responsible approach.
rhtwist

I completely agree. Leaving it in the car just allows it to be on the street if/when your car gets broken into or stolen.

BTW, intersting stats from FBI (2006/2005):
- A (building) burglary takes place in the U.S. every 14.6 seconds according to the Uniform Crime Reporting Program Crime Clock
- A motor vehicle is stolen in the United States every 26.4 seconds to the Uniform Crime Reporting Program Crime Clock

(Theft of property without the car being stolen rate would be higher, I am assuming. Either way, you better lock and bolt it down if you want to keep it in the car for any duration. Glovebox won't work and under the seat won't work)

If you hang around gun boards long enough, you'll see a number of threads and posts on this topic, and it's not long before someone chimes in and details the day when they went back to their car, or truck, or SUV, or whatever -- generally always after "nothing more than a quick trip to the store" -- and saw that it was broken into and that their favorite car, truck, SUV, or whatever gun was missing.

Most of these posters, to a man, regret the day that they decided to leave a gun stashed in their car, or truck, or SUV, or whatever -- at least without taking the proper precautions: a gun safe bolted to the frame, for example. And most all of them vow, to a man, to never, ever -- for any reason -- leave a gun stashed in their car, or truck, or SUV, or whatever ever again for as long as they live.

Bersa Ultra Compact .45, inexpensive $359. but not a cheap, or unreliable gun. I have a little safe bolted to the floor of my pickup jumpseat, like Penquin's. Had it there for years. Some kids broke into the truck once and couldn't get into it.

Personally I don't just leave guns in the car because that happened to me once about 8 years ago, and it is no fun at all to know some SOB has my gun and may be using it for who knows what. I forgot to bring it in the house one night and then found my car ransacked in the morning. It leaves you with a sick feeling in your gut believe me. Lesson learned the hard way therefore I don't recommend just leaving guns laying around unsecured. Also get your wife a concealed handgun license and the training to use it otherwise a gun in the car is a liability for her, both legally (check your local laws) if she is pulled over and searched and if she is ever attacked and doesn't know how to use it or it is used against her.

That being said you have a valid question about affordable reliable defensive weapons. Mine was a KelTec P-11 which is a nifty reliable 9 mm that was well under $300 that was stolen from my car. Financially it wasn't a big hit. I had carried that gun for almost 10 years, I have many other guns but it was light weight so I didn't have to leave it behind because of the weight. You don't quite want a throw away gun and you don't want it to be your most prized possession either, but if you can't trust your life with it then it is not worth it no matter how cheap. A guy I know just lost his Kimber and an AR leaving it in a car, I would have felt much worse about that than the Keltec.

If it has to be a .45 then that will drive up the price a little. if other calibers are an option you can stay under $300. You can get into a Taurus PT 145 in 45 acp for under $400 used. It is small light weight has 10 round magazine and is very concealable. Lifetime warranty too. That could fit the bill. It also has a lock so you could lock it before leaving it in your car so if someone stole it they could not use it unless they happened to already have a Taurus key. At least it would slow them down, chances are the perp would not know about the lock, and maybe he would be in for a surprise if he tried to use it to hold up an armed mom and pop store.

As for those recommending revolvers vs S/A. If you are concerned about spring fatigue buy extra magazines and trade them out every month, or load it with 8 instead of 10. Revolvers are a good choice don't get me wrong but don't just leave it there in your car, they can rust and with the Humidity the ammo only will last so long. If it just sits there in your car a revolver can getted gunked up with dust and grime and become unreliable too. Except for long term storage any gun you use for self protection should be cleaned and maintained regularly and shot often enough to make sure you are proficient and they are still in good working order.

Johnny Boy, Let us think and remember what a CCW is all about....A FIREARM......Leaving FIREARM in a vehicle is not something you do. ENOUGH SAID. Bill

Bill,
In a perfect world I would agree... but a perfect world would be one where I can carry concealed at my work place. Since that perfect world does not exist, I am forced to leave my CCW in the car during work hours. So while your suggestion is "enough said" for some.... it isn't for all of us unlucky folk that dont live in your perfect world, where there doesn't seem to be a place that you visit that doesnt allow CCW.
With that said... how many of us actually lock up the pistol when were out of the car? Me? No. If I were to be seen moving a pistol from the trunk to the front seat or vise vera, all **** would break loose.... I have to leave it under the front seat in the holster I have rigged up whether I like it or not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top