JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ODFW lady said only four other fish came in that day. This was technically her second, some jerk did a poor net job and lost her first.

That's pretty much how it went. She hauled in a bigger fish, and I caught the hook in the net, so it wasn't really in the net. Then I went to grab behind the gills, I forgot my net on my first salmon in the truck and cut my hand up bringing it in, and as I went for the grab, he spit the hook and shot out of my lap.

The second fish was in the net in my lap, I was trying to get the stringer on so I didn't lose a second fish of hers, and it flies OUT of the net, but was still hooked, so I netted him again then promptly ripped his gills.

way to document the tragic boating accident.

i'm sorry, but i missed the part where you talked about the firearms that went overboard.
And the darndest thing happened, all of my guns, I'm not entirely sure why I had them ALL with me, by they ALL shot out of the bottom of the boat and went to the bottom of the channel. Who would have thought.

That's pretty much how it went. She hauled in a bigger fish, and I caught the hook in the net, so it wasn't really in the net. Then I went to grab behind the gills, I forgot my net on my first salmon in the truck and cut my hand up bringing it in, and as I went for the grab, he spit the hook and shot out of my lap.

The second fish was in the net in my lap, I was trying to get the stringer on so I didn't lose a second fish of hers, and it flies OUT of the net, but was still hooked, so I netted him again then promptly ripped his gills.
Ain't it amazing! How that happens? You guys have the disadvantage of no dance-floor to stand on while netting them.

There's quite a decent run of coho here at Siltcoos Lake starting 10/1. BIG kayaking lake here,with the outlet (coho inlet) a couple hundred yards from the public ramp.

Ain't it amazing! How that happens? You guys have the disadvantage of no dance-floor to stand on while netting them.

There's quite a decent run of coho here at Siltcoos Lake starting 10/1. BIG kayaking lake here,with the outlet (coho inlet) a couple hundred yards from the public ramp.
I totally forgot my net the first time out and lost a fish because if it. I didn't think I could forget it again, but I did on two other occasions in kayak, no fish though. I never would have thought net was that difficult in a kayak though, but holy cow.

A folding gaff sure worked good, but they're outlawed now.
I never used a net fly fishing, but I always did catch and release. Trout seem to stay in the net when I keep them with the kids. But holy cow, those salmon are on a whole different level of slippery.

Because I like to brag on my kids.

IMG_20221002_132613669.jpg

IMG_20221002_170912858.jpg

Bait casters aren't the greatest trolling reels. I use left handed Okuma Convector model reels for salmon trolling.
One of the best drags I've used.
Call them baitcasters, levelwinds, line counters or conventionals, the "revolving spool" reel is the best reel design for trolling.
Why ?
Easy to "pay out" line in a controlled manner, especially when "back-bouncing".
Superior drag system which can be supplemented with thumb pressure.

So it should free spin if the drag isn't set tight enough? I got home tonight, set the drag, then tightened the shaft bearing nut, but it still free spools.
It sounds like your Ambassadeur is stuck "out of gear"
You should be able to hit the button and it will free spool as long as the spool spindle end cap is not too tight.
Then you should be able to turn the crank and it will snap back into gear (you will hear a click and the button will pop up).

The drag system is separate from the gear system.

It's possible that someone tried to service the reel and put it back together wrong.
If it's a Made in Sweden reel it will outlast you and parts are available.
Use Penn reel cleaner or Salt Away when it gets exposed to salt water, then rinse with fresh water.

It sounds like your Ambassadeur is stuck "out of gear"
You should be able to hit the button and it will free spool as long as the spool spindle end cap is not too tight.
Then you should be able to turn the crank and it will snap back into gear (you will hear a click and the button will pop up).

The drag system is separate from the gear system.

It's possible that someone tried to service the reel and put it back together wrong.
If it's a Made in Sweden reel it will outlast you and parts are available.
Use Penn reel cleaner or Salt Away when it gets exposed to salt water, then rinse with fresh water.
I checked some schematics, and it is missing the nut cover, which will allow for free spinning. I ordered a new cover and it should arrive next week.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top