JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just stumbled upon this article... Wow!

Edmonds kayaker catches record 124-pound halibut off Neah Bay - HeraldNet.com - Everett and Snohomish County news

I'm out at neah bay quite often and see the kayak fishermen doing their thing all the time... I actually talked with the dude who had the previous kayak halibut record- he said the thing dragged him around for like an hour before he was able to land it! After talking with those guys, and seeing how much fish they bring in (mostly lings and rockfish) I am sorely tempted to invest in a kayak of my own...Man that sounds like so much fun!

If you are lookin at a good Sea Kayak, nothing better then building your own, and nothing rides better in the really rough stuff then a Gulimot Western Greenland style. I built my third one from a kit I got from White Salmon boat works! I built Shell Star from a basic kit and tricked it out to my needs and tastes! Have a look! Also check out Chesapeake light craft for the range of nice ceder strip built boats! I have a Expedition Single I built from them, it's a bit heavier and a bit slower, but it's a serious freight mover for long distance trips!
Cedar strip boats:White Salmon Boat Works:canoes,kayaks,plans,kits:Ray Klebba

I've been kayak fishing for quite some time. Never found the time to do any halibut chasing (actually, the weather fails me when I can). It's a blast. I know the guys in that article. That's not even the biggest kayak halibut either, a guy in AK picked up one over 200lbs a number of years ago, not to mention guys that have taken on 450lb salmon sharks and even a guy in Europe that picked up a shark that pushed 1000lbs! My best has been about a 9' sturgeon.

Kayak fishing is addictive. I advise caution. And a SOT kayak, not a cedar strip boat

I was doing a long distance paddle around cape flattery (on a prone paddle board, not an SUP) when a big shark swam up to me and did a few circles around the board. Pretty sure it was a blue shark, and that he was just checking me out. Still, I had to pull my hands up out of the water and wait there for him to swim away- kind of spooked me! I've also had encounters with whales and sea lions while paddling.
I enjoy seeing predators that are larger and stronger than me-- I think it helps me to regain needed perspective that I lose by being stuck in the suburban bubble. When I start walking around thinking I'm king sh!t of f@<k mountain, I know that it's time to have my attitude adjusted by re-entry into the food chain.

Anyway, I'm TOTALLY going to buy a kayak soon!

I have been kayak fishing for a few years now and it's a blast. I haven't had a chance to do any halibut fishing in WA yet, but I hope to change that next year. I did fish for halibut from my kayak a little bit when I was stuck in the PDRK, didn't really catch much.

I've spent the last 3 years kayak fishing in southern Louisiana and to me there's no better way to fish the bayou's. There's nothing like going on a "Cajun sleigh ride" (hooking a big Redfish and it pulling you around the bayou). The only down side was some of the visitors you get....

20150726_091542.jpg

20140614_140627.jpg

It can get a little unnerving at times.

Ray

I have yet do do any Deep water Salt water fishing, but I used to Kayak fish for salmon and steelhead out of my Wood Kayaks a lot! Now it's pretty much big lake fishing out of the Kayak's but still a hoot!

I have been kayak fishing for a few years now and it's a blast. I haven't had a chance to do any halibut fishing in WA yet, but I hope to change that next year. I did fish for halibut from my kayak a little bit when I was stuck in the PDRK, didn't really catch much.

I've spent the last 3 years kayak fishing in southern Louisiana and to me there's no better way to fish the bayou's. There's nothing like going on a "Cajun sleigh ride" (hooking a big Redfish and it pulling you around the bayou). The only down side was some of the visitors you get....

View attachment 324425

View attachment 324426

It can get a little unnerving at times.

Ray

I,m pretty sure if one of those dang alligators came that close to me in a Kayak it would get scared away by the smell coming from the boat LOL:eek::oops:

I,m pretty sure if one of those dang alligators came that close to me in a Kayak it would get scared away by the smell coming from the boat LOL:eek::oops:

I found that the best way to keep the small and medium sized ones (up to 6' or 7') away from you is to try to run over them with your kayak. They get scared and swim away. My guess is that they think you're a predator and don't want to take the chance to find out one way or another.

Ray

Slobra: "I found that the best way to keep the small and medium sized ones (up to 6' or 7') away from you is to try to run over them with your kayak. They get scared and swim away. My guess is that they think you're a predator and don't want to take the chance to find out one way or another."

I caught rattlesnakes by hand as a child in AZ, played chicken with rodeo bulls, and stood my ground with a charging Kodiak grizzly. You can have the gators, brother. I HATE being close gators. They are too unpredictable for me.

Up in Sequim I met a diver/kayaker that was going halibut fishing......with a gun to neutralize it,lol
He said it might pull you around a bit but if it gets to the surface you shoot it,just like they do on big boats. Then raft it to shore
Speaking of preditors,one guy caught a halibut in his little 16"er out in the straights. There was an orca that watched this and followed his boat. A motor boat btw
Haha
He dumped the fish cause he got nervous cause the orca was following him:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews