JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

The Department of Administrative Services, at the direction of Governor Kate Brown, has adopted a policy prohibiting all state employees from having a licensed firearm for self defense on "all property and facilities owned, leased, rented or otherwise occupied by the Oregon state government including grounds, buildings, parking structures and lots, vehicles and other equipment and any site where an employee enters on behalf of the employee's employment with Oregon state government except for an employee's home (including employees who live in state housing)…"

This policy extends to "All employees, including limited duration and temporary employees, board and commission members, volunteers, and others working in an agency…"

The policy also forbids "knobkerries" and states that biological and chemical weapons are not considered "sporting equipment" under this rule.(We are unaware of any knobkerrie attacks by state workers.)

As stated, even civilian volunteers on boards are prohibited from having the means to protect themselves. "Serving utensils" will still be permitted.

In a press release issued today House Rep. Duane Stark said:

"I am still researching details on this policy change but this sounds like a serious encroachment on 2nd amendment rights of tens of thousands of state employees and volunteers working in state agencies across Oregon."

House Rep. Carl Wilson said :

"State employees have a right to defend themselves and it is sad to see state bureaucrats take that away. I am extremely concerned about this policy and will be talking with others in the legislature to see how we can fix this to protect the rights of law abiding citizens who work in state government."

Senate Republican Leader Ted Ferrioli said:

"The governor's administration has no business confiscating self-defense rights from public servants, volunteers and others, who have committed themselves to serving our state. Oregonians should be outraged that public servants are now endangered due to a seemingly political agenda at the cost of safety."

As you might expect, Kate Brown will still be provided around the clock, armed protection by the Oregon State Police. Brown has expressed no concerns about guns in her workplace. She just does not trust any state employee who is not charged with protecting her.

This a very dangerous policy and a slap in the face to state workers, and DAS and Brown have not provided a single example of a state employee with a CHL abusing that right or threatening anyone. Brown's campaigns have been largely funded by public employees unions. It will be interesting to see how they respond to this latest insult.

The policy was issued by DAS Chief Human Resources Officer Madilyn Zike and she can be reached at (503) 378-3020.

------
Oregon Firearms Federation

If she is willing to do that to her own employees what do you think she will try to do to the rest of us.

As a sign of "good faith" the governor's security detail should turn in their guns (and their knobkerries) immediately.
She will then be totally defenseless like all state employees.
As "state employee #1" I'm sure she'd be fine with that...

Gov. Katie cannot rescind the God-given right to self defense.

The first time a state employee is injured or killed because of this foolish leadership, the governor and anyone who helped her with this decision should be brought up on charges and sued until they are penniless.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do these people not understand?

She should immediately quit trying to govern, go home, and bake some cookies. If she knows how to cook.

I probably should have done it a long time ago - but this 2A infringement put the spurs to me, and I joined the NRA. Not sure how much good it'll do, but...

Last Edited:
Well, that is one way to get the most ardent 2A supporting state employees to leave civil service, thereby ensuring a united sycophantic front. How many shootings by state employees not working in law enforcement happened on state property in the last 20 years in Oregon? In the last 60? Since it is unlikely that number would increase after making such a rule change, the current administration will be happy to point that out, and credit the new rules and the magnanimous and beloved Brown as the greatest architect of peace, worthy of the Nobel prize.

Gov. Katie cannot rescind the God-given right to self defense.

The first time a state employee is injured or killed because of this foolish leadership, the governor and anyone who helped her with this decision should be brought up on charges and sued until they are penniless.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do these people not understand?

She should immediately quit trying to govern, go home, and bake some cookies. If she knows how to cook.

I probably should have done it a long time ago - but this 2A infringement put the spurs to me, and I joined the NRA. Not sure how much good it'll do, but...

Hey, at least you are doing something other than complaining about them like many here do.... Have some faith but do not expect that giving money to any 2A org to do all the work is gonna fix things.
We as individuals have a job to do so let's get busy.;)

All she had done is make state employees easier targets. If a nut bag is going to come in and rob, hold up or shoot up a state office Is he really going to give a crap about this law knowing that the office is going to be unarmed.

On the other hand if he thought maybe someone will shoot back and he does not want to die. Maybe he will think it through and realize it's a bad idea.

And even if that nut bag goes through with it there maybe someone there with a firearm to stop him.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top