Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Katahdin Lambs for Pet or meat

Discussion in 'Non-Firearm Item Classifieds' started by bradley, Jan 1, 2011.

1. bradley

bradley salem area Member

For those who have not had them. Katahdin sheep are hair sheep and produce no wool. Without the wool there is little to no lanolin. Lanolin is what gives sheep that mutton taste. Even people that dont like lamb have told me that these taste fantastic. I have butchered several of these and have a freezer full. I would keep them but I have a pig at the butcher right now and a cow that will be going in a month. $100 each. On site kill is OK. $20 gut disposal if you choose to leave them, but they make great coyote bait.

2. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

how much do these weigh after butcher? or how much weight in meat I guess is what I'm asking?

3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

+1 :thumbup:

MMMmmm.... I love lamb, and since my wife is an Aussie (they eat more lamb than anyone) and a former chef who makes world class roasts, I'm possibly intersted too. :)

4. bradley

I am no a pro. butcher. 1.5 months ago I butchered 2 of them and I am sure that I wasted allot more than a pro would. I ended up with 4 nice roast 30lbs of steak and 28lbs of ground.
    Round about way of answering but I would guess right now they weigh about 75-80 lbs. maybe a little more, on the hoof. Should end up with 55+/- lbs per animal

I am also willing to trade.

5. bradley

Bump with a price drop. $85 per animal. $160 for both. If no wants them at that price they are going into my freezer.

6. Ian1816

Ian1816 Oregon City Active Member

How much does it cost to have them butchered?

7. bradley

I would call C&C in scio. They are the cheapest around for cows and pigs. I dont know what they will charge I have never paid anyone to butcher one for me. (they are just like cutting a deer)

8. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Mmmmm. Lamb is awesome when it is properly cooked. Many people overcook it.

9. Logical1

Logical1 southeast portland, OR Member

PM sent on the lamb. Im free saturday please call me......thanks
    Logical

10. Logical1

Logical1 southeast portland, OR Member

picked up two lambs over the weekend here and they butcherd out great, nice meat and very tender. I would buy another one if I had the room....