JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SACRAMENTO, CA - Before the midnight deadline, Gov. Schwarzenegger acted on 685 bills that were on his desk. He signed 456 and vetoed 229.

One of the bills that he signed was Assembly Bill 962. It requires handgun ammunition to be kept behind the counter where customers cannot access it without assistance. It also requires gun shop owners to thumbprint people who buy handgun ammunition, as well as record their identification and provide that information to police.

Schwarzenegger released a statement explaining why he signed the bill.

"To the Members of the California State Assembly: I am signing Assembly Bill 962.

This measure would require vendors of handgun ammunition to keep a log of information on handgun ammunition sales, store ammunition in a safe and secure manner, and require the face to-
face transfer of ammunition sales.

Although I have previously vetoed legislation similar to this measure, local governments have demonstrated that requiring ammunition vendors to keep records on ammunition sales improves public safety. These records have allowed law enforcement to arrest and prosecute persons who have no business possessing firearms and ammunition: gang members, violent parolees, second and third strikers, and even people previously serving time in state prison for murder.

Utilized properly, this type of information is invaluable for keeping communities safe and preventing dangerous felons from committing crimes with firearms.

Moreover, this type of record keeping is no more intrusive for law abiding citizens than similar laws governing pawnshops or the sale of cold medicine. Unfortunately, even the most successful
local program is flawed; without a statewide law, felons can easily skirt the record keeping requirements of one city by visiting another. Assembly Bill 962 will fix this problem by
mandating that all ammunition vendors in the state keep records on ammunition sales.

As Governor, I have sought the appropriate balance between public safety and the right to keep and bear arms. I have signed important public safety measures to regulate the sale and transfer of .50 caliber rifles, instituted the California Firearms License Check program, and promoted the use of microstamping technology in handguns. I have also vetoed many pieces of legislation that sought to place unreasonable restrictions and burdens on firearms dealers and ammunition vendors.

Assembly Bill 962 reasonably regulates access to ammunition and improves public safety without placing undue burdens on consumers. For these reasons, I am pleased to sign this bill."

Click here for a full list of what bills the Governor signed and vetoed.

<broken link removed>

Look for somthing like this to pop up in Oregon soon. I'd bet a buck or two that Ginny Burdick will be one of the first one's to jump on this bandwagon in Oregon.

Kalifornia Ammunition Bill Signed into Law

Coming to a State you live in soon

Well what do you expect his father was a nazi, but really we should be looking for this here in Oregon and washington State, what our lawmakers do is NOT the will of the people.:(

I hope this is the final straw that broke the peasants back.

I hope to see an uprising of gun shops and whatnot refusing to abide by this new legislation. Will never happen, I know. But it's time someone started standing up.

All he is, is a mouth piece for the kennedy clan via Maria. Don't believe for a second he is actually aware of what's going on other than what his wife spouts in his ear. The only reason Maria married him was to try to bread bullet proof Kennedy's.:s0114: I know OLD joke...

I realize this is common sense to anyone with 2 working brain cells, but how is this going to stop "the criminals and gang members" from getting ammo? I'm guessing they don't go to retailers to but their ammo to begin with, they will steal it from someone and now the the ammo they bought and was registered to them is used in all sorts of crimes.
WOW head rush I better get off my soapbox and take a deep breath before I pass out. Sorry for the rant I better get back to work so I can pay our government reps salary.

Look for somthing like this to pop up in Oregon soon. I'd bet a buck or two that Ginny Burdick will be one of the first one's to jump on this bandwagon in Oregon.

I dont think Kulongoski would sign it, even if such a bill made it to his desk. Even though he is a liberal, he has held a concealed-handgun permit for over 10 yrs now, ever since he was our Attorney General. There isnt widespread public support for such a law.

We just have to stayed banded to-gether and let OUR politicos, inthenorthwest know we do not want this. Next thing Peoples Republic will complain we are selling ammo to Kalifornia. Watch your vote, and make it count. Bill

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews