JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Isn't SCCY coming out with a smaller and lighter CPX 380 soon?

Honestly I'm not sure - I know they have added a ton of color options for the lower polymer part of the gun but haven't followed any of the news.

I found mine used here for $150. Picked it up as a plinker / range toy but it's so reliable and accurate that I made it my summer carry gun.

By the way, do not listen to the folks who say, "If you'll go with a pocket 380, you might as well go to a 9mm in that pocket." I carried a PM9 (also black diamond, BTW) in a pocket for awhile and was always struck by how the absolute smallest wonder-9 could feel so stinkin' big in my front jeans pocket. The CM9/PM9 is significantly larger than the P380, especially in a pocket. If deep cover is your desire, then the P380 is the gun to get.

If carrying it on your waist is the plan, then stay away from the P380 and go straight for a single-stack 9mm without passing Go and collecting $200. I see no real benefit in the P380 that don't get with a CW9/P9 (or Shield or G43 or CCP or XDs or...) and you get the negatives of an underpowered round and a teeny grip that is a bit hard to grasp. Even the G42 isn't really a pocket gun.

But the P380 veritably SHINES as a forever-carry never-take-it-off pocket gun that you wear when you don't or can't carry a gun.

Perfect. Exactly what I wanted to hear.

I've already got my IWB single stack 9 - Star BM (highly recommended compact 1911 Commander clone) so pocket carry is what I'm after.

Cheers!

I do not "Enjoy" shooting any small pocket pistol. I love shooting my Browning BDA (Nickel) with Pachmayr grips.. It has poor sights that would take considerable metalwork on the slide to improve, but it is a hefty all steel double stack that is just pleasurable to shoot.
My pocket pistols not so much, recoil becomes a greater factor with smaller lighter pistols with less to hold on to. The Colt Mustang XSP has a greater palm swell that tames it a lot, then the G-42 is reasonable, especially with the extended magazine, but again it is the biggest of these 380 flavor pocket pistols. I have a nice leather RKBA pocket holster for the 42 and while it works great for me and my jeans pocket, my wife has smaller pockets on her jeans and it's a tighter fit. I have RKBA's leather IWB holster for it too, better for the wife,
I also have a RKBA holster for the Kahr and that works great, the Kahr is reasonably comfortable to shoot. I had not had a previous bad shooting experience with it.
I carry a pocket pistol not because I enjoy shooting it, but because it should work when I need it to. If I could find a good Self Defense load that I could shoot reliably, the Kahr could be back in rotation, it does not have to shoot all different rounds. The PMC are hardball or more correctly FMJ rounds, I would prefer XTP or something like that. I have some Underwood XTP that I will try the next outing.

I own or have owned several Kahr pistols. Each has been reliable. However, you go to the KahrTalk Forum you will read plenty of testimony of some unreliable ones. From what I can tell from some of those posts, their factory CS is reasonably good in correcting problems.

And that long (but very smooth) Kahr DAO trigger pull is definitely not for everyone, particularly those who favor and do well with a Glock-like trigger. So make a point of trying before buying to judge whether the trigger is for you, or not.

My P380 has been great. If it had not been, I would not have it, let alone carry it.

I got it in 2010 and it has about 800-1000 rounds thru it of various types of ammo. Not particularly sensitive as all to ammo and I have shot a lot of cheap stuff thru it, including reloads. It is much nicer to shoot and shoot well that some other more popular polymer .380's, which I have also owned. It handles more like the older steel frame .380's in terms of perceived recoil and quickly getting back on target after a shot. The Browning 1910 comes to mind, but with much better sights.

The one complaint I have with my particular pistol is that the slide lock lever is VERY sensitive to touch. If my firing grip contacts it even just a little, the slide will fail to lock open after the last round. For me, that's exasperating. So I don't use the "thumbs forward" grip anymore with it, but a "revolver" type grip to make-do with an otherwise splendid little gun.

Great point!;)

OP, what do you plan as this guns primary purpose?
I own or have owned several Kahr pistols. Each has been reliable. However, you go to the KahrTalk Forum you will read plenty of testimony of some unreliable ones. From what I can tell from some of those posts, their factory CS is reasonably good in correcting problems.

And that long (but very smooth) Kahr DAO trigger pull is definitely not for everyone, particularly those who favor and do well with a Glock-like trigger. So make a point of trying before buying to judge whether the trigger is for you, or not.

My P380 has been great. If it had not been, I would not have it, let alone carry it.

I got it in 2010 and it has about 800-1000 rounds thru it of various types of ammo. Not particularly sensitive as all to ammo and I have shot a lot of cheap stuff thru it, including reloads. It is much nicer to shoot and shoot well that some other more popular polymer .380's, which I have also owned. It handles more like the older steel frame .380's in terms of perceived recoil and quickly getting back on target after a shot. The Browning 1910 comes to mind, but with much better sights.

The one complaint I have with my particular pistol is that the slide lock lever is VERY sensitive to touch. If my firing grip contacts it even just a little, the slide will fail to lock open after the last round. For me, that's exasperating. So I don't use the "thumbs forward" grip anymore with it, but a "revolver" type grip to make-do with an otherwise splendid little gun.

That is very helpful and reassuring information.

I'm not a Glock fan but I do get your point on the long DAO trigger pull. I believe that will be fine with me but I will give one a "go" before dropping a wad of cash.

Thanks for the insight.

Thanks again.

I have been thinking of getting a Kahr CT380 for over a year now. If I ever do pull the trigger I will buy through Davidsons Gallery of Gun to get their life time guarantee.

Well, but the S&W and Beretta 380 competitors are such a newer design, from companies who know far more about making handguns than Kahr ever will. The Beretta is especially cool, since it is modular. Why buy such an old design that has been so problematic, when there are newer pistols out that are in the same price range?

Have you ever disassembled one of the plastic Kahrs, and looked inside them? You will not be impressed.

I'm amazed that you are so very focused on this pistol, that you will not even consider taking a look at any of its competitors. There is so much info that you can find online.

You should also reconsider getting a 380, in my opinion. As has already been mentioned in this thread, 9mm ammo can be had for much less money. You will be able to afford to buy a lot more ammo to practice with, plus have a more powerful handgun with much better stopping power.

And there are quite a few really small 9mm compacts now available on the market.

Finally, are you aware that the founder of Kahr is one of the 16 children of the Reverend Sun Myung Moon??

120902081640-rev-moon-06-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Well, but the S&W and Beretta 380 competitors are such a newer design, from companies who know far more about making handguns than Kahr ever will. The Beretta is especially cool, since it is modular. Why buy such an old design that has been so problematic, when there are newer pistols out that are in the same price range?

Have you ever disassembled one of the plastic Kahrs, and looked inside them? You will not be impressed.

I'm amazed that you are so very focused on this pistol, that you will not even consider taking a look at any of its competitors. There is so much info that you can find online.

You should also reconsider getting a 380, in my opinion. As has already been mentioned in this thread, 9mm ammo can be had for much less money. You will be able to afford to buy a lot more ammo to practice with, plus have a more powerful handgun with much better stopping power.

And there are quite a few really small 9mm compacts now available on the market.

Finally, are you aware that the founder of Kahr is one of the 16 children of the Reverend Sun Myung Moon??

Too many light strikes with the S&W Bodyguard and the Beretta Pico simply sucks. The Ruger LCP and Kel Tec P3AT are too snappy and you need to add an extended magazine to keep a grip on them, so why not just get a pistol with a decent grip to start with.

I have already owned and sold both the Bersa Thunder 380 and 380CC due to constant FTF + FTE problems. My current EDC is a Ruger LC9s. I did have to keep hiking up some shorts with it this summer, so I ended up borrowing my wife's Kel Tec P32 for those "Light Carry" days.

Yes, Justin Moon founded Kahr Arms to piss off his father.

The CT380 is great if you need a little larger 380, but it leaves the realm of pocket pistol. And the grip is still so darn narrow! All the downsides of a teeny tiny gun are balanced by the deep-cover aspect of the P380's pocket carry-ability. But I just can't quite figure out the place for the CT380. Maybe for the person who wants that slightly longer grip and really appreciates the lighter recoil of the 380? That makes sense. It is still quite a bit smaller than the CW9, which could be good in some uses.

I have disassembled my CW380. while it is the cheaper rendition I found nothing to gripe about.

I have 2500+ rounds of 380, cost doesn't mean diddly compared to comfort shooting a pocket pistol. Nines are even more uncomfortable, the LC9s is marginal in comfort, XDS a little better, I have not shot a Glock 43, but I would guess similar to a LC9s. I don't think of a single box of ammo as qualifying as a "Range" pistol. I shoot these pocket pistols to stay current with their characteristics. I like practicing with a full size Gun, my 380's are back ups If practicing with a small gun it will be a EDC, for me that is XDS 45, XD45 SC Mod 2, or my Glock 33. I can shoot at least 2 boxes with them.

And there are quite a few really small 9mm compacts now available on the market. Again, not a fan.

Finally, are you aware that the founder of Kahr is one of the 16 children of the Reverend Sun Myung Moon?? That doesn't make the guns bad.....unless of course the Reverend put a Hex on them.

View attachment 310825

Not sure it'll help as you're asking about the P380, but I've owned a PM9 for many years now and it's been fantastic. It's my go-to gun when I need something small. If I remember correctly the break-in period was quite long, 500 rounds or so? Being a Glock fan I've tried all sorts of reasoning to convince myself I need a G43, but the PM9 is just too good.

Not sure it'll help as you're asking about the P380, but I've owned a PM9 for many years now and it's been fantastic. It's my go-to gun when I need something small. If I remember correctly the break-in period was quite long, 500 rounds or so? Being a Glock fan I've tried all sorts of reasoning to convince myself I need a G43, but the PM9 is just too good.

Your overthinking it Joe.

Do you have a box of 9mm laying around?
Great! Then you need a G43.

Find a bayonet at a yard sale?
Fantastic! You need the rifle.

That's how it works.
Or should. ;)

I've looked at the PM9 and like it too. Just really like the compactness of the P380. Glad to hear that you still like it and it was worth the extra bucks.
If I were independently wealthy, I'd just go out and purchase a few different single stack 9s (including a PM9 in Black Diamond) as well as several of the 380s recommended from the members here.
BTW - Thanks for setting up a great site. I've learned a ton.

The CT380 is great if you need a little larger 380, but it leaves the realm of pocket pistol. And the grip is still so darn narrow! All the downsides of a teeny tiny gun are balanced by the deep-cover aspect of the P380's pocket carry-ability. But I just can't quite figure out the place for the CT380. Maybe for the person who wants that slightly longer grip and really appreciates the lighter recoil of the 380? That makes sense. It is still quite a bit smaller than the CW9, which could be good in some uses.

I have a Ruger LC9s in my pocket (with holster) right now. The Kahr CT380 shaves half an inch of overall length and four ounces of weight (not counting the lighter ammo) off of the LC9s. But I am in no hurry since Summer Carry season is over. What is the rule? No 380s after Labor Day?

Besides I need to save up for some higher cap purchases before Hilary. Hopefully these pocket pistols will still be around at the beginning of next summer.

Of course part of the issue is what sort of clothing is somebody going to be wearing during those times they need to pocket carry? For me, I am wearing more dressy clothing on those pocket carry days and anything thicker than .7" just feels like a brick in my dress pockets.

I've looked at the PM9 and like it too. Just really like the compactness of the P380. Glad to hear that you still like it and it was worth the extra bucks.
If I were independently wealthy, I'd just go out and purchase a few different single stack 9s (including a PM9 in Black Diamond) as well as several of the 380s recommended from the members here.

Compactness is the biggest benefit of the .380 guns. I don't trust it at all, but it's better than nothing, so I do carry my P3AT when nothing else will work. Also worth mentioning is the CM9, which can be found for considerably less and I believe would work just as well for carry purposes.

BTW - Thanks for setting up a great site. I've learned a ton.

No problem! :)

Does Kahr have a CW380 yet? A budget version of the P380? I think they do. I'm just too much of a gun snob to go that direction. ;)

Although, go figure, since I'm a Glock fanboy and a gun snob would probably go HK VP9 or Sig 320 or FNS9.