JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For some reason, despite a bunch of bad press surrounding the KAHR P380 detailing all types of malfunctions and return trips to the factory for replacement parts & tweaking, I'm still considering purchasing one.

Am I out of my mind?

Anybody have real firsthand experience good/bad with this firearm? What say you?

Thanks in advance -

I've had one for 6 years now and the only issue I've had with it was a failure to feed with FTX truncated cone ammo. I've read those reviews, too, but my experience has been much different.

Glad to help. I should add that, as you may already know, Kahr recommends a 200 round break in. I did that and followed the cleaning and lube guidelines in the owners manual and, except for the FTX FTF, it's been reliable. Good luck, they're fun to shoot.

They're great, but picky. Find the ammo it likes and it's smooth sailing. I've had a couple, one liked Gold Dot, the other liked Hornady Critical defense. Both are meh on my reloads but I'm still tweaking the perfect formula for them.

Thanks, Maddog. I knew about the break-in period (which is a lot to ask based on the current price of 380). I've been toying with the idea of buying one on the secondary market but I'm scared to death that I may end up with a lemon.

Hey Phrank - Appreciate your input.
I'm glad to hear that it may be possible to crack the code on these 'tight tolerance" firearms if you can find the right ammo.
So many folks have trashed these in the chat rooms that I've been holding off.

For some reason, despite a bunch of bad press surrounding the KAHR P380 detailing all types of malfunctions and return trips to the factory for replacement parts & tweaking, I'm still considering purchasing one.

Am I out of my mind?

Anybody have real firsthand experience good/bad with this firearm? What say you?

Thanks in advance -

Yes, you have made a very bad decision indeed. Kahr design and quality are both not good. I bought its bigger brother: the PM9, and boy, how I ended up regretting that purchase. Nothing but problems, including reliability. Ended up replacing the handgun with a quality, well built and designed handgun, the Walther PPS.

Don't buy Kahr. I would choose either a S&W Bodyguard 380 or a Beretta Pico over it. Much better engineered and built handguns. Although, I should admit that I'm not a big fan of 380 pistols, and am biased against them. Especially when we now have so many nice compact 9mm pistols to choose from.

I recently did a test of seven 380's I own including a Kahr CW380, it shot PMC just great, at 5 yards it hit precisely at point of aim, one big hole (14 Rounds) but was a jam-o-matic with Fiocchi.
I liked my Colt Mustang XSP the best, but it is pricey and only average accurate. a lot of people don't like "Cocked & Locked" in their pocket. The Safety does not lock the slide by the way. Ruger LCP Custom was the best. Not a RM380 fan anymore either, but if you have a weak hand it is easy to rack, it was a little finicky, but it was brand new and unfired to that point. It's accurate. Glock 42 the biggest pocket pistol. accurate, works good.
I also tested a second regular LCP, it was good as far as accuracy and reliability goes, not a great deal of fun, sights are more marginal (Custom has great sights) also I tested a older S&W 380 Sigma, and while I have always disliked it, it was actually okay.
I am cleaning and will re-test the Kahr. with a variety of ammo.

I've never had a problem with 6 different Kahrs I've owned. Right now my only Kahr is a P380 black diamond. I love my Glocks, but I can't tell you how many times it was my teeny P380 that ended up in my shorts pocket (in an Alabama Holsters pocket rig) all summer.

I find I have to hold low or put the front sight above the rear to hit, but I am able to get good groups. Between the LCP and the P380 (the only two truly pocket guns that I would ever consider), the Kahr is twice the quality of the Ruger, easy.

Who cares about break-in? I don't get it. Shoot it a lot and you'll be way ahead of the game. This pistol will last for years...decades, really. Granted it's not a plinker, but it won't beat up your hand either. I think it is really shootable.

Yes, you have made a very bad decision indeed. Kahr design and quality are both not good. I bought its bigger brother: the PM9, and boy, how I ended up regretting that purchase. Nothing but problems, including reliability. Ended up replacing the handgun with a quality, well built and designed handgun, the Walther PPS.

Don't buy Kahr. I would choose either a S&W Bodyguard 380 or a Beretta Pico over it. Much better engineered and built handguns. Although, I should admit that I'm not a big fan of 380 pistols, and am biased against them. Especially when we now have so many nice compact 9mm pistols to choose from.

Hey Lance - Sounds like unfortunately you ended up with one of the "lemons" that so many other folks have reported as well. Hope you're having much better luck with the PPS - it's a nice gun. Thanks for your input and suggestions.

I've never had a problem with 6 different Kahrs I've owned. Right now my only Kahr is a P380 black diamond. I love my Glocks, but I can't tell you how many times it was my teeny P380 that ended up in my shorts pocket (in an Alabama Holsters pocket rig) all summer.

I find I have to hold low or put the front sight above the rear to hit, but I am able to get good groups. Between the LCP and the P380 (the only two truly pocket guns that I would ever consider), the Kahr is twice the quality of the Ruger, easy.

Who cares about break-in? I don't get it. Shoot it a lot and you'll be way ahead of the game. This pistol will last for years...decades, really. Granted it's not a plinker, but it won't beat up your hand either. I think it is really shootable.

Glad to hear some good news about your KAHR experiences. Thanks.
I really like the look of the Black Diamond finish on the P380 slide. But of the used P380s I've seen, many have had holster wear to the black diamond coating. Wondering if the finish wears off prematurely or folks are carrying it in a pocket full of quarters. What has been your impression of the black diamond treatment?

I recently did a test of seven 380's I own including a Kahr CW380, it shot PMC just great, at 5 yards it hit precisely at point of aim, one big hole (14 Rounds) but was a jam-o-matic with Fiocchi.
I liked my Colt Mustang XSP the best, but it is pricey and only average accurate. a lot of people don't like "Cocked & Locked" in their pocket. The Safety does not lock the slide by the way. Ruger LCP Custom was the best. Not a RM380 fan anymore either, but if you have a weak hand it is easy to rack, it was a little finicky, but it was brand new and unfired to that point. It's accurate. Glock 42 the biggest pocket pistol. accurate, works good.
I also tested a second regular LCP, it was good as far as accuracy and reliability goes, not a great deal of fun, sights are more marginal (Custom has great sights) also I tested a older S&W 380 Sigma, and while I have always disliked it, it was actually okay.
I am cleaning and will re-test the Kahr. with a variety of ammo.

From what I've read, ammo selection is critical and you've confirmed it as well. Thanks for your response and insight on the other 380s.
I'm more than a little nervous about carrying Cocked & Locked in my pocket - which is why the DAO Kahr is of interest. Keep me posted.
Many thanks.

What has been your impression of the black diamond treatment?
I keep it in the pocket holster at night and when not in use. This is absolutely not my training gun, either. I say all this to explain that this gun does not go in and out of a holster, certainly nothing like my USPSA Glock. I see absolutely no wear on my slide at all. On the other side of the equation, I have absolutely no problem with honest slide wear. If I am running a gun often and the wear is starting to get to me, then I'd just go and have it Cerakoted.

By the way, do not listen to the folks who say, "If you'll go with a pocket 380, you might as well go to a 9mm in that pocket." I carried a PM9 (also black diamond, BTW) in a pocket for awhile and was always struck by how the absolute smallest wonder-9 could feel so stinkin' big in my front jeans pocket. The CM9/PM9 is significantly larger than the P380, especially in a pocket. If deep cover is your desire, then the P380 is the gun to get.

If carrying it on your waist is the plan, then stay away from the P380 and go straight for a single-stack 9mm without passing Go and collecting $200. I see no real benefit in the P380 that don't get with a CW9/P9 (or Shield or G43 or CCP or XDs or...) and you get the negatives of an underpowered round and a teeny grip that is a bit hard to grasp. Even the G42 isn't really a pocket gun.

But the P380 veritably SHINES as a forever-carry never-take-it-off pocket gun that you wear when you don't or can't carry a gun.

By the way, do not listen to the folks who say, "If you'll go with a pocket 380, you might as well go to a 9mm in that pocket." I carried a PM9 (also black diamond, BTW) in a pocket for awhile and was always struck by how the absolute smallest wonder-9 could feel so stinkin' big in my front jeans pocket. The CM9/PM9 is significantly larger than the P380, especially in a pocket. If deep cover is your desire, then the P380 is the gun to get.

If carrying it on your waist is the plan, then stay away from the P380 and go straight for a single-stack 9mm without passing Go and collecting $200. I see no real benefit in the P380 that don't get with a CW9/P9 (or Shield or G43 or CCP or XDs or...) and you get the negatives of an underpowered round and a teeny grip that is a bit hard to grasp. Even the G42 isn't really a pocket gun.

But the P380 veritably SHINES as a forever-carry never-take-it-off pocket gun that you wear when you don't or can't carry a gun.

Great point!;)

OP, what do you plan as this guns primary purpose?

Slightly heavier but the specs are very close and it's a 9mm so way cheaper to shoot.

Love mine - dead reliable for 800 rounds (one stovepipe after running it dirty a lot).

SCCY CPX-1 or -2
Lifetime Warrenty;) and half the price:D.

image.png
image.png
image.png

image.png

Sorry if this was unwanted info and too much thread drift.

That's what I carry in a neoprene holster dropped into the cargo pocket of shorts or pants in the sunmer.

It also carries pretty well IWB.

(And tons of color options if that's your thing - I got mine used and it seems that few people who buy them sell them so it is rare to see a used one up for sale that I've seen)