JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I would like to get some feedback, opinions, good and bad on both the Kahr K-9 and the Sig P239 in 9mm. I am looking to use as a CCW and would like to hear from owners, past and present on which they prefer and why. Thanks.

I am a hammer fired guy all the way. The Sig decocker and 4 point safety system is one of the best. The 239 is a reliable and accurate handgun.

I am not knocking the Kahr, I just do not like a striker fired system.

At the end of the day, it is what feels best in your hand and you can shoot safely and accurately. Either one is a very good pistol.

That is my .02! :s0155:

They're really quite different pistols. Do you like strikers fired pistols or hammer fired. I have an MK9 slightly (smaller height and length than the K9) and a Sig P239 in .357. I like them both, but feel the P239 is a lot bigger than a 9mm needs to be. You could get both and try them out.:s0155:

I know what you mean, I have both, but would like to sell one. I've shot both striker and hammer fired pistols, and I like both of them. I see what you mean about the P239, the trigger guard is way bigger than it needs to be, compared to the K-9. I haven't shot either of mine, how does shooting the MK9 and P239 compare? Thanks Cyclesarge

I have them both. I love them both. I carry them both.

Like your two kids....who's your fav? Answer.....they both are, but for different reasons.

Which feels best in the hand? For me, the K9. Which carries the easiest? For me, without a doubt, the K9, especially IWB or AIWB. I gotta carry the Sig OWB regrettably. Which is the "simplest" in operation? About the same, with the edge to the K9. Which points most naturally? The K9 by a mile. Something about the higher bore-axis of the Sig that doesn't do it for me like all the Kahrs do. Which do I carry the most? The K9. Probably because it is thinner and smaller (but pretty much the same weight as the Sig) and comes up ready quicker.

Which is the most accurate? For me, the Sig, especially at distance and when sighting slowly and deliberately. At short range, I prefer the K9 as it is faster for me. Which is the most reliable? For me, probably the Sig, but not by much. Although I do trust the Sig a little more for some odd reason. Recoil and recovery? About the same in each case. Which would I pick if I knew I would use it that day to defend my life? Probably the Sig.

Evaluate each of those factors from your perspective.

Also evaluate the Kahr trigger. Some, like me, like it a lot more than the DA/SA thing of the Sig. (I don't know about Sig's DAO or DAK). But others never warm up to to the loooong Kahr trigger...even as smoooooth as it is. And some just hate it, bigtime. SA and 1911 fans don't normally care for it. For me, I like to think that I won't be popping a SA trigger prematurely due to the stress of a situation and that the K9 facilitates that better than the standard hard DA first pull followed by SA. Others, with better training than me, might want to get on with the deployment and don't want to needlessly waste milliseconds where a millisecond might really be squandered with a long trigger pull.

Also evaluate the striker/hammer and other mechanical and design differences, which have already been mentioned.

Both are superior pieces, at least in my book.

By the way, I have the K9, the PM 9 and the MK 9 and I have owned other Sigs as well. I much prefer the K9 overall for the reasons stated. But for summer pocket carry and the general ease of carrying a light piece that is reasonably easy to shoot, the PM cannot be beat as far as lightweight 9mm autos go. For the 9mm Sigs, I far prefer the 239 to the Sig double-stacks.

Thanks Natty Bumpo. Which kid do I like better depends some days:) That was very informative.:s0155: I haven't shot either one, but I've tried using a snap cap on the P239 and I like the way the trigger breaks, by the way I have the P239 tactical w/ (SRT short reset trigger). I have to shoot the K9 in order to "feel" the difference. Thanks again.

Given this choice, I would opt for the Kahr. I'm a big believer in the KISS principle. DAO fits that template. Yes, the trigger stroke is long, but all I have to do is point the gun and keep pulling. When I'm done, I don't have to operate a decocking lever. For me personally, the Sig presents the additional problem of having the decocking lever forward and the slide stop aft -- the opposite of most tradional DA pistols.

I carry either a Kahr P9 or an S&W 642. Compared to the Smith snubby, the Kahr's trigger is a delight. Both take practice to shoot well. I don't have to do additional drills to ensure that my "muscle memory" has retained the workings of the decocking system.

I know we have a lot of Kahr/Sig carrying members here, so chime in. What holsters would you recommend? I would like to carry IWB, I've seen tuckable versions, but can't quite figure out how that works. I have used Bladetechs, Galco's, Uncle Mikes, Don Hume on previous carry pieces.

I've owned Kahr's, but only handled a Sig P239. The K9 is an awesome feeling gun and shoots extremely well, where to me the Sig P239 feels weird in my hands.

If I did not carry my S&W 340PD most of the time, I would probably pick up a K9, P9 or P45 for carry.

I make leather holsters for use in pockets and some for belt, but IWB my preference is kydex. You can't go wrong with either Comp-tac or Sidearmor IMHO.

For a basic IWB holster I really like the Comp-tac Infidel, it can be equipped with a bunch of different attachments. <broken link removed>

If you want something else, the Minotaur is also very nice sort of like a Crossbreed holster. <broken link removed>

The first gun I bought specifically for carry was a P239 in 9mm. I chose it mostly because I love sigs. I eventually decided that the P239 is too big for what it is. You can get a double stack that really isn't that much bigger than the 239. I felt that if I was giving up capacity I should be getting a better return on size reduction.

So, I ended up replacing it with a MK9 and I couldn't be happier. I shoot well with it, It feels natural in my grip and I like the long smooth trigger.

As far as holsters go, I carry the Kahr in a galco iwb or a front pocket holster.

on a regular basis i carry a Kahr P9. i switch back and forth between a Mitch Rosen belt slide and an alessi IWB. they both a fantastic holsters and it just depends on how you usually dress as to what holster to use.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top