JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Kahr, HiViz Relocating in Protest of New Gun Control

:s0155:

Kahr Arms, New York-based manufacturer of compact self-defense handguns and parent company of prominent gun makers Auto-Ordnance and Magnum Research, has confirmed their intention to leave their home state following the passage of strict new gun control.

New York recently passed the SAFE act, a confusing, questionably-legal gun control package that has lead to massive protests, lawsuits and general upheaval across the state. It is also pushing industry out.

Kahr is preparing to relocate to Pike County, Penn. The company is looking to build a new manufacturing facility from the ground up, on a 620-acre business park.

The new location would also give Kahr the ability to expand and keep up with the current peaking demand for all things gun and gun-related.

"This land has a lot of woods. We have to clear the land and put in foundations. An operations manager will handle that and hire construction people," said Kahr spokesman Frank Harris to the Pocono Record.

"We were ready to sign a deal in rural Orange County, N.Y. But when the governor passed stricter gun control, it made it tough to continue on that path, so we jumped over the river," Harris said.

"New York has become very unfriendly to people in the gun business. We feel like we are being treated like criminals in New York. That is one of the reasons we are coming to Pennsylvania."

If all goes as planned they will break ground on new offices later this year and start relocating immediate. Some of the company's staff have already bought homes in Pennsylvania.

The company has signed contracts with the Business Development Corporation and the Pike County Economic Development Authority for construction permits at the new Pennsylvanian location.

Kahr is expected to bring about 100 permanent jobs to Pike County and quite a few more during construction and expansion. Kahr does not plan on moving their other facilities outside of New York.

Things are similar in Colorado where recent gun control laws have or will soon take effect. The governor signed several unpopular bills into law including mandatory background checks and magazine capacity limits, causing most of the state's big gun industry players to jump ship, including Magpul, the Outdoor Channel and now HiViz.

opplanet-hiviz-hk2211-g-hk-front-rear-combo-green-hk2211-g-mainHiViz announced their plan to relocate earlier this year to Wyoming, and now they've nailed down all the details of the move. HiViz makes high visibility sight systems for all types of firearms.

"After 17 years, we find ourselves at an interesting juncture of having to move and preparing for growth at the same time," said Philip Howe to the Star-Tribune.

The move from Ft. Collins, Colo. to Laramie, Wyo. isn't far on the map, but it sends a strong message to the legislators who promised that this gun control would be welcome with open arms.

"We have built our company on being honest, innovative and treating customers as we'd like to be treated," Howe continued. "Therefore, we have built a name which people trust in our industry."

The city of Laramie and the Laramie Economic Development Corp. have raised over $1.18 million in financial assistance and property to help HiViz locate to their new 20,000 square-foot location. HiVis hopes that they can raise $2.5 million from Wyoming Business Council for the construction of the new facility.

This is part of a growing trend for companies to vote with their feet. Yesterday PTR Industries, manufacturer of H&K-based rifles and pistols, announced that they were leaving Connecticut following their adoption of strict gun control laws. They will be moving to South Carolina.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad I bought a CW9. I say I'm glad because my money supported a good company. I need to improve my front sight... so if HiViz has a sight for my gun, I think I might get one (just the front sight).

The sad part it won't hurt the ultra rich liberals who control the politics in these states. It will hurt all the people who depend on the employees of the firearms and related industries to spend their paychecks in their stores, shops and businesses. Maybe next time they will vote differently.

The sad part it won't hurt the ultra rich liberals who control the politics in these states. It will hurt all the people who depend on the employees of the firearms and related industries to spend their paychecks in their stores, shops and businesses. Maybe next time they will vote differently.

Let's hope that will be the case, but judging from California's current state of affairs I would not be surprised if the "ruling class" continues the tyranny!!! Although the recall efforts in CO have surprised me so far!!

While not personally affected - I live in yUK most of the time - I have to applaud Kahr's brave decision to say F*** You to the legislators of its soon-to-be-former home. Mr Barrett started the ball rolling a few years ago when he moved from the state to the South of Oregon to a more gun-friendly 'burg, and others are now doing the same on the East side of the country. All it really needs is for one of the serious market shakers and movers to leave their no-longer-friendly-territory - Colt, fer'instance?

Back here in yUK in 1997, modern cartridge-firing handguns were banned in three of the four constituent elements of the UK. Only Northern Ireland told Westminster to piss up a rope, and not only has a thriving and legal modern handgun shooting community, but also has CCW for a goodly proportion of the country. Sadly, this is a left-over from the previous troubles in that part of the yUK, but 3000 or more folks feel safer because they legally carry a handgun there.

It might come as a surprise to learn that although there were only about 57,000 legal and law-abiding handgun shooters in the UK at the time of the ban, there were, nevertheless, upwards of a quarter of a million handguns in their possession. As a result of this underestimation of the funds needed, the govenment buy-back scheme and accessory compensation mavens had a genuine shock to discover - in the end - that the whole shebang had cost the tax-payer almost £500,000,000. Serious cash by any standards, to take away less guns than there are in Nagadoches County, Deep East Texas.

More serious - from a business POV - was the loss of many accessory makers for the then-thriving Police Pistol and IPSC clubs. My own club had about thirty of us involved in both of these shooting disciplines, and, typically, I used to shoot around 300-500 rounds of home-loaded .38Spec per week. That was a lot of lead from a local gun dealer, even you guys would agree. Add powder and primers, and you can see that he was always happy to see any of us walk through his door. Same for leather and all the duds that went along with this type of shooting, let alone the usually high-priced precision target pistol shooting that most of us indulged in. The yUK also had some world-class leather makers - mostly gone now. But not a one of the approximately 600 associated gun-trade businesses affected by the ban has ever received any form of compensation. The accumulated loss to the national GNP in the ten years since the ban, in VAT [a kind of sales tax at 20% of the value of the item] alone amounting to around £4.5 Billion. The long-term misery of the business owners has led to immense amounts of bitterness, particularly at election voting time. My first question to the prospective paliamentary candidate on my porch is 'Would you support the return of legally-held handguns for the law-abiding citizen?' A negative answer gets a positive response from me. Paraphrasing the hero of 'Gran Torino - it's 'Get off my porch!'

So you can see, if it wasn't already blindingly obvious, that crapping in the hat of ANY arms manufacturer in today's economic climate makes as much sense as sticking a soldering iron on your eye and switching it on.

tac, back from OR

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads