JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got a new Kahr CM45 about three weeks ago. Cleaned, lubed and off to the range I went.
I put 100 rounds (20 mags) thru it and unfortunately I had FTEs on the last bullet in 18 of the 20 mags shot. Very discouraging but I called Kahr and they asked to send gun back. I just received my gun back on Thursday. They reamed the barrel, reworked the extractor and extractor spring. I don't understand why they did not replace the extractor but anyway off to the range I went again. The first 70-75 rounds went off without a hitch but after that I started having intermittent FTEs again. I had 6 over the last 100 or so rounds. This is to be my new CCW so I am expecting 100% reliability. Is that to much to ask? Well anyway now to my question: I bought this gun thru Davidson's Guns so if this was your gun would you use the Davidson's warranty and have them send a new gun or should I give Kahr another chance to get it right?

Thanks
Dan

Kahrs have incredibly tight tolerances and can be very ammo sensitive. Because of that, even the most minor thing can gun things up. I'd venture a guess that the problem you're having now might not be the same as you were having before, since you were able to get 75 rounds off before the FTEs started. Since that's the case, you could simply be getting carbon buildup on the extractor claw that would get worse the more rounds you fire. At some point, it would result in the extractor not fully engaging the case rim, allowing it to slip off as the slide cycles. Clean it up and take it out again, being careful to take a brush to the extractor. When and if you get the first FTE, check the extractor to see if there's any buildup, clean it off, and start over. If that's the case, it should cycle freely again for a while before problems recur. The other thing is to try to find the cleanest burning ammo and test it with that. With the volume you're shooting, I'd guess you're using target ammo and not the self defense ammo you'll be carrying. Try it with the good stuff and see if the same problems occur. If that doesn't work, contact Davidson's. Their policy, as I recall. is for you to send the gun to them, not the factory. If they can't repair it, they'll send you a replacement gun. Good luck. I've had two Kahrs and both had initial quirks but ended up totally reliable and excellent carry weapons.

Kahrs have incredibly tight tolerances and can be very ammo sensitive. Because of that, even the most minor thing can gun things up. I'd venture a guess that the problem you're having now might not be the same as you were having before, since you were able to get 75 rounds off before the FTEs started. Since that's the case, you could simply be getting carbon buildup on the extractor claw that would get worse the more rounds you fire. At some point, it would result in the extractor not fully engaging the case rim, allowing it to slip off as the slide cycles. Clean it up and take it out again, being careful to take a brush to the extractor. When and if you get the first FTE, check the extractor to see if there's any buildup, clean it off, and start over. If that's the case, it should cycle freely again for a while before problems recur. The other thing is to try to find the cleanest burning ammo and test it with that. With the volume you're shooting, I'd guess you're using target ammo and not the self defense ammo you'll be carrying. Try it with the good stuff and see if the same problems occur. If that doesn't work, contact Davidson's. Their policy, as I recall. is for you to send the gun to them, not the factory. If they can't repair it, they'll send you a replacement gun. Good luck. I've had two Kahrs and both had initial quirks but ended up totally reliable and excellent carry weapons.
Great advise, thank you I appreciate the input.

Big cartridge little pistol. A 9mm would be a much better choice. I have a 9mm on my ccw [p9?] it works great and is accurate and easy to shoot. I shot a S@W Shield and was most impressed yet their price can make the pistol a bargain.

I have a lot of upscale guns, but I have a featherlight $250 SCCY CPX-2 10+1 9mm that's been completely reliable since the day I got it that I use as one of my primary carry weapons. It's combat accurate, feeds anything, and has never had a single FTF, FTE, or any other malfunction in hundreds of rounds. Lots of good guns out there these days.

I also own Kahr CW380 and CM9 which are great. The CM45 is brand new and I made the mistake of buying the first off the line which sometimes presents a problem as the bugs have not all been worked out.
Fortunately this one is a Davidson gun (lifetime replacement warranty) so I am just waiting for a new lot of cM45s to be build by Kahr and shipped to Davidson's and then I will return for a new one. Hopefully it will work out cause I love the gun. Sweet shooter in a small 45 and easy to carry. I have talked to many PM45 owners who love the gun so stay tuned.

Don't know about the 'C' series Kahrs. I currently carry a K9 IWB.
I've taken it to the range basic target shooting, point and shoot close quarter, lots of drills…
I've found what Synapsis said, after a few hundred rounds I get a powder residue build up and subsequently
an occasional FTF.
This happens on my Dan Wesson Valor as well. My opinion is that if it operates ok up to 10 or so mags, (100+ rounds), it's good enough for my personal defense.
Sure I'd like the perfect gun…but even my carpentry tools gum up after awhile if I don't clean them.
Will