JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hCZWGXlD3iCfhgnqbSiWGPvq7Zw&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg YTzmRmaHbRSsxxl_swPV5zvchJY&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

xCfNIjw5R1dD7QCLxL8JF2FB6GA&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Valuable Lesson: Always be sure that you're using the correct caliber ammunition for your gun.
This was a brand new 1911 chambered in 45ACP. The owner grabbed a handful of ammunition out of an ammo can and loaded his magazine. He didn't realize that there was a lone 40S&W cartridge mixed in with the 45ACP. The 40S&W was the last round loaded in the magazine so it was the first to be chambered. As 40S&W is smaller than 45ACP, it fell past the chamber and into the bore. Then a 45ACP was chambered and fired, which discharged the 40S&W lodged in the bore. The results were catastrophic for the gun. The owner is very lucky that he wasn't hurt.

It's a Kimber, so it should buff right out.

Probably will help with its reliability too!

:eek:

:p

Here is the story I found.

Valuable Lesson: Always be sure that you're using the correct caliber ammunition for your gun.

This was a brand new 1911 chambered in 45ACP. The owner grabbed a handful of ammunition out of an ammo can and loaded his magazine. He didn't realize that there was a lone 40S&W cartridge mixed in with the 45ACP. The 40S&W was the last round loaded in the magazine so it was the first to be chambered. As 40S&W is smaller than 45ACP, it fell past the chamber and into the bore. Then a 45ACP was chambered and fired, which discharged the 40S&W lodged in the bore. The results were catastrophic for the gun. The owner is very lucky that he wasn't hurt.

If the sequence of events leading to the KB is to be believed, chambering the first round lead to a click with no bang. The shooter then had to rack the slide and fire the next round.

This had to have happened during a training course of fire, right? Normally if I'm at the range plinking or practicing fundamentals, I check the chamber after a malfunction to diagnose the cause. A 40 cartridge rattling around in the chamber would be easy to detect.

Seems like there were a lot more failures than just loading the wrong ammo into the magazine that day.

Valuable Lesson: pay attention to what you're doing when handling potentially dangerous things like firearms, cars, power tools, etc, etc

If the sequence of events leading to the KB is to be believed, chambering the first round lead to a click with no bang. The shooter then had to rack the slide and fire the next round.

This had to have happened during a training course of fire, right? Normally if I'm at the range plinking or practicing fundamentals, I check the chamber after a malfunction to diagnose the cause. A 40 cartridge rattling around in the chamber would be easy to detect.

Seems like there were a lot more failures than just loading the wrong ammo into the magazine that day.

Valuable Lesson: pay attention to what you're doing when handling potentially dangerous things like firearms, cars, power tools, etc, etc
Valuable lesseon: use a 9mm.

lol

I remember long ago in Hunter's Ed....
The possibility of catastrophe by placing a 20 gauge shell into a 12 gauge gun by mistake.
It was said that the 20 gauge shell will lodge itself at the end of the chamber and then a 12 gauge shell can be loaded on top of it.

That would be loud.
And with lots of steel and wood shards flying around.

I remember long ago in Hunter's Ed....
The possibility of catastrophe by placing a 20 gauge shell into a 12 gauge gun by mistake.
It was said that the 20 gauge shell will lodge itself at the end of the chamber and then a 12 gauge shell can be loaded on top of it.

That would be loud.
And with lots of steel and wood shards flying around.
I have seen a gun that was the victim of exactly that. It bananaed out in about 3 big pieces. Looked a lot like Elmer's gun from the Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top