Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ka-Bars?

Discussion in 'Knives & Other Discussion' started by Will_Power, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Will_Power

Will_Power OR via OK Active Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking to pick up my first fixed blade knife for general preparedness (and SHTF) use and have decided to take a look at Ka-Bars. Good, long reputation for being tough as nails and plentiful, from what I've heard.

Trouble is, I don't know the first thing about where to buy and which one(s) to look for. There seems to be a lot of variety of Ka-Bar types out there (e.g. 1212, 1271, etc). All I know is that I need to stay away from stainless steel and than a synthetic grip's probably a good idea.

I could use your guys' knowledge here!

2. bt97006

bt97006 Aloha Member

3. Will_Power

Thanks for your reply!

What would you say the difference would be between the Becker Companion you've got and the Ka-Bar Bull Dozier?

4. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

I've got a few. Ka-Bar, Camilus, Ontario. All US issue fighting knives. They are good.

I usually get mine at the gunshow, but you can get them online on gunbroker.com, or lots of other online retailers. Also Andy and Bax in Portland has a decent sellection.

or:
    Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter

5. hatchetjack

hatchetjack Western WA Active Member

6. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

i'm no knife aficionado, but the Next Gen Kabar i bought about a decade ago has served me fine. it doesn't get used daily, or even close to it, but i was once quite the woodsman, and it got a lot of use for the first few years i had it. good utility/survival knife.

i got married, and my gallivanting ended, but it still gets used a week or two out of the year for buck season. sharpens up nicely, doesn't rust.. what more could i want?

7. The Somnambulist

The Somnambulist Portland Member

I would get the BK-7 over the Kabar. It has a full tang and a nice wide flat grind. I find the handle more comfy too.

8. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

kabar's full tang... anything that's not shoulldn't even be considered

9. Will_Power

Thanks for the suggestions / input, guys. I ended up going with the Ka-Bar Becker BK2 that bt reviewed. With any luck, I'll get it int he mail by this weekend!

10. bt97006

bt97006 Aloha Member

I think you will like it. I enjoy using mine.

11. noworkjustfish

noworkjustfish Battle Ground, WA Member

I love my Becker Campanion, can do anything with it. Indestructible!
    Sometimes it feels a bit large for some things but it I only had one knife that would be it.

12. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

I"ve been testing out the Gerber LMF II all summer. So far it's doing well. My only complaint is the weight of it. Should be called a HMF II (Heavy Mo Fo):laugh: