JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can someone give me quick rundown on Mitchell's Mausers? I remember hearing about how they should be avoided around a decade or so ago when I was looking for a K98k, but I never looked into them any more than that. From the way people would react so negatively to them around that time, I got the impression that they were taking non matching guns, scrubbing the numbers, and then "building" and refinishing "matching" rifles. Is that correct at all?
Yes, basically Russian capture guns that are refinished to look pretty. People poo poo them because they are not original collector fare, but then thousands of people buy RC guns and strip the shellac off to make them look more "realistic" so whatever.

Can someone give me quick rundown on Mitchell's Mausers? I remember hearing about how they should be avoided around a decade or so ago when I was looking for a K98k, but I never looked into them any more than that. From the way people would react so negatively to them around that time, I got the impression that they were taking non matching guns, scrubbing the numbers, and then "building" and refinishing "matching" rifles. Is that correct at all?
Very correct. Avoid.

Yes, basically Russian capture guns that are refinished to look pretty. People poo poo them because they are not original collector fare, but then thousands of people buy RC guns and strip the shellac off to make them look more "realistic" so whatever.
Those people don't apply fake numbers, waffenamts, etc like Mitchell's did. Stripping and refinishing an RC is silly, buying a MM is more silly.

This ATF reg. indicates that some surplus German WW2 stuff from Russia would be legal to import:

It outlines a ban of military firearms from former Soviet Union states, then says, "that is not one of the models listed below." The text lists a number of firearms, including P.08, P.38, P.35 Vis, K.98, etc. Effective date says, "3-26-19 to present." Meaning, the guns on the list ARE importable. Unless I'm reading it wrong.
While you are "technically" correct they are importable under the letter of the law, there is a de facto agreement in .place that they will not import them into the states . This goes back to Baby Bush .

While you are "technically" correct they are importable under the letter of the law, there is a de facto agreement in .place that they will not import them into the states . This goes back to Baby Bush .
Some of this stuff is changing as we speak. About the only thing our government can think to do in an attempt to bring Putin to heel are economic sanctions. Like recent announcements that the State Dept. now has a policy of denying import permits for ammo from Russia. These are administrative moves, not based on published law.

Those people don't apply fake numbers, waffenamts, etc like Mitchell's did. Stripping and refinishing an RC is silly, buying a MM is more silly.
I never heard of mitchells having fake waffenampts. Force matched? Abso-freakin' lutely- which sucks. What Mitchell's did was wrong and deceptive. But I will say, if you can find one for $700 or under, they make great shooters.

I never heard of mitchells having fake waffenampts. Force matched? Abso-freakin' lutely- which sucks. What Mitchell's did was wrong and deceptive. But I will say, if you can find one for $700 or under, they make great shooters.
Heck I'd buy one for that. I was on a prominent k98 forum and they had documentation of faked waffenamts or what the historian believed to be fake. They could've been applied by somebody other than Mitchell's but it was on an MM.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top