JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all, I'm looking at some point trying to get a K98. However given how prices are currently I'm only really interested in a shooter K98 and not so much a full matching collectors piece. What would you guys say would be a good price for a shooter K98 be it from Mitchell's (yes I'm aware of the stigma), captured, scrubbed, or original?

A few months ago, I sold a well-used Czech VZ24 on Gunbroker for $300. It was made under the early German occupation. It wasn't a K98 but in the same ball park as a shooter.

P5010857.JPG P5010858.JPG

One thing to remember about military rifle and matching...is that many rifles got over hauled...and when put back together...is was more important that it worked...than that it matched.

Also in the days of bolt action rifles...when securing a rifle on the battlefield...often the rifle went one way and the bolt another.

In any event...
I would guess that a good shooter grade 98K would go for around $700 on up depending on :
Maker , year , condition and surviving markings.
Andy

A few months ago, I sold a well-used Czech VZ24 on Gunbroker for $300. It was made under the early German occupation. It wasn't a K98 but in the same ball park as a shooter.

View attachment 984882 View attachment 984883

One thing to remember about military rifle and matching...is that many rifles got over hauled...and when put back together...is was more important that it worked...than that it matched.

Also in the days of bolt action rifles...when securing a rifle on the battlefield...often the rifle went one way and the bolt another.

In any event...
I would guess that a good shooter grade 98K would go for around $700 on up depending on :
Maker , year , condition and surviving markings.
Andy
Yeah a VZ 24 is on my list, I have a 24/47 and a Spanish M44 but I do want a k98 at some point but sub 1k all I can find are MM, RC, or the odd lucky auction.

Yeah a VZ 24 is on my list, I have a 24/47 and a Spanish M44 but I do want a k98 at some point but sub 1k all I can find are MM, RC,
I've owned many German-made Mausers over the years. The Czech VZ24 recently sold was one I kept the longest. It came later to my experience. What I found was that the Czech product was in some ways better made than the German. One has to compare like for like, that is, when made, as quality deteriorated down through the years of production due to increased haste in manufacturing. But I would favorably stand a run-of-the-mill 1939 VZ24 up against a 1939 German-made Mauser any time.

An interesting twist on the VZ24 is this. Not long after taking over CZ rifle plants, the Germans kept the 24 in production for a while as the G.24(t), with typical German stock furniture. These are now rather tough to find and expensive when found.

As to the Russian Capture K.98's. I wouldn't denigrate them. As an artifact of history, there can be no denying that they saw actual service on the Eastern Front. Unlike the many late-issue USGI bring-backs. More historical interest than a rifle that was used to guard a German post office, or stayed in an air force rack in France for four years. Just saying, as examples. That RC rifle was in the mud and the blood. I don't have one, but I kept an RC Walther P.38 for this reason.

Mitchell's have become collectible for being Mitchell's. If you were looking for a shooter Russian captures are outstanding because they have been run through the arsenal have been head space checked and usually have decent barrels. The Mitchell's rifles are aesthetically built to a certain level but not as scrutinized as a Russian arsenal redo. You should be able to find a Russian capture K98 in the $600 range and I believe the Mitchell's are now over that. I have seen fine German K98's that are non-sniper versions well over $2000.

Last Edited:
Mitchell's have become collectible for being Mitchell's. If you were looking for a shooter Russian captures are outstanding because they have been run through the arsenal have been head space checked and usually have decent barrels. The Mitchell's rifles are aesthetically built to a certain level but not as scrutinized as a Russian arsenal redo. You should be able to find a Russian capture K98 in the $600 range and I believe the Mitchell's are now over that. I have seen find German K98's that are non-sniper versions well over $2000.
Yeah the cheapest Mitchell I have seen lately is 700.

Vz24s are very well made at half the price of K98s. The Germans used a lot of Czech equipment during the war including tanks and small arms. Also the Romanian army used the Vz24 at Stalingrad. Most Vz24 are pretty beat up so you have to really do your homework. I'm still in the market for a good one.

The Yugo Mausers use an intermediate action, post-war build. Many are in excellent condition. These are less interesting from a history standpoint. They are highly affordable though.

RC K98s are now in the high 800s to start. There is a whole community of people who collects these and trades parts to make parts correct guns. As shooters they are excellent. With match ammo I am able to get comparable results to a K31 or an M39 Finn.

For what it's worth I have an RC Mauser and also a Western front capture (matching). They shoot very comparable groups. So I'm not really buying Mauser snobbery. Quality of ammunition and trigger control are still the most important thing.

You should be able to find a Russian capture K98 in the $600 range and I believe the Mitchell's are now over that. I have seen fine German K98's that are non-sniper versions well over $2000.
I would love to find a decent RC K98 for $600 or so. I just haven't seen any for less than $700 these days. Granted, I'm not sure that was the final selling price but just what I have seen.

This ATF reg. indicates that some surplus German WW2 stuff from Russia would be legal to import:

It outlines a ban of military firearms from former Soviet Union states, then says, "that is not one of the models listed below." The text lists a number of firearms, including P.08, P.38, P.35 Vis, K.98, etc. Effective date says, "3-26-19 to present." Meaning, the guns on the list ARE importable. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

Can someone give me quick rundown on Mitchell's Mausers? I remember hearing about how they should be avoided around a decade or so ago when I was looking for a K98k, but I never looked into them any more than that. From the way people would react so negatively to them around that time, I got the impression that they were taking non matching guns, scrubbing the numbers, and then "building" and refinishing "matching" rifles. Is that correct at all?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top