JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah thanks to y'all loving on them I bought one. I gotta say when people say its the pinnacle of bolt action design they ain't lying. I agree with @MountainBear that My P-14 has better sights but I can't deny the results that thing shoots where you point it pretty much every time. I was actually surprised by how much kick it did have. That 7.5x55 is a STOUT round and from a light little karbine with a beech stock you feel it. Going between them I say it had more than my 1903, my P14 or my long branch. It was comparable to the M44.

Yeah thanks to y'all loving on them I bought one. I gotta say when people say its the pinnacle of bolt action design they ain't lying. I agree with @MountainBear that My P-14 has better sights but I can't deny the results that thing shoots where you point it pretty much every time. I was actually surprised by how much kick it did have. That 7.5x55 is a STOUT round and from a light little karbine with a beech stock you feel it. Going between them I say it had more than my 1903, my P14 or my long branch. It was comparable to the M44.

A 174gr bullet making 2650 fps from a bolt-action firearm IS going to smart a bit.

FWIW, I knew a father-son team that used the Swiss rifles for deer and elk hunting here in Colorado.. they swore by them and had the racks to prove it. I think they were a bit surprised that I knew what their rifles were- apparently most don't... Anyway as surplus rifles go the Swiss are only equaled by the Swedish Mausers- which are my personal preference- just cuz Ive been a Mauser guy from childhood.. neither the Swiss nor the Swedes used their firearms in wartime and they kept on top of the "upkeep"... many of the war-time guns of the belligerent powers got :eek:shagged pretty hard..

^^^I noticed they offer a 100 yard front sight replacement for $15. What is the stock zero for the K31, using factory irons, and the ladder set at 1? Is it 100m? Is that a center mass hold, or a lollipop hold?

There is NO stock height. The appropriate foresight element is fitted by the armourer in the initial sighting-in.

See -

aiming.jpg

It's with the sight range set at 100 or 200 meters, bulls-eye aiming at these distances and 6 o'clock black aiming at 300 meters and further.

Non-approved alterations to sights are prohibited in Switzerland and the standard size for a military K31 is 1.8mm wide front and rear.

seniors.jpg

Eyesight sure plays a role, for old eyes there were 3 wider front blades and one wider rear leaf available, these were the so-called "Altersvisierung" and made by W+F.

blades1.jpg

This makes that there do exist quite a number of front sight blade width variants and each width comes in five heights as the above picture with all the specific markings shows.

A diopter or shooting glasses with an integrated variable iris (Lyman) may be of help for people that have problems focussing the front and/or rear sights.

In summary, the Swiss do not shoot at 100 or 200, but only at 300m - the battle-sight setting. All shooting is done initially at this range to take into account the eventual need to shoot further than 300m, of course. If you know anybody in a Swiss shooting club, they can give/sell you a typical Swiss military target that they are required by Swiss law to shoot at every year, even if they are ex-pats, between the ages of 18 and 42. Obviously they will also be trained soldiers - there are no females in the Swiss military.

Thank you @tac , you are an expert on the Swiss rifles. This is all very useful and fascinating information.

Center Mass/Bullseye hold is perfect for 100/200 meters, as you can still see a small target clearly at those distances.

FYI:

For those whom want factory loaded ammo, for whatever reason, mayhaps an extra stash of some, or to fireform etc.

SGammo just got in some PPU 174gr FMJ. Had been out for a bit.

At $.70/rd (plus reasonable shipping), decent deal with good brass.

He's had the 174gr softpoints in stock all along (this go around) at the same price.

Has single boxes, and multiples thereof at a touch higher price point. $.75/rd (plus shipping).

@Camelfilter How is the PPU stuff compared to the GP11?

I've had mixed luck with PPU. For example, the .308 HPBT Match is awesome, but others, like the 8mm Mauser are inaccurate underpowered dog poop.
That's been my experience with it as well, some stuff is pretty good, while some is Meh!:eek:
I guess you try a box or two if you can find it locally and see if it runs well, and if it does, do like me and go back and buy it all up, especially if its hard to find stuff!
:s0090:

Although you can certainly re-use the excellent PPU brass to roll your own, there really is NO comparison between PPU and any year GP11. Those of us who shoot the Swiss stuff form many years - I began in 1963 - believe that GP11 is the very finest military ammunition ever made, anywhere, at any time. It is simply 'match-grade', mass-produced.

Many others have done it before me, but I chrono'ed both side-by-side using our LabRadar chrono, and found that the GP11 from my K31 had a mean average velocity of 2648 fps. The stated factory velocity figure is 2650 fps, which, for a 174gr bullet, is quite impressive. Having said that, the lowest was 2648 fps, and the highest was 2652 fps, for ten shots at 70F.

The PPU stuff had a much wider spread of velocities, varying from a low of 2430 fps to a high of 2477 fps, out of the same box.

Sure, it'll get you on the target, but....................

THIS is twenty rounds of GP11 @100m from my 1954 K31.

1566498608155.png

Although you can certainly re-use the excellent PPU brass to roll your own, there really is NO comparison between PPU and any year GP11. Those of us who shoot the Swiss stuff form many years - I began in 1963 - believe that GP11 is the very finest military ammunition ever made, anywhere, at any time. It is simply 'match-grade', mass-produced.

Many others have done it before me, but I chrono'ed both side-by-side using our LabRadar chrono, and found that the GP11 from my K31 had a mean average velocity of 2648 fps. The stated factory velocity figure is 2650 fps, which, for a 174gr bullet, is quite impressive. Having said that, the lowest was 2648 fps, and the highest was 2652 fps, for ten shots at 70F.

The PPU stuff had a much wider spread of velocities, varying from a low of 2430 fps to a high of 2477 fps, out of the same box.

Sure, it'll get you on the target, but....................

THIS is twenty rounds of GP11 @100m from my 1954 K31.

View attachment 610691
GP11 is the cleanest ammo I have ever used.

@Camelfilter How is the PPU stuff compared to the GP11?

I've had mixed luck with PPU. For example, the .308 HPBT Match is awesome, but others, like the 8mm Mauser are inaccurate underpowered dog poop.

Haven't had the K31 for very long.

No idea on comparison between it and GP11, however as mentioned it would likely be darned difficult to match (without reloading for your specific rifle).

Have shot some of the soft point PPU for fun tho, does pretty decent out of my rifle. Didn't measure or anything, having fun. Just wanted some pew pew & collecting some more brass for when I do reload for it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top