JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You MIGHT just get one with a troop tag - under the butt-plate, gives details of the soldier and his unit and home address. Many folks over the years have made contact with the previous owner, or his descendants. On www.swissrifles.com we have a 'letter to the owner' in all three commonly used-languages in Switzerland.

Right now, although there is a LOT of GP11 coming into the USA @$479 + shipping for a 480 battle-pack, there will always be a lot more 6.5x55 ammunition around.

If you want to get a Husqvarna Arsenal-marked m/38 then it will probably not have the mana of a converted m/96.

And no m/38 or m/96 will ever shoot like a K31 in good condition, like one from Simpsons, fer'instance. No list of goodies for the Swedes, either, if that matters. I have an m/96 as well - it's a good shooter with reloads.

Supta you.

Actually, noobs is looking at a fairly nice m94/14 with bayonet. He's newer to this game and I gently reminded him that his collection, which is rounding out nicely, does not have a Mauser yet (other than the 1903).
Swede first, K31 second...;)

Good timing, Classic Firearms just got in a shipment of Swiss rifles.
I heard that but when I went there they were already sold out. I found a couple surplus site that still have them from 500-1000 with a lot around 750. I love the Swede but after seeing the Swiss pioneer bayonet I may be hooked on the k31...

I heard that but when I went there they were already sold out. I found a couple surplus site that still have them from 500-1000 with a lot around 750. I love the Swede but after seeing the Swiss pioneer bayonet I may be hooked on the k31...

Oh really? Wow, that was fast.. I think they were $699 + shipping.

That's the thing with all those WWII/Cold War era rifles, once they're gone, they're gone for good.

The K31 has been around since 1932 until 1957-ish.

The predecessor infantry rifle, the Schmidt-Rubin in GP11-shooting format, was around since 1900. My K11, with its four-digit serial, is a converted Model of 1900 rifle. It was re-arsenal'ed in 1936 - the '36' you can see there, and sold off, perhaps to the person to whom it had been issued, as you can see from the 'remote' P stamp.

upload_2019-3-27_15-41-32.png

Thoughts on K11 vs K31? The 11 looks much easier to get (both long rifle and carbine versions) and is a few hundred dollars less). The big thing for me is: can it mount the drawback bayonet???

The K31, being a lot more modern, is more accurate - mostly. The K11 is the carbine version of the Gewehr 1900, almost 6 inches longer and felt by some, including me, to feel a 'sweeter' shooter. With iron sights it obviously seems to have a longer sight radius by comparison with the shorter K31. The difference in truth is marginal, as the shorter bolt of the K31 makes for a barrel almost two inches longer than that of the K11, and just about the same as the Model 1900, given that it's smaller in dimensions.

The Pioneer pattern bayonet, called the Saeblebayonett, will only fit on the K11. They are usually $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Top - Krico Model 650SS
Centre - K11
Bottom - K31

upload_2019-3-27_17-58-48.png

Note the relative locations of the rear sight. One very interesting feature of the K31 is the staggered finger groove cuts. The left-hand groove actually 'leads' the right-hand groove by a couple of inches, just the same way the when you hold an imaginary rifle right-handed, your thumb will 'lead' your finger position.

Lookkit these side views to grasp my meaning -

upload_2019-3-27_18-4-19.png
upload_2019-3-27_18-4-57.png

Pretty cool, eh, for a bunch of chocolate and clock-makers?

BTW, blokeontherange, an ex-pat Brit and his pal, chapontherange, are a Youtube source of great enjoyment for us Swiss shooters. And not just for Swiss schtuff, either.

I have 2, one in 7.5x55 & one in 308 both appear factory to me so maybe some were done in 308 to use NATO ammo I don't know but both look new & shoot great.

The K 31 is a top-quality gun. It feels kind of strange like a pop more than a big recoil. The GP11 ammo is match quality and very very clean with no smoke. Condition should be your primary goal when looking for one then if you want the Beachwood or the earlier darker walnut stock or whatever they used. The changeover was at the end of WW2. I have a 1951 in mint condition other than the boot cleaning damage at the end of the stock. It's a very different gun from all others but I think it shoots the best. The action feels like it was designed to take methodical long distance shots as opposed to the quick cycling of an Enfield.
PS: Length of pull is very short like an Arisaka. Those watchmakers must've been short.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads