JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Was it a YouTube type or a real trainer? I've never heard anybody reputable advocate NOT carrying a round in the chamber unless your gun is functionally unsafe with a loaded chamber. Think super old school revolvers.

Just wondering about the actual law, someone in a bersa firearms ground on Facebook from oreOre swore up and down that there was. And when I told the person that I haven't come across any such law yet and gave a first hand report with a local grants pass police officer. He hasn't replied yet. Just wanted to double-check myself.

My buddy had a 38 put to his head for trying to date this chick. He reported the incident to the cops, the responding officer said there wasn't anything he could do. Grants pass police department is as lazy as they come. I am friends with a former detective. He left the city because they ordered him to stand down on a identity theft case.

Portland, Beaverton, Tigard and a few other cities ban 'open carry' with a 'loaded' firearm. This restriction does not apply to anyone with a valid CHL.

"Firearms may be openly carried in cars without any license except where localities have made open carry illegal; however, an Oregon concealed handgun permit holder is exempt from all local open carry bans. To our knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places."
quoted
from
Opencarry.org

o_O
Go HOT! Whats the point otherwise?!

Last Edited:
There is absolutely no state law against carrying with a round in the chamber. In fact most of the statutes found in ORS Section 166 apply equally to firearms "loaded or unloaded", making no differentiation.

And .... regarding what the state considers to be a "loaded" firearm; note that the statutes does not require round in the chamber to be considered loaded:

ORS 166.360 (6)
"Loaded firearm" means:

(a) A breech-loading firearm in which there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in or attached to the firearm including but not limited to, in a chamber, magazine or clip which is attached to the firearm.

(b) A muzzle-loading firearm which is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball, shot or projectile in the barrel or cylinder.

Most they can get you for is brandishing
Just wondering about the actual law, someone in a bersa firearms ground on Facebook from oreOre swore up and down that there was. And when I told the person that I haven't come across any such law yet and gave a first hand report with a local grants pass police officer. He hasn't replied yet. Just wanted to double-check myself.

Last Edited:
There is absolutely no state law against carrying with a round in the chamber. In fact most of the statutes found in ORS Section 166 apply equally to firearms "loaded or unloaded", making no differentiation.

And .... regarding what the state considers to be a "loaded" firearm; note that the statutes does not require round in the chamber to be considered loaded:

ORS 166.360 (6)
"Loaded firearm" means:

(a) A breech-loading firearm in which there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in or attached to the firearm including but not limited to, in a chamber, magazine or clip which is attached to the firearm.

(b) A muzzle-loading firearm which is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball, shot or projectile in the barrel or cylinder.

spot on! Know your laws, and it will leave a cop speechless and powerless. the only thing the cops can charge you with is an infraction of municipal code.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top