JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I didn't know that there were any clones/copies of the Marlin 39A

And yet, there it is, and has been for some years.

With an MSRP of $809, it can wait for many more years. I have found Chiappa to be made very inexpensively & not worth their asking price in the past

I didn't know that there were any clones/copies of the Marlin 39A
There's not.

The Chiappa may have some vague similarities to a Mod 39 but it's hardly a 'clone' OR a copy.

39.JPG

Seems like there are many more worthy lever action guns available

Interesting indeed. It's a shame it's just coatings and not real stainless. If that was stainless with a synthetic stock (instead of coated wood), I'd have ordered one the instant I found it. I love a good 22 lever action and love the utility of a stainless/synthetic gun (I know not everyone agrees) and while a 9422 in such a configuration would be the absolute perfect setup, any 22 lever action setup that way would be nearly impossible for me to resist. Maybe there is a clone out there somewhere that would have such features.

Thanks for the post OP! You might have just cost me money. Hah!

I have a BL22 in fair condition I paid an affordable price for (so I won't mind using it as a truck gun), but I would like a stainless takedown with a 16-18" barrel (preferably octagon).

The Chiappa seems to come close to that.

Unfortunately nobody seems to make a rubber overmould stock for lever actions? So having the tactile rubber like coating seems as close as I could get? I've never handled a Chiappa lever action, so I don't know about the quality.

Henry has some interesting lever action .22 rimfire rifles and pistols (Mare's Legs), but I wasn't particularly impressed by the one I handled in BiMart.

Which model of Henry did you handle and what didn't impress you?
As I recall, it was a std .22 LR/L/S tube feed rifle (not a carbine).

The action seemed gritty and cheap to me - compared to a Marlin, Win or Browning. Yes, I know these are a step up from a Henry, but still...

It's been some years - maybe 5, but that was my impression at the time.

I have a BL22 in fair condition I paid an affordable price for (so I won't mind using it as a truck gun), but I would like a stainless takedown with a 16-18" barrel (preferably octagon).

Unfortunately nobody seems to make a rubber overmould stock for lever actions? So having the tactile rubber like coating seems as close as I could get? I've never handled a Chiappa lever action, so I don't know about the quality.

Henry has some interesting lever action .22 rimfire rifles and pistols (Mare's Legs), but I wasn't particularly impressed by the one I handled in BiMart.
Save some money & buy this, only $380:

The action seemed gritty and cheap to me
Well, it's been awhile since I've looked at (or shot) a Henry .22 however they USED to be pretty smooth and fairly well made - in spite of being made out of ZAMAK - but that was one reason they were so smooth.

Unfortunately I am reading about more dissatisfaction with Henry these days and on another forum a guy posted a horror story about his, and his experiences with their customer service. Actually his experience with that part was OK but he was pretty dissatisfied with the results of the repairs to his rifle (a .357 BB if I recall)

I bought mine (.357 BB) while they were still kind of 'limited' with their models and was (and still am) very satisfied with it but I still maintain they spread themselves out way too thin with all the models and designs they came out with.

There's not.

The Chiappa may have some vague similarities to a Mod 39 but it's hardly a 'clone' OR a copy.

View attachment 1184282
This x 1,000!

Thank you.

There is NO way that the C. rifle is a clone or copy of a Marlin 39A rifle!

RVT, you may or may not remember that we had 2 Made in CT Marlin Golden 39A rifles in the past here in our home.

We had pictures of several of our firearms on that one M. forum in the past. Several rifles and several s/a revolvers and they were taken at our range here in MT. We did not take all of them to our range but we took several of them and shared them on that forum.

I do NOT know jack squat about the C. brand. I do remember 'reading' the name online if my memory serves me right. CRS sometimes! LOL

I am NOT knocking them, C. brand, or promoting them since I have NO clue about the brand name and I never knew a person OFFLINE who owned one in that BRAND back east or out west.

I do know that the former Browning BL 22 that came with the better walnut wood and the golden trigger (A specific model and grade of walnut.) and the former Winchester 94-22 of mine that I bought back east, NIB, and moved out west with were sweet rifles. Plus the 2 MADE IN CT Marlin Golden 39A rifles that were bought NIB out here.

QUALITY made and sweet rifles. Tack drivers!

My husband and I do not own ANY lever action rifles in any brand in 22lr now too.

He does still own his MADE IN CT Marlin lever action rifles in 30-30 Win and in 45-70. ALL of the other RF and CF lever action rifles are gone.

He owns MORE bolt action rifles in RF as you know too.

By the way, that is a VERY good picture of your rifle. Thanks for sharing.

Cate

Your BL 22 rifle will do the job if you continue to take care of it.

It can be a truck gun or not. Your choice.

Cate

Well, it's been awhile since I've looked at (or shot) a Henry .22 however they USED to be pretty smooth and fairly well made - in spite of being made out of ZAMAK - but that was one reason they were so smooth.

Unfortunately I am reading about more dissatisfaction with Henry these days and on another forum a guy posted a horror story about his, and his experiences with their customer service. Actually his experience with that part was OK but he was pretty dissatisfied with the results of the repairs to his rifle (a .357 BB if I recall)

I bought mine (.357 BB) while they were still kind of 'limited' with their models and was (and still am) very satisfied with it but I still maintain they spread themselves out way too thin with all the models and designs they came out with.
^^^

What he said again! Thank you.

What happened to HENRY, in my opinion, was that they tried to come out with too many MODELS too quickly and if you remember way back when, I told you that too.

So we agreed there and most likely we agree now.

I don't follow or read/post on that one place as you know. The only thing that I did read on there was about a move. Nothing GUN related.

I do NOT know what is true or not when it comes to the quality of any of their firearms NOW as of TODAY especially since the FLU crapola.

I do know what I owned and what my MT husband owned.

I have read that some guys on here bought their Henry rifles and that they were pleased with their choices. NO issues on their models. That IS good news to hear!

I do KNOW that the ones that WE previously owned and bought NIB, all special ordered, were very NICE RIFLES. Old discussions online and offline in the past.

We owned the following rifles in the HENRY brand name:

One sweet Classic RF carbine with the large loop for winter gloves - it was fine and I usually did not and do NOT like large loops but I did like it with my winter shooting gloves on.

Two sweet Golden Boys in 22lr and 22wmr.

One sweet 357Magnum Big Boy Classic - walnut/brass like yours.

One sweet 30-30 Win. tube fed - walnut/blued - NO brass.

One sweet 45-70 Government tube fed - walnut/blued - NO brass.

ALL of them were very NICE rifles and we had NO issues. ALL of them were special ordered from 2 favorite dealers.

Tack drivers, beautiful walnut wood, smooth actions like butter, good final finish, good FIT or we would NOT have accepted them at all, etc.

Mr. Anthony I. not only replied to ME, he sent us a box of goodies and he helped my dealer in RONAN get a rifle sent to his store for us. That OLD Ronan, MT business finally shut down with the owner's retirement.

I personally do NOT like the Mare's Leg in LOOKS. They do not interest me at all. To each their own.

I do NOT like some of their designs that they are doing now when it comes to LOOKS too. But I figure to each their own.

I ABSOLUTELY do think that HENRY tried to expand their models too quickly and they made TOO MANY CHOICES in some of their RF and CF rifles and maybe in their shotguns too. So if they are running into some problems now (?) or in the PAST (?) - that may be ONE top one! I think that they did have some recalls and someone posted it on THIS forum too.

What we formerly owned in their PRODUCTS were outstanding rifles. NO complaints or issues.

IF I still shot heavier rifles and in CF calibers and so forth... some of them may still be here.

Do they compare EXACTLY to the former NIB Browning BL22 in my one specific model or to the former NIB Winchester 94-22 bought back east by me and brought out west? Circa late 90's to 2001 bought.

NO.

Do they compare EXACTLY to the former 2 NIB Marlin Golden 39A - Made in CT rifles bought out here in MT?

NO.

With that said, I did HOLD the HENRY RIFLES that we previously owned in VERY HIGH REGARD and at that time frame - I would suggest them to ANY PERSON who was interested in them too. And I have suggested them to people on THIS FORUM since I have been a member here.

I do NOT know what they are NOW when it comes to all of the things that most of us look for BEFORE we would accept them as a product.

I ONLY know what I have read on and off is that in SOME of their products - they have declined which IS a crying shame since they could have AVOIDED THIS if they did NOT choose to expand so quickly and with all of their newer models and choices.

MY theory is this - use the KISS METHOD. Keep it simple stupid.

I would STILL as of TODAY suggest specific RF rifles in:

Browning BL 22
Winchester 94-22
Marlin Golden 39A - MADE IN CT ones.
Henry Classic 22lr carbine since I was pleased with it as I stated.
Henry Golden Boys in 22lr and 22wmr.

That one Stevens Favorite made by Savage in 22lr that I owned.

The 2 Savage Rascals - bolt action - single shot rifles that we gifted to our range.

The CZ RF bolt action rifles with IRON SIGHTS! (22lr and 22wmr.)

~~~

Side note:

I do hope that RUGER uses the KISS METHOD when they continue to make the MARLIN RIFLES and make them in the CLASSICS as I stated from the gitgo a long time ago on here and elsewhere OFFLINE. This is when RUGER stated that they were going to buy Remington and make MARLIN rifles.

My opinion and NO offense to any person since we all have INDIVDUAL TASTES and preferences.

NO tactical - no tacticool crapola on a LEVER ACTION RIFLE.

1. Make a CLASSIC Marlin 336C in nice walnut and blued steel in 30-30 Win.

2. Make a CLASSIC Marlin Golden 39A in nice walnut and blued steel. That IS a classic RF rifle!

3. Make a CLASSIC Marlin 1895 (45-70 Government.) in nice walnut and blued steel.

4. When they GET those FAMOUS CLASSIC RIFLES made - they should make a walnut and stainless steel model like my husband's rifle that he still owns in a Model 336SS - 30-30 Win.

5. And from there make one in walnut and stainless steel like his former Made in CT 45-70 Guide Gun.

Cate

Last Edited:
RVT,

Again with THIS very specific POINT that you made - I agree with you.

It has been awhile since I shot a Henry rifle too.

Plus I have not looked at one recently in RF or in CF (357Magnum.) and we do not own any Henry rifles now since we have downsized.

With that said, I have NEVER ever shot or owned any HENRY rifle that did NOT have a smooth BUTTER LIKE action.

They ALWAYS had smooth, slick, and buttery like ACTIONS in the RF and CF ones what we shot and owned.

Our friends over by Livingston had several Henry RF rifles and BEFORE we bought one NIB RF Henry rifle, I shot their rifles. My husband shot them too. They wanted us to try them out since we had never shot or owned the Henry brand.

They owned the Classic Golden Boys in 22lr and the Classic plain one in 22lr with NO large loop. They were up here for one of our shooting events at the time.

They really liked their Henry rifles from the gitgo. They did own other top brand names too.

The Marine - Nam Vet started to get really BAD arthritis which was much worse than mine was at the time. So did the other man - USN - Nam Vet. His health went downhill worse with his hands and body.

The one man had already started to downsize all of his firearms BIG TIME and was even shooting MUCH MORE in 22lr handguns from a to z too!

They were VERY strong and tall men when they were younger too. Anyway, they went downhill with the big A.

They were outstanding shooters the last time that all of us shot together too.

Cate

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews