JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yea click bait….

Sorta.

Decided to use a gift card on a Cold Steel 4-Max (the cheap one, not the $500 Elite with the precious metals).

But still same knife and I'll cry less if I can somehow break the thing.

Anyway, wanted a crowbar for work and have XXL hands so this seemed like a good deal for when I have gloves on. Unless you have massive hands and/or use gloves and want a folder you can manipulate I would not recommend this. It would double as a survival knife and if that's what you want (even though the lock is rated for 600#'s) I'd just get a fixed blade.

Oh, and needless to say but I will anyway - it's heavy as shlit.

4-Max vs a 3" lower end Kershaw

Enjoy :D

8DDEF46E-9A05-422E-B779-90969D888E29.jpeg 40BECE90-1E29-47E9-A04E-4948AF00B457.jpeg

Cold steel is always an excellent value for low priced, but solid knives
I have bought many of their knives over many years. I have always been super happy with what I get for what I pay. I have managed to lose a few and break a few by abusing them. It takes a lot to do one in though so well worth the price to me. At least when I lose one its a no cry just order a couple more kind of thing.

Yea click bait….

Sorta.

Decided to use a gift card on a Cold Steel 4-Max (the cheap one, not the $500 Elite with the precious metals).

But still same knife and I'll cry less if I can somehow break the thing.

Anyway, wanted a crowbar for work and have XXL hands so this seemed like a good deal for when I have gloves on. Unless you have massive hands and/or use gloves and want a folder you can manipulate I would not recommend this. It would double as a survival knife and if that's what you want (even though the lock is rated for 600#'s) I'd just get a fixed blade.

Oh, and needless to say but I will anyway - it's heavy as shlit.

4-Max vs a 3" lower end Kershaw

Enjoy :D

View attachment 1391303 View attachment 1391304
I see that Joe has been shopping again at the Big & Tall Shaved Down Sasquatch Store…..

:D

As so often happens I keep looking at something here and soon am buying :D

One of my EDC knives is screwing up and getting tired of having to fix it. Looking at the Cold Steel saw a Luzon and really likes the looks so have one on the way. If it feels as good as it seem to look will buy another or two so I can retire the one's that keep screwing up (not Cold Steel brand) to the point I don't want to trust them any more. Had points from one of the cards to use so knife is free to me anyway so why not. :D

If you want a cold steel knife, you should just look at the gun shows for the table with the weird sparkly trinkets. You can find it right next to the jerky and around the corner from hand made leather purses

Something about a nice knife that draws like a magnet. Bet ya cant own just one is not a bet I could make!
Though I've never been a fan of pocket clips, even less on a big knife. Ruins the ergonomics, like poorly designed pliers that inevitably give a mean draw blood pinch when slip happens. Not that I don't use them, but only on rarely or never used emergency tools I don't have to handle much. Rather have a belt pouch / scabbard tailored to the item.
Long ago I lost a 4" bladed antique Case bulldog folder because it within a loose pocket, and foolishly had no clip, or belt scabbard.
IMGP0369.JPG This one doesn't pinch.

Something about a nice knife that draws like a magnet. Bet ya cant own just one is not a bet I could make!
Though I've never been a fan of pocket clips, even less on a big knife. Ruins the ergonomics, like poorly designed pliers that inevitably give a mean draw blood pinch when slip happens. Not that I don't use them, but only on rarely or never used emergency tools I don't have to handle much. Rather have a belt pouch / scabbard tailored to the item.
Long ago I lost a 4" bladed antique Case bulldog folder because it within a loose pocket, and foolishly had no clip, or belt scabbard.
View attachment 1392275 This one doesn't pinch.
I was/am honestly surprised that the clip on this knife doesn't bother my bare hand at all.

I will say though that almost every YouTube video review I've watched does mention that you need to sand down the texture under the clip or it will shred jeans in a day.

But as textured as the handle is it's pretty comfy. Granted I don't use any knife all day long so if I did I would at least wear thin gloves minimum- if nothing else but to prevent slipping. This is not a knife you want to accidentally get away from you.

I've only ever had 1 Cold Steel knife. I hated it, it was junk. Why I never had another.
But your high praise and provocative pics have convinced me. I'm going to go look at them and try again.

Cold Steel needs a big hairy sasquatch (Joe) as their new brand ambassador.

Dang, now I'm hoping everyone likes them or else there is going to be a lot of disgruntled people posting in here :eek: :D .

This is my first cold steel. I'm a big fan of Kershaw and while I'm not a big fan of the politics of Benchmade, they do seem to make a quality knife (I've only ever bought slightly used cuz new is over my budget).

I do like Esse knives though as well and have a folder and fixed blade that have both been very good.

Nice pocket-clip blade. AUS-10 as well... ;) top o' the line AUS knife steel, for $85.00, not bad... But I see where I can get the S-35VN version for just about $325.00. Much as I like and respect S35VN, that's a bit too rich for my personal expenditures... I'd have to insure it against loss...
As far as CS goes, I've got a good collection of the Lynn Thompson-era knives. The "new" CS, not so much... They jacked their prices way up so I'm not impressed. Like, I can get a USED Recon Scout for what they are asking for the new ones... JMO, YMMV, Old Fart On Duty...

Last Edited:
Dang, now I'm hoping everyone likes them or else there is going to be a lot of disgruntled people posting in here :eek: :D .

This is my first cold steel. I'm a big fan of Kershaw and while I'm not a big fan of the politics of Benchmade, they do seem to make a quality knife (I've only ever bought slightly used cuz new is over my budget).

I do like Esse knives though as well and have a folder and fixed blade that have both been very good.
Dude anyone reading here has the net at their fingertips. They can look at a LOT of reviews on the stuff CS makes and decide. I just got a Luzon today to replace an EDC made by Schrade. I liked the Schrade but, two of the 3 keep screwing up. Its and easy fix but I am tired of it and they are retiring. The Luzon I got is VERY nice for what I paid for it. So nice that now I have handled one a couple more will be on their way. I carry an EDC if every pair of pants I have hanging up so at least two, sometimes 3. Nice to have the same knife in all 3. Now would I want to go into battle with the CS I just tried? No. Its light, well made, works, and if I abuse it and break it WTF cares. If I lose it? WTF cares. I have a couple Benchmade that are older than some of the people posting here that are nice. They were still US made when I bought them and price wise? They were like $60 or $70 back in the 90's. So that's a bit now in today's dollars. After that stunt the Co pulled I don't want to buy anything else from them.

After that stunt the Co pulled I don't want to buy anything else from them.
Same, plus they are not worth the regular prices imo, you can get knives about as nice for less then half.

The most I've ever paid for a knife is $80 so $250-350 on sale is still out of my ballpark.

I have pretty thick skin so my comment was mostly sarcasm ;) .

I have knives all over the house and only take a few with me regularly. My work knives get beaten on, the others I baby.

I have a Kershaw blur that I used for 14 years and had to retire it only because it developed sentimental value, but that sucker deploys as fast as any automatic it's so worn in.

My wife does not get why I need more then one knife much less dozens but thankfully she is the 'whatever makes you happy' type with my interests.

One last thought…. The Milwaukee folders that use razor blades are pretty handy work knives if you just need a really sharp blade and not a prybar.

Bought hubby a CS Rajah II, years ago. It is somewhat large but fits a back pocket. This knife has been beat hard. Still tight, flips open on demand, cuts like crazy and sharpens up easily. Sits in a drawer all winter but is in general use all other seasons. We have a couple CS Trail knives and a SRK. All have performed well. One rides in the truck. Some cheap CS pocket folders weren't that great and were relegated to the boat for bait knives. Despite Benchmade politics we have had good results with Benchmade stuff, both fixed blade, folders, and auto-openers. Also have some great CS kitchen knives. I am looking forward to a Bradford Guardian 3.5" with Jade G10 grips for my birthday! Ya' gets what ya' pays for! Ha! Can you ever have too many knives?

I ordered 2 different models based on your praise. I'm going to be so upset if they aren't better than my Benchmade, Chris Reeves, Grimsmo and ZT varieties.

So.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads