JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So after being hurt in Afghanistan in 2011, I went on to put on some weight and am not real happy abut it.

I'm 6'8" tall and am up to just over 300 pounds. For perspective, I was in the 250 range when I got hurt. I have lower back and cervical spine herniations but finally have got the pain under control.

If I go straight out and try to run I will likely hurt myself further, so I want to start with walking. I already walk a half mile or so 3 times a week, but feel like I need to move that to 2 or 3 miles 5-6 days a week.

Anybody in the Tigard area who needs to do the same? Its been my experience that training with others is the most effective way to do it.

Or am I nuts?

Wait, don't answer that.

I can't help with the walking, but you might also want to check out 'Convict Conditioning' for other conditioning needs you may have. Essentially its a low impact bodyweight-only calisthenics program that strengthens ligaments and joints as well as musculature. Since I started it about a year ago, I've sold off all of my weight equipment (after using weights for nearly 35 years) in favor of just this program and kettlebells.

Keith

I was almost offended, lol... Then I googled it. Looks like a purely body weight based regimen. Seen and used these myself at times. Still got to get walking though. Thanks

Hmmm, had not thought of Craigslist. I just have to start moving. I've changed diet enough to drop 25 pounds in the last month....I just need it to keep going.

Is a gym membership out of the question? Machines like the elliptical and stairmaster and cross-trainer are really good at burning cals, building cardio, and easing a fatbody back into fighting condition. I got pretty out of shape a few years ago and thought I'd just run it off... NOPE. I'd been a strong runner all my life, but I'd never been the age I was and that out of shape before, and it was a rude awakening. It took a gym membership and about 3 months of machine time before I could really do anything out on the track again, and it was still baby steps. Probably 6 months before I could really run with any degree of comfort or strength, and it was a year before I was a strong runner again.

But man... those machines sure did help. Low or no-impact, variable settings, comfort of fans and a controlled atmosphere.. just bring a bottle of water, towel, and your MP3 player.

Yeah, no can do the gym membership. Way too fixed income for that. Gonna have to do it the old fashioned way with the walking and building up to the more strenuous stuff.

What worked for me when I started to bump the walking and biking as to keep a very low supply of a high demand food item. I had picked a market that was about two miles away. For me, the high-demand item was the fresh vegetable(s). I made dinner, was then out of any veggies, so I needed to go get some. I would wait about twenty minutes before heading out to keep from getting any cramps or indigestion issues. The walk would help me figure out what I wanted to have for dinner the next night. Just something that worked for me anyhow.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top