JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After August 9th any gun you buy in Oregon with paper work is going to be registered to you until you register it buy selling it to someone else. To the state anything after the 9th is then on a registry and you can be held accountable for where it is. Anything before the 9th could have been sold in a legal private sale and you are not responsible for the gun.

Question is, will you buy more guns from the gun store knowing it's going on a registery?

I honestly have lost count of how many BGC's I have had. If I am not on a list somewhere, I would be shocked. To answer your question Jim, I don't know. I just haven't decided what I am going to do moving forward.

If you bought it at an Oregon gun store before that date, it already is on a registry. They have illegally kept that information, but don't admit it. :(

Not really because it was legal to sell and you didn't have to register it to a private party. Now you must have a paper trail with registration to sell a gun. You are right that the state has a registry of past store sales but they had no way to track where they went from there.

I honestly have lost count of how many BGC's I have had. If I am not on a list somewhere, I would be shocked. To answer your question Jim, I don't know. I just haven't decided what I am going to do moving forward.

Any gun before August 9th was legal to sell without paperwork. No that every gun must be registered it will be in your name and unless you sell it with paperwork the government knows you have it. They say the first step in confiscation is registration and as of the 9th the new guns will have a paper trail.

If you bought it at an Oregon gun store before that date, it already is on a registry. They have illegally kept that information, but don't admit it. :(
The difference is that you have plausible deniability with firearms bought before the date that private transactions have to be recorded, and the state then has to prove different.

I.E., you can say you sold it to someone but you don't remember who, or possibly even that you are not going to say who. Or you could say you lost it, or destroyed it.

For that matter, you can say you destroyed firearms bought after the private transaction laws went into effect. I don't recall anything in those laws about reporting the destruction of firearms having to be recorded.

Also, if you move out of state (take up residence in another state) and legally sell the firearms to someone in another state where private transactions do not require any gov. records, then you can assert the firearms have moved out of the Oregon state system that way. Which is why the anti-gunners are trying real hard to spread these laws to other states.

Of course, if the gov. can prove differently - i.e., if they can find the firearms and prove you broke the law (including lying to a law enforcement officer investigating a crime), then you would be in trouble.

But what it comes down to for the most part, is that this doesn't become an issue until such time as the gov. goes around wanting to confiscate those firearms or has reason to ask you to account for the firearms you bought after the law is in effect. The latter is the most likely for the immediate future; i.e., someone illegaly sells the firearm (does not run the BGC and have it recorded) they bought after the law is in effect and then the buyer and firearm comes to the attention of the gov.

To answer the original question.

Yes, I intend to buy *some* firearms after the law goes into effect - but I will be less likely to do so.

I also intend to retire in about 5 years and I am seriously considering making another state - such as Idaho - my state of residence, at least for a year or two.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top