JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was just checking out the Sporting Goods section of the Medford Mail Tribune classifieds and saw this ad: "Ruger Mini-14, Walnut stock, Tack Driver, $495, 541-488-4882"

I have no connection with the seller but thought I would let you all know about the ad since it would be a good price if it is indeed a "Tack Driver"! If I hadn't just bought a Mini 14 I would definitely check it out.

I was just checking out the Sporting Goods section of the Medford Mail Tribune classifieds and saw this ad: "Ruger Mini-14, Walnut stock, Tack Driver, $495, 541-488-4882"

I have no connection with the seller but thought I would let you all know about the ad since it would be a good price if it is indeed a "Tack Driver"! If I hadn't just bought a Mini 14 I would definitely check it out.
-
ox·y·mo·ron
Dictionary result for oxymoron
/ˌäksəˈmôrˌän/
The association of 'Tack-Driver', to the firearm known as Ruger Mini-14

Didn't you guys see the photos? He's actually selling three things together: a Mini14, a walnut stock, and a tack driver.

upload_2019-3-8_17-51-11.jpeg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRM2J8A6xN_izPI9nB0aYbq6WZMgRfpA_9m-T4Vrc5-H0F3vaNd.jpg upload_2019-3-8_17-52-17.jpeg

All kidding aside, I have heard that the newer ones are far more accurate than the old ones.
I recently bought a used 2011-vintage Mini (with the newer style tapered barrel) from a local gun store, and discovered that the accuracy was terrible. I sent it in to Ruger and they did some work on the slide, the gas block, the barrel crown, and the fit of the trigger assembly in the stock. The Ruger tech who worked on it told me that before his repairs the Mini was shooting 2" groups at 50 yards. His first test group after repairs was an amazing 1/4 inch at 50 yards. He told me that he thought I might not believe it if he sent me a target showing the 1/4" group so he shot some additional groups until he got one that was closer to 1" at 50 yards. The ammo he used was standard American Eagle 55 gr FMJ.

I just got the rifle back from Ruger and have yet to shoot it for further testing but hope to very soon. By the way Ruger customer service was stellar and they paid for shipping both ways and charged nothing for the repairs.

Last Edited:
Oh yeah, my SHTF rifle is a Mini 14 Tactical. It's the platform I'm most comfortable with. I've tried other platforms and this is what I've come to.

I'm old, I live in the woods, there's barely a fifty yard shot in the area and quite frankly I'm more concerned with having a heart attack or stroke than a running gunfight. The Mini suits my needs.