JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I just ordered a Dillon 550b with a set of 9mm and 223 dies, and I have no idea what I got myself into. I have done a little bit of 308 reloading (200 rounds in 2 sessions) on a friend's single stage, with him standing over my shoulder and telling me what to do.

I don't expect you to teach me how to reload, but if anyone has any sage advice to help me avoid noobie mistakes and pitfalls, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Alex

ETA: OK, I'm working my way through all the newbie reloading threads. I guess I am looking for advice specific to the Dillon 550b

Last Edited:
work left to right I.E. empty brass on one side, finished loads on the other side, Don't stop mid process, No radio or other distractions, and no Adult Beverage before or during! Follow published Load data from the low side and Very carefully work up from there! Most loading's work best some where below max load, learn what YOUR gun likes best! Take your time, and if you have questions, or run into issues or problems STOP, and ask for help, For Gods sake, do not shoot any thing until you figure out any answers to questions or problems!

So I just ordered a Dillon 550b with a set of 9mm and 223 dies, and I have no idea what I got myself into. I have done a little bit of 308 reloading (200 rounds in 2 sessions) on a friend's single stage, with him standing over my shoulder and telling me what to do.

I don't expect you to teach me how to reload, but if anyone has any sage advice to help me avoid noobie mistakes and pitfalls, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Alex

ETA: OK, I'm working my way through all the newbie reloading threads. I guess I am looking for advice specific to the Dillon 550b

You won't save any money but you will shoot more.
Dillon has some good videos
And then there's this guy, who has videos on every press, and everything re-loading.
https://www.youtube.com/user/gavintoobe/videos
scroll down and keep hitting "load more" to get to the Dillon stuff.
Or here. mostly 650 stuff though:(
http://ultimatereloader.com/dillon/
:)

Last Edited:
Start out loading the 9mm. Use a little spritz of Hornady One Shot case lube.
Don't pinch your finger between the die and bullet in the seating station.
Wear safety glasses, and try not to grin to the point where your teeth get dry
as a loaded round hits the bin with each pull of the handle.

If you get confused, come on down and crank out a couple thousand 9's on
my 550 while I watch/coach. No charge.:)

Start out loading the 9mm. Use a little spritz of Hornady One Shot case lube.
Don't pinch your finger between the die and bullet in the seating station.
Wear safety glasses, and try not to grin to the point where your teeth get dry
as a loaded round hits the bin with each pull of the handle.

If you get confused, come on down and crank out a couple thousand 9's on
my 550 while I watch/coach. No charge.:)

Thank you for the advice, and thanks for the coaching offer. I just might take you up on that. I'm having a reloading reading and video marathon tonight. Press won't be here until next Friday

Take your time and don't let the press intimidate you. Once you get comfortable with it you'll be glad you bought a 550. Don't be afraid to ask questions, everybody was new at reloading once.

Just a note, you said you got dies, make sure you also got the conversion kit. The only time I have ever loaded a squib was when I first went from my SS press to the 550. It was because I was checking every case at every station, sometimes taking the case out to check, not good. I have 30,000 rounds through mine now with nary a problem . Good luck.

Read the Dillon manual. Read and reread at least one reloading manual. Take your time during press set up. Go slowly at first, and measure everything (oal, powder weight, etc.) Often as you go along. No distractions, as someone else has mentioned should be present in the room. I use post-its with specific load info on the side of my powder dispenser, and my calipers are always within reach. Only have the currently used components on your bench. And finally, think of the process as an enjoyable past time in itself, rather than as a chore to be done on the way to the range. Enjoy!

The above tips are very good!

Don't let the process intimidate you! I was a self taught reloader, most guys my age were. Utube didn't exist, PC's didn't either and chronographs were for rich guys! So....books and a friend, who was also learning, to bounce ideas and questions off of!
Point being, it isn't rocket science! A sense of carefulness is more important than raw intelligence! You've already made your best move on the forum, here.:)
Best of luck!

For 9mm, take the barrel out of your gun and use it as a gauge to do the "Plunk Test".
Your ammo should drop into the barrel until the case base is flush with the barrel hood and you hear the case rim hit the step in the barrel with a "Plunk".
Doing the 1st round in every run and/or after any dies adjustment can save you from a lot of bullet pulling;)
:D

Use carbide dies on the 9mm. No case lube needed. Stick with easily metering powders (ball, small flakes, or flattened spheres but no powders with long extruded grains). If you are shooting an auto .223/5.56 rifle you definitely want to make sure you test their function in your gun before you load a lot of them. If you have problems getting them to chamber all the way put your rounds through a small base sizer die first (manually like with a single stage press). My .223 rounds from 550B would work great in everything (Colt AR, mini14, Rem 700) except a Rock River AR (which has a match chamber). I also like to check to make sure there is powder visible in the charged case at least every few rounds and make sure you put the rod in the primer magazine so it will tell you when the magazine is almost out.
On my 550B which I have had for about 20 years I like to set up a constant rhythm. After you get the first couple of cases in and index the wheel then I pick up a case with the right hand and a bullet with the left hand and put them in place at the same time. Cycle the press with your right hand, index the wheel with your left and repeat. You have to concentrate, but I can load around 300 rounds an hour with mine if I have several primer magazines loaded and ready to go.
Also if you lose or break a press part, just call Dillon and they will usually send a free replacement. Dillon is a good company with a great product.

Rule #1 Do not smoke while reloading.

Rule #2. Do not exceed the maximum loads in the loading tables.

Rule #3. Do not shoot someone else's reloads... unless you know and trust them.

:D
Rule #1 is don't drink at all before reloading;)
Then smoking
And only do what your attention span will let you do. I mean kids,wives,girl friends,etc. Lock the door and concentrate on what is at hand.
Go to you tube. There is 100s of vids on the Dillon 550, not to mention reloading.
Remember, if the you tube hack starts to sound like a country song(dog died,my friends needs help with a bull) go to the next one. Lots of real old time reloaders to be found
Good luck

Lots of good advice here. May I add or reiterate;
If you have any questions, ASK!!
Make sure you understand what is happening at each step.
The 550 can be used Single Stage at first if that will help you transition to progressive.
On my 550 the small primer slide is finicky. It really likes to be extra clean. Make sure it travels all the way back to pick up a primer. If it doesn't, then you should notice the press handle sticking and not returning easily when you go forward to seat the primer.
Good luck and have fun!!

Thank you to everyone who posted. I did a YouTube video watching marathon last night, and am getting a pretty good idea, I think. Doesn't seem too different from what my friend taught me on the single stage.

Now I just need a case trimmer and a swager before Friday, and I might be cranking out some rounds next weekend. I definitely intend to go slow at first.

I have this crazy excitement like I had when I first got into firearms or when I first started playing guitar.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top