JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Glad it's working out for you OP.

If you ever have the urge to spend a few more coins, catch a PSA dedicated 22 cal m-lok upper. They work really well and make a nice topper for any extra complete lowers you might have laying around. Add a Boonie Packer adapter and S&W M&P 15-22 mags and you get AR feel, features and weight, last shot bolt hold open, proper 22 cal barrel twist and no issues with fouling tubes, etc.

If you ever have the urge to spend a few more coins, catch a PSA dedicated 22 cal m-lok upper. They work really well and make a nice topper for any extra complete lowers you might have laying around. Add a Boonie Packer adapter and S&W M&P 15-22 mags and you get AR feel, features and weight, last shot bolt hold open, proper 22 cal barrel twist and no issues with fouling tubes, etc.
I tried to wait the PSA "temporary out of stock" game, even had them notify me when back in stock, only to be "out of stock". So, with my impatience I went ahead and got this in the mean time. So far so good, can't wait to try it in my rifle now.

I tried to wait the PSA "temporary out of stock" game, even had them notify me when back in stock, only to be "out of stock". So, with my impatience I went ahead and got this in the mean time. So far so good, can't wait to try it in my rifle now.

I felt your same impatience. Took me about a 4 month wait until I caught mine. I considered your same approach but unfortunately felt I needed to spend the extra coin so I would not have any "misunderstandings" with CA AW regulations.

Have fun, shoot straight and shoot often!

+1 on the Boonie Packer Better Mag adapter and the 15-22 mags. I tried the CMMG kit and while it started out ok, I started having issues. I eventually said "F it" and went out and bought a "proper"
.22 rifle...., a S&W 15-22 and never looked back. I love mine and my 13yr old daughter loves her's too.

View attachment 525564 Accuracy (standard AR peep rear/post front) was far better than I anticipated. With the cheap Federal Black ammo it averaged about 1" at 50 feet, not too bad. Next range trip I'll put it in my AR rifle with a nice Burris scope on it and see what kind of accuracy potential it has. I'm guessing 1/2" or better:D

We were also surprised with the accuracy as a conversion kit. Godson who is a novice plinker rang the 6-inch steel at 50 feet every shot using a red dot sight...

I coach a junior speed steel rifle shooting team. Each of my kids, myself and assist. coach all run these. I personally own eight of them, some for dedicated .22lr barrels some for 5.56 barrels. My kids have well over 30k rounds downrange and I'm probably close to 80k. These are great units, we run CCI AR tactical ammo exclusively as it has always performed flawlessly. Nothing worse than a youngster having to deal with malfunctions during a match because of the good deal special on ammo that mom and dad got at the hardware store. The most consistent problem will be with broken firing pins and firing pin return springs. It happened fairly often early on then I think CMMG changed material on the pin and springs because it drastically slowed down. CMMG has always made good on the parts in a very timely manner. The second problem is a failure on the chamber adapter. We have had 4 of them split, again CMMG made good they claim it's from a heavy powder charge load, I have my doubts about that. We run Black Dog mags and are very happy with them along with their speed loaders. I've never owned a 15-22 S&W but have run across them on the range they're too heavy for my taste and the kids' and you should make sure to put anti-walk trigger pins in them it's a polymer lower and the pins can walk and drop it letting the sear go out of alignment going full auto. Not sure if S&W has fixed the spitting the extractor out the side problem but haven't heard anything about that happening in a while so probably did. Appleseed has banned them at one time for these reasons not sure if that has been lifted or not. I would highly recommend the CMMG kit despite the few issues we have had they have been a great experience.

View attachment 525564 Just got back from the range with my oldest son. The adapter had a few fte within the first four mags. See pic above. After that (approx 40-50 rounds) it ran flawless. Accuracy (standard AR peep rear/post front) was far better than I anticipated. With the cheap Federal Black ammo it averaged about 1" at 50 feet, not too bad. Next range trip I'll put it in my AR rifle with a nice Burris scope on it and see what kind of accuracy potential it has. I'm guessing 1/2" or better:D
CMMG has a dedicated charging handle to fix this problem

I have had a few different conversion kits. They are fine if you are just letting the kiddos shoot, but I prefer a dedicated upper with the proper twist. The upper while it costs more, I dont have to rezero and mess with all the different settings. For the time savings its worth the extra money to me. Also more accurate than any of the conversion kits that I have had.

I have had a few different conversion kits. They are fine if you are just letting the kiddos shoot, but I prefer a dedicated upper with the proper twist. The upper while it costs more, I dont have to rezero and mess with all the different settings. For the time savings its worth the extra money to me. Also more accurate than any of the conversion kits that I have had.

You can run a .22 barrel with these units it just uses a collar with a feed ramp vs. the chamber adapter. I run a Clint Beyer barrel on mine and my sons. My kiddos took 2nd place at the Scholastic Action Shooting Program national championships in Ohio this last July. Certainly if PRS shooting is your thing then the conversion probably isn't the cup of tea you're looking for but for plinking, speed steel it's very nice for the price.

Last Edited:
6447F44B-58CF-4F20-859D-0C9F8A07569F.jpeg 20379A91-545F-414E-BA6F-83CA2BBA4F8B.jpeg
This was a surprise, the cheap Federal Black beat out CCI standard velocity out of my 18" barreled AR. I'm just glad the bullets aren't tumbling from overstabilization out of the 1-7 twist.

I coach a junior speed steel rifle shooting team. Each of my kids, myself and assist. coach all run these. I personally own eight of them, some for dedicated .22lr barrels some for 5.56 barrels. My kids have well over 30k rounds downrange and I'm probably close to 80k. These are great units, we run CCI AR tactical ammo exclusively as it has always performed flawlessly. Nothing worse than a youngster having to deal with malfunctions during a match because of the good deal special on ammo that mom and dad got at the hardware store. The most consistent problem will be with broken firing pins and firing pin return springs. It happened fairly often early on then I think CMMG changed material on the pin and springs because it drastically slowed down. CMMG has always made good on the parts in a very timely manner. The second problem is a failure on the chamber adapter. We have had 4 of them split, again CMMG made good they claim it's from a heavy powder charge load, I have my doubts about that. We run Black Dog mags and are very happy with them along with their speed loaders. I've never owned a 15-22 S&W but have run across them on the range they're too heavy for my taste and the kids' and you should make sure to put anti-walk trigger pins in them it's a polymer lower and the pins can walk and drop it letting the sear go out of alignment going full auto. Not sure if S&W has fixed the spitting the extractor out the side problem but haven't heard anything about that happening in a while so probably did. Appleseed has banned them at one time for these reasons not sure if that has been lifted or not. I would highly recommend the CMMG kit despite the few issues we have had they have been a great experience.

Good points on the 15-22. Mine blew out the extractor early on. Went with a Volquartsen extractor in mine and my daughter's and have had zero issues. I also installed anti-walk pins in ours as well.

Mine is set up for speed steel. My times are actually faster with my AR9.:s0092:
I generally practice with the 15-22 then shoot the AR9 in the speed steel matches. YMMV

I've run the Ciener Adaptor and the CMMG dedicated upper. I finally ended up with the DPMS 2nd model .22 Bull barreled upper. It has the same furniture and sights as my .458 SoCom.:D
They weigh about the same. Close your eyes and it's hard to tell the difference.:p
A lot cheaper to shoot though.:rolleyes:
The 2nd model has an internal arrangement similar to a 10-22 and will shoot nickel sized groups at 50 yards.:eek:

@kmk1012 Thanks for the ammo test info! Glad I hoarded some of the Federal Black Packs recently :D. BTW, I just purchased an HK416 pistol in 22LR. I'll try to do a comparison between that and an AR fitted with the CMMG conversion kit.

Good points on the 15-22. Mine blew out the extractor early on. Went with a Volquartsen extractor in mine and my daughter's and have had zero issues. I also installed anti-walk pins in ours as well.

Mine is set up for speed steel. My times are actually faster with my AR9.:s0092:
I generally practice with the 15-22 then shoot the AR9 in the speed steel matches. YMMV
That's funny about your pcc times. I shoot both in steel challenge as well and my times are very close finally beat my .22lr time with my pcc at the last match actually won the match took second with my .22lr. Probably because I shoot the .22lr first and pcc second. I'm a GM with both my two 13 year olds are M class, 11 year old A class and 10 year old is B. The kids are in rimfire rifle optic division. The 11 should be M but still gets distracted from time to time and it reflects. It's an age thing.

I think it mostly has to to with the recoil impulse from target to target. Even though my 9 is heavier then my .22, I find it easier to get in the "zone" vs the .22. I also have a hard time hearing the .22 hits, especially on the longer stages (35-40yds out).

Anyway, i'm glad that the CMMG kits work you. The 15-22 works for me. At the end of the day though, it really doesn't matter who runs what, as long as your choice is reliable and your having a fun time while shooting it! What more could you ask for? :D

I got mine about 8 months ago, works flawlessly in my Carbines and have had zero issues with feeding or ammo sensitivity! Accuracy was better then expected and the effective range was better then I thought, almost the same as a dedicated. 22 rifle! :)
A good value and a good alternate for practicing!

I got mine about 8 months ago, works flawlessly in my Carbines and have had zero issues with feeding or ammo sensitivity! Accuracy was better then expected and the effective range was better then I thought, almost the same as a dedicated. 22 rifle! :)
A good value and a good alternate for practicing!

That's what I've concluded. I'll find out tomorrow how it does at 100yds. And report back.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top