JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
:DI've been looking at these for a while now and finally ordered it. I know that there are some compromises with them, 223 bullet diameter and 224 bore, fast twist rate and all. My thinking is that I can let the kids learn on the AR rifle and pistol for future full power shooting. When it arrives I'll (almost immediately test it) give a review of it. My range has an indoor 22lr range open until 10:00pm every day so I think I'll be burning some of those federal black boxes through it. :D

I had good luck with mine years ago once I sanded down the contact points for the slide with 1000 grit and cleaned out the burrs on the inside of the magazine where the follower goes.

I had good luck with mine years ago once I sanded down the contact points for the slide with 1000 grit and cleaned out the burrs on the inside of the magazine where the follower goes.
I may have to get a hold of you for a follow up for some pointers. Hopefully it's 100% out of the box though.

I may have to get a hold of you for a follow up for some pointers. Hopefully it's 100% out of the box though.
You should expect 90% until a thousand rounds are out of it. If you get better than that it's a bonus.

Really though the best thing you can do is smooth the mag follower trough if you only do that it will make it run sooooo much better.

I've found all mine to be great pieces of gear that allow softer recoiling practice (and cheaper) with the AR. I've found that specs of burnt powder can kick back and hit the shooters cheek, but since I shoot with safety glasses anyway, it's a non issue.

In fact, once I dropped it in a metal wheel barrow by mistake, it came apart into about 4 pieces, I put it back together and it runs fine. Ha!

I'll give you my review. Bought it from a member here. One of the best purchases I've made. Black Dog makes great mags for them at decent prices. Haven't found the ammo it won't run as yet. Darn accurate for a sloppy bullet/barrel fit. I have absolutely no complaints. Been shooting it through a 1/9 barrel. Have to try one of my 1/7's to see how it performs.

I'll give you my review. Bought it from a member here. One of the best purchases I've made. Black Dog makes great mags for them at decent prices. Haven't found the ammo it won't run as yet. Darn accurate for a sloppy bullet/barrel fit. I have absolutely no complaints. Been shooting it through a 1/9 barrel. Have to try one of my 1/7's to see how it performs.
I've got a 1 in 7 pistol and rifle. Hopefully won't be too bad.

I have 2 kits and we love running them through the ARs for plinking fun. They ate every ammo type we fed it.

We prefer the Chiappa mags because of the guide slide on the side that helps with ammo loading vs. the CMMG supplied mag. CDNN Sports has the lowest price at $14.99 for one that holds 28 rounds.

CDNN SPORTS - AR15 28RD 22LR MAGAZINE FITS M422 UPPER CHIAPPA

Yes, typical of rimfires, the AR lower will get pretty dirty. "Hosing" off with Remington Rem Oil, then compressed air, followed with gun cleaning patches do a great job cleaning the lower. The barrel gets a normal cleaning.

There are reports prolonged use COULD foul the AR gas tube, so this is something to watch for. I have not had any problems and have put more than 1,000 rounds through the conversion kit.

atimag_1.jpg

Lots of fun with "POP Can" accuracy, depending on barrel twist.:D
The Ciener Mags from CMMG in gray are always on sale and usually less than BlackDog.:rolleyes:
If you don't like the gray, RITZ fabric dye (at the market) works great. Take the spring and
follower out, then simmer the mag halves for a few minutes on the stove. Don't use a good pot.:p
BlackDog has a 50 rnd. drum mag that's a lot of fun, just make sure you don't order the one for
the S&W AR.22.o_O

* Last, but not least....DO NOT use a nitro solvent on the Ciener plastic magazines. It makes the plastic brittle.:eek::eek::eek:

PS Run it wet. I use ATF in a small squeeze bottle for all of my AR's

Last Edited:
I bought an AR with one in it from a member here. it had 3 mags with it. I put it in my daughters AR so she could get used to weight, size, etc. (just like you mentioned doing).

The only problem I had was failing to eject. Upon inspection the extractor was broken in half, so only half of the surface of the extractor was grabbing the case rim. I called CMMG and explained what was going on. They had never heard of one breaking in half like that and asked to see pictures. I sent them pictures. They called me about 10 minutes later and said they had never seen one break like that. They sent me a new extractor and extractor spring.

Granted we have not put "that many" rounds through it since fixing it, but all 3 mags work and it has eaten anything we've loaded into it. (Probably close to 1000 rounds)

We haven't done any "accuracy" tests as that is what other rifles for. This one is a "fun one" for her.

DSCN0795.JPG DSCN0805.JPG DSCN0806.JPG

For a little more, buy a .22 rifle, like an S&W 15-22 or something else. (I considered a kit, but found the cost prohibitive compared to simply buying a dedicated .22 cal)

Conversion kits (my opinion) are nominally less expensive and often a pain...

I have 2 kits and we love running them through the ARs for plinking fun. They ate every ammo type we fed it.

We prefer the Chiappa mags because of the guide slide on the side that helps with ammo loading vs. the CMMG supplied mag. CDNN Sports has the lowest price at $14.99 for one that holds 28 rounds.

CDNN SPORTS - AR15 28RD 22LR MAGAZINE FITS M422 UPPER CHIAPPA

Yes, typical of rimfires, the AR lower will get pretty dirty. "Hosing" off with Remington Rem Oil, then compressed air, followed with gun cleaning patches do a great job cleaning the lower. The barrel gets a normal cleaning.

There are reports prolonged use COULD foul the AR gas tube, so this is something to watch for. I have not had any problems and have put more than 1,000 rounds through the conversion kit.

View attachment 522196

Thanks for the link! By the way, it is recommended to run a few .223 rounds after every 300-500 .22lr's to blow out the gas tube.

One of the problems the Military had with them was that the soft lead would tend to clug up the gas system. I believe the Military finally got rid of the conversion kits and went to a few full time rifles.

C6D4CF10-FB54-42FB-BE59-6A63A4D41217.jpeg Just got back from the range with my oldest son. The adapter had a few fte within the first four mags. See pic above. After that (approx 40-50 rounds) it ran flawless. Accuracy (standard AR peep rear/post front) was far better than I anticipated. With the cheap Federal Black ammo it averaged about 1" at 50 feet, not too bad. Next range trip I'll put it in my AR rifle with a nice Burris scope on it and see what kind of accuracy potential it has. I'm guessing 1/2" or better:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top