JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The JIT supply system worked for me as an ammunition manufacturer. To function at my level I'm restricted on the amounts of primers and powder I can have on hand. I'd get down to my restock level, order the most I could have and just keep going. Same with gun powder. Then in September without warning none of my suppliers will take orders for primers. So far I can still get powder, but with out primers........ Back before the who flung poo flu I didn't know I needed a rail road car or two of the consumables nor do I have the storage or funding to make that happeEspecially
Is there just one or two manufacturers of primers in the country? Asking about manufacturers, not how many retailers . Have you ever before had to halt ammo production, and if so was it also because of primers? If so it might make sense to stockpile primers once prices are back to normal in the event of the next such crisis. A workable approach might be to buy a used 20' or 40' shipping container. Then stockpile. And thereafter you go back to ordering normal amts and turning over your supply. This is assuming you have enough land so that you have somewhere to park a container. The container would also likely get you a better price. I once ordered a railway car of boxes of sterile disposable Petri dishes direct from the manufacturer for about 1/4 of the ordinary cost if I had gone through my university, even though the university bought way more Petri dishes than I per year. However, the university bought such supplies from a scientific supply house, a middleman. And they didn't buy by the train car load, the convenient way for the manufacturer to ship to people such as their own distributors. This is assuming you have enough land to park a container. And the primers could last in such storage without deterioration. A container based storage space, by the way, is mobile so doesn't increase your property taxes.

A couple of things, first of the 4 usa made primer companies Federal, CCI and Remington are owned by Vista Outdoor Products. Next even if I could buy a shipping container full of primers I couldn't store it.
Wow. So it sounds like there are really only two companies manufacturing primers in US, both of which also manufacture ammo, so are in competition with small ammo manufacturers using their primers and with reloaders. No wonder there's a shortage.

Yeah, storage would be an issue. It might work for someone who had a farm or some rural acerage, though.

Last Edited:
Wow. So it sounds like there are really only two companies manufacturing primers in US, both of which also manufacture ammo, so are in competition with small ammo manufacturers using their primers and with reloaders. No wonder there's a shortage.

Yeah, storage would be an issue. It might work for someone who had a farm or some rural average, though.
A couple more tid-bits, last year Winchester took over running the Lake City Ammo Plant where the US military small arms ammo is made and Speer (owned by Vista Outdoors) won the contract to supply the Border Patrol with their ammo.

I've been retired 15 years so my perspective is dated ... but JIT was touted as a cost-savings strategy. That is [as long as needed parts/materials arrived on time] the interval between incurring an expense and being paid for product was minimized to greatest extent practical.

Edit to add: Our financial analysts saw inventory as an expense incurred that wasn't providing a timely return. Operational types like me looked at inventory as the assurance of production continuity.
I thought the ISO 9001 certification was the start of the problem

Yeah, storage would be an issue. It might work for someone who had a farm or some rural acerage, though.
Then if that's true, where is all the US made ammo?
Most if not all the ammo I see for sale these days has some crazy name I've never heard of--

Remember the reason for the last big ammo shortage?

Our Gov't was arming up for the Purge

You guys have some great threads and I start this just to be part of the group. While I don't see myself as tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist doom and gloom person I guess if you talk about survival then folks will profile you as such.

My effort here is to bring what I see on the net and discuss it some with you guys. I know many of you are much smarter and far better prepared than I am so its obvious you are better thinkers and I love opinions.

Before this becomes too long to read I will summarize the video that its all about shortages because of our just in time system. Its a little long but tells you whats comming and the increase in cost with it.

I appreciate your opinions. :s0093:

Old Guy Here.

J.I.T. was invented by the Japanese in the 1980's. Toyota was a big utilizer. Their entire economy was configured upon it, and USA firms ALL idolized them and sought to compete with them at that time by employing their principles. I worked at one local company here at the time, who tried to implement their techniques (starts with a "T" ends with "tronix").

Everything came to a disastrous end in 1990, when the Japanese realized there was actually a "Business Cycle" (i.e. things go UP and DOWN, so having Inventory On Hand is kind of a Good Thing to have as a Buffer).

The Nikkei (Japanese Stock Market) crashed in 1990.

It has STILL not returned to it's 1990 high, EVEN over 30 years later:

Be advised.

Mono1

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads