JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've seen the claims on supposed "silenced" pellet rifles, but I wondered just how quiet are they? Are they that much quieter than a standard break action single pellet rifle, or are they still pretty loud?

I have a squirrel issue that I am trying to decide how to deal with and some of the neighbors are PETA types that would not approve of my chosen method of problem resolution. ;)

I've seen the claims on supposed "silenced" pellet rifles, but I wondered just how quiet are they? Are they that much quieter than a standard break action single pellet rifle, or are they still pretty loud?

I have a squirrel issue that I am trying to decide how to deal with and some of the neighbors are PETA types that would not approve of my chosen method of problem resolution. ;)

Aguilar super calabri .22's are quieter than my sherridan .17 pump. In a bolt gun it sounds like a hand slapping against the other hand. Drops squirrels like a hammer. The backdrop distance is less than 100 yards also.

Aguilar super calabri .22's are quieter than my sherridan .17 pump. In a bolt gun it sounds like a hand slapping against the other hand. Drops squirrels like a hammer. The backdrop distance is less than 100 yards also.

I tried a couple of rounds in an old Savage .22 I have, but they were pretty dirty and then I read somewhere that some folks who used them repeatedly ended up getting a bullet lodged in the barrel so I'm a little leary of using them.

will your neighbors really hear a bb-pellet gun while they are doing their thing? 1 shot, 1 kill. If they hear and know what it is, they might work for a government agency!

You have a point, but I would just as soon limit my exposure as much as possible. While it really sounds pretty much like a nail gun, people using nail guns usually are using them multiple times over a period of time. Maybe if I off a squirrel I should just shoot the pellet gun several more times to confuse the enemy! :s0114:

I just think, unless they have one or know what "that" sound is, they will never question it, unless your plinking it somewhere visible from their house, as in, doing the dishes, and squirly goes head over tail. I used to keep a certain window screen off, and crack that window and shoot from inside the house and no one would know the little seed muncher just got smoked. Then go get rid of him later on.

I just think, unless they have one or know what "that" sound is, they will never question it, unless your plinking it somewhere visible from their house, as in, doing the dishes, and squirly goes head over tail. I used to keep a certain window screen off, and crack that window and shoot from inside the house and no one would know the little seed muncher just got smoked. Then go get rid of him later on.

Hehe, that's kind of what I am doing now, but I haven't pumped up my cheapo Crossman pellet rifle to full strength so far. Just enough to sting him real good in hopes that it will discourage him, but it doesn't seem to be working.

My wife was pretty forgiving until one of them destroyed a potted plant she just finished planting so now she is OK with me wacking the little bugger.

I tried a couple of rounds in an old Savage .22 I have, but they were pretty dirty and then I read somewhere that some folks who used them repeatedly ended up getting a bullet lodged in the barrel so I'm a little leary of using them.
I would have to see that to believe it. Would have to be a whole bunch of not cleaning the gun! CCI CB rounds are quieter than any of 4 different pellet guns I have tried. The Aguilar rounds are primer only if I am not mistaken. OK for a carnival booth but seems a bit weak for small game. Go for the tough shot! head/neck. The PETA types will scream like a mashed owl if a wounded rodent lands in their yard. I do not know about this personally you understand; but I heard tell>

I would have to see that to believe it. Would have to be a whole bunch of not cleaning the gun! CCI CB rounds are quieter than any of 4 different pellet guns I have tried. The Aguilar rounds are primer only if I am not mistaken. OK for a carnival booth but seems a bit weak for small game. Go for the tough shot! head/neck. The PETA types will scream like a mashed owl if a wounded rodent lands in their yard. I do not know about this personally you understand; but I heard tell>

Been using the Aguilars for 8 years. Yes, they are a little dirty, but, run a patch thru the bore after 50 and you're good. Oil the action liberally also. Busts squirrels out to 15 yards with deadly efficiency. The ones that drop in the yard wounded are dispatched by my Rottie. She is a sweetheart except for squirrels. They torment her from the treetops and fenceline.

As to the OP- I have a Gamo break barrel single shot pellet gun and the spring action is louder than the pellet. Unless a neighbor saw you pull the trigger or the nut muncher fell onto their bbq, I doubt anyone would recognize it for what it is. I use mine for drilling pigeons and crows all the time and my neighbors either hate pigeons and crows too, or nobody has noticed me doing it... This is what I use: Whisper Air Rifle | The Quiet Gun | Gamo USA

Hehe, that's kind of what I am doing now, but I haven't pumped up my cheapo Crossman pellet rifle to full strength so far. Just enough to sting him real good in hopes that it will discourage him, but it doesn't seem to be working.

My wife was pretty forgiving until one of them destroyed a potted plant she just finished planting so now she is OK with me wacking the little bugger.

the classic crossman pump, what ever it was, 1000, 1100, or such, thats what I use, the one you can use up to 10 pumps, and was the higher end of their line. pump 8-10 pumps, figure out where your accurate, and let it rip, kills, rabbits, squirrels, wood chucks, and crows. plenty of power with a bb.

I recently got a Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston .22 air rifle and it's definitely quieter than a .22lr, but I'm pretty sure the neighbors would hear it (and wonder what's going on) if I shot it outside. I could probably get away with shooting it from inside the house through an open window. A friend of mine used to do that with .22lr in the city - he had a pigeon problem that needed to be solved. He didn't have any problems with the neighbors, but had some scorch marks on his window sill....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top