JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know, nothing super special, but sounds like a nice gun, and I'm happy with it so so far. Haven't had a chance to fire it yet, but looks nice and seems to be in good shape. Bought it used, obviously, paid $550. Not great deal, but quality isn't cheap, and this sounds like a quality first. I wanted something big, and when I found out that a .357 Magnum revolver can also fire .38 special, that was a nice thing to hear, as I have heard that that is a good round for new people, and my girlfriend wants to learn to shoot. I'm not sure if she can easily rack the slide on my 9mm, so this gun should work well for her! Anyways, thought I would share!

20130802_131856.jpg

Many years ago, my first handgun was the blue version of this very same gun; since then I've had a thing about Smith & Wesson K frame revolvers. Get some good low power target wad cutters in .38 spl and this will be a great gun to learn on and have fun with. Something to remember about this revolver is that it is built on Smith's medium frame so you will feel recoil with full power .357 magnum loads. It's not unmanageable but it is noticable. A side note, what you paid is about the going rate for these things so you did ok.

Final comment about your lady racking the slide on your 9mm; if she learns the proper way to do it she should be able to rack the slide on anything on the market today. But, that's as good an excuse as any to buy another handgun! :s0114:

Many years ago, my first handgun was the blue version of this very same gun; since then I've had a thing about Smith & Wesson K frame revolvers. Get some good low power target wad cutters in .38 spl and this will be a great gun to learn on and have fun with. Something to remember about this revolver is that it is built on Smith's medium frame so you will feel recoil with full power .357 magnum loads. It's not unmanageable but it is noticable. A side note, what you paid is about the going rate for these things so you did ok.

Final comment about your lady racking the slide on your 9mm; if she learns the proper way to do it she should be able to rack the slide on anything on the market today. But, that's as good an excuse as any to buy another handgun! :s0114:

I know there are techniques for racking slides, but I figure that for someone totally new to shooting (she hadn't even touched a gun until just recently), a revolver should be the simplest way to bring her into it. And I picked up a couple boxes of .38 sp on the way home from the store (Gun Broker in Tigard, second gun I've bought there, really like them). But like you said, going revolver was a good excuse for a new gun, even if it's just new to me! But can't wait to pop off some .357 magnum rounds, lol!

Welcome to the dark side. It starts with one, then another one finds its way into your safe, and before you know it they are breeding like rabbits in there!

Up until recently I was not a wheel gun person, but made the mistake of buying a 66-1. At last count I have 10 revolvers and there is no end in sight.

You'll love the trigger on your Smith, especially in SA. The trigger break is like glass.

I've seen that about guns in general, lol! Bought my first one, a 9mm semiauto in November, and said "I'll probably just get this, and maybe a rifle." Now I have the two pistols, three and a half rifles (my AR upper has been on backorder since January) and a shotgun. This is an expensive hobby, lol! Especially since I jumped in just in time for The Great Gun Panic of 2013.

I've seen that about guns in general, lol! Bought my first one, a 9mm semiauto in November, and said "I'll probably just get this, and maybe a rifle." Now I have the two pistols, three and a half rifles (my AR upper has been on backorder since January) and a shotgun. This is an expensive hobby, lol! Especially since I jumped in just in time for The Great Gun Panic of 2013.

You have to adjust your attitude...this is not an expensive hobby...these are investments; it's always good to invest. :rolleyes:

I've got it's twin in my safe, and its an old friend. .38spl wadcuters and it will feel like a .22lr. The proper method to rack a slide for lady's and old people is demonstrated in any number of Utube vids. It's easy, I learned for those times when arthritis lites up my hands! Enjoy your new revolver!

The first gun I bought new was a 66-2 in 6". I have it today and it would be the last gun I would ever sell.

It has a few brothers now, such as all the 66s in each barrel length, the 624's in all lengths, the 629's in all lengths ...

my favorite was a Model 14 and fully seated mid range wadcutters. fun to watch little circles of paper flutter to the ground! I was hitting pie tins at 75 yards easily once I put a little "kentucky" elevation on it.

It is SPECIAL...........It's YOURS.

I always wanted one of them back in the day when I used a S&W Mod 15. But, my department wouldn't let us carry .357 Mags. Anyway....

Just shoot .38 Specials for practice. I suspect that your GF will really enjoy the round. Plus, the .38 Special is accurate and affordable.

Later, the .357 Mag. can/will add new excitement to your shooting.

Aloha, Mark

Definitely sounds like I chose wisely! I did do a little research, and I see the following the 66 has, that's always a good sign! And it's not quite mine yet, I just own it. It will be mine once I fire it, and maybe make a mod or two! It already has aftermarket grips, but some night sites might be in its near future!

Welcome to the dark side. It starts with one, then another one finds its way into your safe, and before you know it they are breeding like rabbits in there!

Up until recently I was not a wheel gun person, but made the mistake of buying a 66-1. At last count I have 10 revolvers and there is no end in sight.
And then you get into reloading so you can shoot more... Its a downward sprial...give up while you still can. If the OP sends his firearms I will spare him the pain of contining in this hobby. :s0112:

And then you get into reloading so you can shoot more... Its a downward sprial...give up while you still can. If the OP sends his firearms I will spare him the pain of contining in this hobby. :s0112:

I tried quitting, bought my last gun in March. But I got a bonus at work, and I had to buy a revolver with it. Not wanted to, had to! So while I appreciate the offer, if I send my guns to you, I'll just have to buy more, I can't quit cold turkey, that's just crazy talk!

I've also got a 66-7 in 4", and paid $550.00 two years ago at a gun show so I'd so you got a fine deal. The problem is, if I go to fondling others revolvers, Taurus, Ruger, etc, the triggers just don't compare! I love it, and it handles .357 Mag just fine. I wouldn't shoot a bunch of mag in it as from what I understand S&W discontinued the m66 to make the stronger 686 because there were some slight issues with the 66 handling constant use with .357 mag.

Have fun with that!

Mike

I've also got a 66-7 in 4", and paid $550.00 two years ago at a gun show so I'd so you got a fine deal. The problem is, if I go to fondling others revolvers, Taurus, Ruger, etc, the triggers just don't compare! I love it, and it handles .357 Mag just fine. I wouldn't shoot a bunch of mag in it as from what I understand S&W discontinued the m66 to make the stronger 686 because there were some slight issues with the 66 handling constant use with .357 mag.

Have fun with that!

Mike

My 66 has never had a magnum thru it, because of the 686!

Make sure the front of the cylinder is cleaned well after shooting a bunch of .38 spl ammo.
They are shorter then the magnums and tend to leave deposits on the cylinder walls where the magnums shells normally reside.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top