JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Any update from the ATF?
They are too busy changing the rules of the meetings about changing the rules to respond. I'd look for sometime in the second half of FY 2025 when the new non Biden administration has successfully communicated to them through the various layers of bureaucratic viscositude that they 1) need to do their jobs, 2) have to follow the law, and ) stop making bubblegum up as they go along

They sent out an identifying guide for what they consider solvent traps and not legal to build silences out of the other day. I'll see if I can find it

Permit/Control No: 2022304xxx

To whom it concerns

I will be building a 8" long 5.56mm specific silencer using mostly grade 2 titanium baffles that I will be machining on my South Bend lathe. The first two baffles in the silencer will be stainless steel Additional machining steps will be carried out using my Bridgeport milling machine. Ina addition I have a vintage Hendey lathe enroute that I will be transitioning to.

The baffles will be Omega style and will consist of 7 qty baffles bored to .325" as this will be used on a Kalashnikov variant rifle and I need a wide bore spacing to prevent baffle strikes and to keep the gas system pressure down to a reasonable level. Baffles will be 1.355" diameter and single clipped. There will be a sleeve internally to allow for easier baffle removal and cleaning

The Distal cap will be stainless steel and machined to 1.4375"x 20 for the tube side and 26x1.5mm for the rifle side.

List of components:

Grade 2 1 foot long Titanium rod: https://www.mcmaster.com/89145K23-89145K431/

Grade 2 1 foot long titanium tubing https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy...itanium-round-tube-grade-2-seamless/pid/20849

The equipment that will be used :

Bridgeport Mill

View attachment 1145435

Southbend lathe

View attachment 1145436

Hendey Lathe

View attachment 1145433
Inspirational.
I'd send them a pic of my 3D printer, induction casting machine and piles of stainless scrap cuttings.
Still working on the baffle design....

Will get a lathe and mill, one day....

Inspirational.
I'd send them a pic of my 3D printer, induction casting machine and piles of stainless scrap cuttings.
Still working on the baffle design....

Will get a lathe and mill, one day....
Thats what they want to see. Send it to them. They can eat it.

6703AD57-1654-40DA-B672-511125E318F7.jpeg

You're prolific. I'm stuck at two with nothing built yet.
It's after I submitted the 2nd that I learned you can send in a modification to allow it to handle different calibers. Haven't looked into the full details yet.
You dont need to do that. Just make the silencer large enough to handle a large calilber. Everything under that is fine.

Disapproved. I dont know what to say now?

"WRONG FPC SENT REFUND SUBMITTED"

I used THEIR fingerprint cards. Crappy thing is I have two other non silencer items submitted at the same time.

Last Edited:

Additional steps: eForm 1 Silencer submission

Looks like theyre going to get a pic of my mill and lathe and a pile of metal.

Dear eForm 1 applicant,
The National Firearms Act (NFA) Division received your ATF eForm 1, Application to Make and Register a Firearm. As a part of the application process, NFA Division must confirm that the making or possession of a firearm would not place the applicant in violation of law.[1]
NFA Division requests that you provide certain additional information so that it may determine whether your eForm 1 application to make a silencer may lawfully be approved. Specifically, please submit to NFA Division the following:​
  • Pictures of the parts that you will use to make the silencer (the pictures should be clear and allow the identification of the parts photographed),
  • A description of the processes you will use to assemble or fabricate the silencer,
  • The product, model, or kit name, if any, of each device and/or part that you will use to make the silencer, and
  • The source from which the parts were obtained, i.e., the name of the store, website, etc.
The additional information may be submitted to NFA Division at the following email address: [email protected]. Please include the form Permit Control Number or eForm ID in the Subject bar for each correspondence with attachments. The additional information may also be sent by mail to:
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
National Firearms Act Division
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, WV25405
Without the additional descriptive information, NFA Division will be unable to determine whether the eForm 1 application to make a silencer may lawfully be approved. Therefore, failure to submit the requested information by March 25, 2022, will result in your application being disapproved and your $200.00 making tax refunded.​
Talk to a lawyer first.

The point is that they may be asking for incriminating evidence and/or information to which they are not entitled. But OK, you just go with your best guess.
Its not terribly difficult to grasp. Theyre asking for a list of parts you are building with . They are doing that because they arent going to allow you to build one with solvent trap kits. You will be denied. You may be prosecuted or at least get a visit from a few agents you can slam the door on. In any case send them pics of a piece of virgin tubing you are going to make your silencer out of with the lathe you also send them a picture of. This is the new reality. Its not worth a $200 consult with an attorney when you know what the answer is going to be if youve been paying any sort of attention.

PXL_20220319_181450510.jpg

Lathe pics for sale...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top