JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just picked up a Glock 20 and some ammo today. I want to use this as a Camping, Hiking, and Overlanding rig. I'll probably have it cut for a Trijicon RMR if I like it. What holster should I get? I'm thinking a chest rig? Seems that would work while driving also.

EF3B673A-0F69-4157-9F2F-F2429EC50DD5.jpeg

I got one a couple weeks ago. I hadn't shot 10mm before that, but its a manageable recoil. I have a Safariland ALS being delivered today. You can get them on Amazon for about $35 and swap the mounting system for any of Safarilands holster mounting.

I'd look into a hill people gear kit bag which could be used beneficially to store a gun and also have other small items you may be interested in keeping on hand. It would also work better at concealing the gun if you wanted to have it nearly readily accessible but not display it openly

I'd look into a hill people gear kit bag which could be used beneficially to store a gun and also have other small items you may be interested in keeping on hand. It would also work better at concealing the gun if you wanted to have it nearly readily accessible but not display it openly
I looked the kit bags up. Looks like a good option. I'd be pretty low-key getting out of the truck or hiking near urban areas. What size would be best for a Glock 20? I also like the little trigger guard that you can get for them.

Watch the Paul Harrell video comparing 10mm to .40 s&w factory loads. It's pretty disappointing that you're often just buying .40 in a longer case so you'll want to look into some hotter loads or roll your own to get 10mm benefit out of that pistol.

I second the gunfighters inc Kenai chest rigs, that's what I use for Flying in the wilds! Used to sport a G-20, but switched to a 1911 a long time ago!
Still, this is one of the slickest options, especially if you want to add custom sights, light's, and such!

I looked the kit bags up. Looks like a good option. I'd be pretty low-key getting out of the truck or hiking near urban areas. What size would be best for a Glock 20? I also like the little trigger guard that you can get for them.
I have the recon kit bag and I wouldn't get anything smaller than that. It has the molle front, mine is maybe 8 years old so I think they've made some changes since then. I wanted it that way so I could scale it up by adding some molle pouches or mag pouches if I wanted to make it into a basic ready rig. You could also get the regular kit bag if you wanted more capacity, but I planned mine as just to hold the bare bones

In terms of the kydex trigger guard, yes, that is needed because I have purposely tried to pull the trigger through the kit bag and it is possible, though unlikely. It's well worth the insurance in my opinion because I only carry chambered. I didn't get one from them though, I don't remember HPG selling them back then. I bought one from Raven concealment, the VG2 or something, basically in a pinch it could he used as a IWB holster on the hip if I wanted to switch and take off the kit bag to draw even less attention.

The reason why I say the HPG chest rig is best, is because you will find it far more useful than merely holding a gun, you'll sacrifice maybe half a second draw time for significantly more usefulness and concealability.

I use mine when I torture myself jogging the neighborhood. Full size G17, wallet, phone, keys. Spare mag if I feel like it. Basically none of it has to be in my pockets which would suck. I've also used it a lot fishing when hiking. You can keep some small necessities and the pistol easily accessible and walk around without needing a pack.

Last Edited:
Watch the Paul Harrell video comparing 10mm to .40 s&w factory loads. It's pretty disappointing that you're often just buying .40 in a longer case so you'll want to look into some hotter loads or roll your own to get 10mm benefit out of that pistol.

The ammo from big manufacturers is watered down 10mm for sure.

I bought some of these for the woods. Honestly, I don't know how hot they are.

I have Hornady 180gr XTP also.

If they ever get caught back up in production, https://minutemanammo.com/
Have some of the best, most consistent, and quality ammo you can get!
They also load it pretty hot ( as is should be ), so care must be taken if used it in your Glock. I have ran some of their loads through my G-20 and had no issues, but always test to make sure!

The Hill People gear gets my vote : https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1
I wish they had been around 40 years ago, I would not have to carry a 'pack' (jury rigged) on my chest. It was a bit inconvenient have to take off that and the backpack. How times change! The Recon version looks like it can be 'customized' to your desires.
If I bought another one it would be the heavy recon, but for now the recon suffices. The heavy recon wasn't available 8 years ago when I got mine.

I got one a couple weeks ago. I hadn't shot 10mm before that, but its a manageable recoil. I have a Safariland ALS being delivered today. You can get them on Amazon for about $35 and swap the mounting system for any of Safarilands holster mounting.
Got a link? I've bought three Safariland ALS holsters from Amazon, the cheapest being a 7000 series for about $50, the last one was a 6390RDS for $163 and I thought that was a pretty good deal.

Got a link? I've bought three Safariland ALS holsters from Amazon, the cheapest being a 7000 series for about $50, the last one was a 6390RDS for $163 and I thought that was a pretty good deal.

Was $35 when I ordered mine. Now $40

I bought some of these for the woods. Honestly, I don't know how hot they are.

I have Hornady 180gr XTP also.
I function tested my G20 with Hornady XTP and the Underwood 200 or 220gr hardcast. Both functioned fine. I've heard to not send too much hard cast down a Glock barrel to foul them. If you ever see Sig 10mm FMJ for a decent price, they are loaded to proper 10mm velocity. They were selling "blem" 10mm ammo a few weeks ago and I grabbed 500 rounds for a discount. Maybe 10 rounds in each box of 50 had a small imprint on the top flat of the projectile from the casting process. No big deal.

This thread has become multi-faceted.

Chest Holsters

Diamond D Guides Choice is the best of the best. Their leather chest holster is expensive, but if cost is less of an issue than quality and how well the item works, it's worth every cent.

Diamond D Denali is a well made but all synthetic holster, emulating the Guides Choice, for less money. This holster works every bit as well as the Guides Choice.

Detuned 10mm ammo? Only if that's what you're purposely buying. The ammo companies are still making full power loads for folks that are less concerned about their manicure than of the originally designed performance of the 10mm auto cartridge.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top