JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I finally finished my m44 scout, wanted to share and get some feedback!

mailgooglecom-1.jpg

Its a 1953 Hungarian model with un matched serials. The bolt is different from the rest of the gun but it shoots great. I have the bayonet but took it off to keep down on the weight.

Ive floated the barrel, polished the trigger as well as added a spring and shim to it. I polished the bore as well as the bolt, and fresh greased the internals.

It has a brass stacker mount, and an aim 2-7x42 mil dot scout scope, with the supplied rings. As soon as I track down cheap picatanny 30mm rings that are lower ill swap.

The scope caps are butler creek.

I have some smith sight fiber optic front sights on the way, in red and green.

Im debating a bent bolt as well as a synthetic stock, but I think the wood gives it a lot of character.

Im curious to hit the groups I can shoot now with the scope, I mostly shoot surplus spam can ammo so im sure ill have a few flyers.....id love to track down some match 54r ammo!

Let me know what you think, as long as its not a polishing a turd joke ,although for now it is a free country so voice your opinion regardless! :)

Thanks for looking!

Well, besides from the polishing a turd comment, I would say that the scope looks very high. I would wonder how good a cheek weld you could get. If you are going to maintain the current set-up, it may be worth considering a pad for the butt stock. Hope it shoots well...

...polishing a turd
You said it, I didn't.

All kidding aside, I've been thinking of some kind of cheap and fun carbine like the FBP16 I saw on youtube. In the bit of reading I've done on the moist nugget the idea of a super robust rifle/carbine really appeals to me and I'd keep any such build on that track. Your gun looks like you took one of those rock-solid carbines and added a bunch of stuff to it that doesn't really belong, is fragile and not all that functional (even with lower rings you're still going to be working on a "chin weld." With the FBP16 in mind I had a thought of milling the rear sight down to add a piece of rail and a little Aimpoint T1. While I think this would be low enough to use with a standard stock and very robust parts, its still adding electronic gizmos to a 100+ year old rifle design that, to me, just screams for ONLY iron sights. Thing is, like you pointed out, it is a free country (for now anyway) and we're all entitled to our opinions, including you. It is your rifle, so knock yourself out and bravo for posting it up here and asking for others to critique your project.

Haha you guys are killing me!

I already ordered some new lower rings...like I said they came with the scope, figured id try them out, but even looking through I feel weird resting my chin on the stock.

I also just sent my bolt out to have it turned down like the PU rifles.

Im still considering the composite stock, although im pretty well done putting money into this and would rather start a new project.

Haha you guys are killing me!

I already ordered some new lower rings...like I said they came with the scope, figured id try them out, but even looking through I feel weird resting my chin on the stock.

I also just sent my bolt out to have it turned down like the PU rifles.

Im still considering the composite stock, although im pretty well done putting money into this and would rather start a new project.

Dude, love it! Keep the wood.

I have been working on a Mosin 91/30 that I have been considering turning into t scout for the hell of it. Although, that scope is way to high, but still. If you are going to resto-mod a gun you have to keep the wood! Go to the range and make everybody ask what you are shooting, because it shoots so well. It's so much more fun when it's a gun that doesn't look like it would shoot like that. Total sleeper.

Does anybody make a two stage trigger for these beasts? My friend has one, and it is super fun to shoot, but the trigger just creeps and creeps and creeps and then BANG! Buttery smooth, just real unpurdicubble. $139 kinda' says it all, I guess. Worth every damned penny, though! Them russkies got a few things right. Like vacuum tubes!

Does anybody make a two stage trigger for these beasts? My friend has one, and it is super fun to shoot, but the trigger just creeps and creeps and creeps and then BANG! Buttery smooth, just real unpurdicubble. $139 kinda' says it all, I guess. Worth every damned penny, though! Them russkies got a few things right. Like vacuum tubes!

There is a spring mod, like I did that kind of makes it two stage, or the Finns had an actual 2 stage on their mosins....you can pick those up for 30$ or so.

Also to use the lowest rings you will need to cut off some of the rail. My question is do you think a mojo sight will fit under the brass stacker? I know it is made to keep the irons. How much clearance is there under it?? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Also to use the lowest rings you will need to cut off some of the rail. My question is do you think a mojo sight will fit under the brass stacker? I know it is made to keep the irons. How much clearance is there under it?? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Honestly I have no idea what a mojo sight is.....there isnt much space though, I can click it too 200 yards but thats about it.

I was also thinking about doing a scout. But, I can't get myself to ruin a M44 or M38. I was thinking that if I got a $109 Big 5 M91/30 and chopped that counter bored barrel back. Then, I'd be ahead of the game cost wise.

But, like many other projects.....I got side tracked and sold my "project rifle."

Good luck to you.

Aloha, Mark

PS..........I haven't seen a $109 Mosin since X-mas time.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top