JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
iomatic,if you are somewhat mechanically inclined,the dillon 550b..in fact most prgressives...can be used to load ammo one round at at time,until you know what each stage is doing,etc. then you can load it up and produce a round with every handle pull.
a lot of folks associate a 'prgressive' with going fast. No reason to,it'll only go as fast as you make it go. Let speed come with experience.

iomatic,if you are somewhat mechanically inclined,the dillon 550b..in fact most prgressives...can be used to load ammo one round at at time,until you know what each stage is doing,etc. then you can load it up and produce a round with every handle pull.
a lot of folks associate a 'prgressive' with going fast. No reason to,it'll only go as fast as you make it go. Let speed come with experience.

Ditto on that last statement. Biggest errors occur when trying to go faster than your experience. Develop a routine and in time it will become fast.

Progressive "speed" doesn't come from pulling the handle as fast as you can, it comes from not wasting time. Those who use their progressives in an nice steady rythym, which may look slow to some, often end up loading more ammo in an hour than those who are "slammers".

Just remember, 500 rounds per hour gives you a full 7 seconds to complete a cycle of the handle.

although you may upgrade to a progrssive later you can always use the single for large magnum rifle or other which you most likely would not do on a progressive.

And then there are those that do use their progressives for this type of ammo. Rather than use the powder dispenser, many have installed a die like the Lee universal powder die with just a funnel in it. When the handle is down, just add powder that you have measured and weighed then continue until the handle is down again.

I've started doing this for my accuracy loads in .308. Gives me the ability to produce one round per pull of the handle yet still have the accurate powder charges that 1/4 MOA rounds need. Only a little slower than using the press mounted powder dispenser. Using an RCBS Chargemaster, I get a precisely weighed charge of powder that I can drop in the funnel every 15 seconds. This gives me a rate of 200 rounds per hour, allowing for adding primers and powder.

Just another way get more use out of a progressive if you want.

And then there are those that do use their progressives for this type of ammo. Rather than use the powder dispenser, many have installed a die like the Lee universal powder die with just a funnel in it. When the handle is down, just add powder that you have measured and weighed then continue until the handle is down again.

I've started doing this for my accuracy loads in .308. Gives me the ability to produce one round per pull of the handle yet still have the accurate powder charges that 1/4 MOA rounds need. Only a little slower than using the press mounted powder dispenser. Using an RCBS Chargemaster, I get a precisely weighed charge of powder that I can drop in the funnel every 15 seconds. This gives me a rate of 200 rounds per hour, allowing for adding primers and powder.

Just another way get more use out of a progressive if you want.

it's funny I thought motorcycle racing was the most expensive sport/hobby ever. I've been corrected - thanks

Thanks. I would rather buy a progressive and have all I need than buy a single-stage and realize 3 months later I want a progressive. I realize not everything is like that — baby steps are always a good idea. But it's nice to get a head start on things wherever possible.

Trying to think of other analogies (maybe buying the biggest house you can barely afford?)

Thanks. I would rather buy a progressive and have all I need than buy a single-stage and realize 3 months later I want a progressive. I realize not everything is like that — baby steps are always a good idea. But it's nice to get a head start on things wherever possible.

Trying to think of other analogies (maybe buying the biggest house you can barely afford?)

uh huh. not impossible but more involved. good luck.

Let's not overlook boats and (pause-----shuffle----swallow----clear throat----take deep breath) Women!

Looking back, I'd have more money if I had just stuck with boats, motorcycles, and guns. ;);)
yeah - you cant get around women - that's a life expense, but you nailed the boat thing. I can only imagine the nickel and diming pain.

yeah - you cant get around women - that's a life expense, but you nailed the boat thing. I can only imagine the nickel and diming pain.

if a boat was truly a matter of "nickels and dimes". Any item, regardless of how many other uses it has, that has the description "Marine" on it costs anywhere from 2-5 times as much as the same item that doesn't.

A boat is aptly described as "A hole in the water that you throw your money into". I used to have a 35' twin engine cruiser. Too long, too wide, and too heavy (13 tons) for a trailer so I had to pay moorage. Of course a 35 footer only seems to fit in a 40 foot slip and they charge for the full 40, not just what you use.

I'm down to just a wife and guns now.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads