JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live in Eugene, Oregon and I bought my first handgun (Ruger SR40) last night! I grew up out in the country where we would shoot in our backyard, so I've never shot on BLM land or in a rifle range. What are the laws and regulations of where you can and can't shoot? Also do I have to get any sort of permit or anything? And if I do, how do I go about doing that? Is there a place online that has a list regulations and what the laws are?

I've heard about a place called Shotgun Creek outside of Springfield, Oregon and I was planning on driving out there this weekend. Does anyone have a favorite place to shoot out there or anywhere else near Eugene?

PS, I'm a 22 year old girl, so if you could include specific directions of places to go that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

If you want to know about Oregon's gun laws. Check out: Oregon Firearms Federation
This book should be owned by all gun owners in Oregon.

+1 Public lands rules are based on the agency. Most will allow shooting unless you're shooting across a road or other unsafe activity. There are plenty of areas you can't shoot. Many are posted but its still wise to look at the regulations where you'll be.

no permit needed until you're ready to carry concealed.best advise for 22 year old girl(or man) is bring a friend if your going to shoot outdoors.
if you have an accident you will need a friend to get you some help.and even better an experienced friend who can teach you safety from the start so you dont learn bad habbits that will get you hurt.

i grew up in veneta and there were some good spots out there to shoot.

by the way i am a seasoned shooter and still text my oldest brother everytime i go to the hills too shoot just so he knows if he dont hear from me by dark to come looking for me.
its a smart thing to do.if you had a bullet wound you wouldn't last long in the woods.

Pick an area that is a dead end with some sort of backstop (berm, hill, etc), and shoot em up. Just make sure you're not on private property.

Up McGowan is a nice little range though if you want cover and a safe place to shoot by yourself.

Thank you! I found it for $4 on amazon! I look forward to reading it.

Make sure to find the year it was published. Earlier editions will require more research into legislative changes and court decisions to be complete. Overall, early versions are still a good reference.

I live in Eugene, Oregon and I bought my first handgun (Ruger SR40) last night! I grew up out in the country where we would shoot in our backyard, so I've never shot on BLM land or in a rifle range. What are the laws and regulations of where you can and can't shoot? Also do I have to get any sort of permit or anything? And if I do, how do I go about doing that? Is there a place online that has a list regulations and what the laws are?

I've heard about a place called Shotgun Creek outside of Springfield, Oregon and I was planning on driving out there this weekend. Does anyone have a favorite place to shoot out there or anywhere else near Eugene?

PS, I'm a 22 year old girl, so if you could include specific directions of places to go that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I live a couple miles from shotgun, its a good place. There's a place called bunker hill about a mile southeast of there thats also good. Just keep a extra magazine loaded in a pocket while your shooting, if you go somewhere out in the woods by yourself (guy or girl). Never can be too safe or know whats on other peoples minds.

Hey, congrats on the SR40. :) My boyfriend and I go shooting outside of Springfield pretty often, but I don't remember the roads since he drives. Maybe we could go shooting sometime though.

Emerald empire gun club (Mcgowan Creek range) is open to the public Wednesday thru Sunday and will let you shoot your new gun for free the first time if you show them your reciept. They have targets, benches, eye & ear protection available at modest prices also. It would be a good place to get started. Most of the people there could point you in the right direction for safe & legal public shooting areas as well.

Be safe & have fun!

If at some point you do decide to carry a sidearm for personal protection, or for that matter if you don't, there's a great web site geared specifically for women (some good advice for guys there too) that covers a number of issues regarding firearms safety, choice of firearms, things you need to consider if you do decide you are interested in carrying a firearm for personal protection, and a plethora of other info you may find useful.

It's called "The Cornered Cat" and here is a link:

Cornered Cat

I hope you find it informative and useful.

Vaultman has it right. The OFF has the best guide to Oregon's confusing and sometimes contradictory laws around. Ken Starrett has done an admirable job. Every Oregon CHL holder should have this book as his/hers bible.

I don't know any outdoor shooting spots in your area, but I really like Baron's Den for indoor shop/range. You can rent guns to check em out too.

I don't know any outdoor shooting spots in your area, but I really like Baron's Den for indoor shop/range. You can rent guns to check em out too.

I can second Baron's, although I live on the coast and have a great range at Florence Rod and Gun Club, Baron's is where I go to rent and try before I buy. And, you can shoot and be warm and dry!! :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top